Manually calibrating compass in RC2 controller
230 2 3-4 09:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

Anyone know a trick to manually get the RC2 to calibrate its compass? When I attempt to calibrate it, it lets me hit start and then goes straight to done without letting me move the controller around.
I've been struggling with a disappearing AR homepoint with my Mini 4 Pro and RC2 for a few months now. I've refreshed the firmware of all concerned with the Assist 2 twice. I recently did a complete calibration on my MC2 that I use with the Mini 4 Pro and Integra goggles as I was getting a near constant warning message in the goggles of Interference in MC Location. Although I had calibrated the MC2 in a couple different locations previously as per DJI's suggestion, in an area free of interference, metal and concrete etc, doing so had no effect on the warning message.
So, I had the thought to calibrate the MC2 in my backyard, surrounded by buidings, chainlink fence, metal structures and concrete pad to see what effect that might have. In fact I did the IMU calibration on the somewhat level conrete pads. And guess what, the Interference in MC location warning is now gone, and I mean gone as in it never appears, lol.

With both my Mini 3 Pro and Mini 4 Pro, I've always gone to the trouble of calibrating the drone's compass out in the country, away from interference and even keep my phone and key fob far away.  

I thought why not try calibrating the Mini 4's compass in the backyard and see what happens. What happened is I was able to fly 4 batteries through the drone before the AR homepoint disappeared again. Usually it would happen within the first 5 minutes of flight. I was also able to use a method another member on here suggested, after the AR homepoint disappeared, he approached within 20 meters of the homepoint and then backed up and away, and it would re appear for him. I've never been able to get this to happen, but now it does. The AR homepoint even appeared to continue working afterward.

So thats a lot of background information to explain why I want to find a method to calibrate the RC2 compass in the backyard. I finally have everything else sorted with my combo of Mini 4 Pro, RC2, Integra goggles and MC2. Just need to fix this AR homepoint issue and I never need to update it again

3-4 09:33
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Manitobahunter. Just to confirm, the only issue that you're having right now is the disappearing AR homepoint.
3-7 18:58
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

Hi DJI Gamora, I was able to get the Interference in MC Location popup warning to go away completely, apparently by calibrating the MC2 controller in an area with a lot of interference, my backyard.... with lots of metal chain link fence, houses, some metal poles and electrical wires, no doubt pipes running in the ground, and probably 20+ close wifi signals. I later did the same with the Mini 4 Pro, I did a compass calibration in my backyard, and first time out, I ran 3 batteries worth of flight time through it before the AR homepoint dissapeared and second trip out flying, I just ran one battery through it and the AR homepoint was there the whole time. Of interest is on the first flight test, once the AR homepoint disappeared, I was able to get it back by using a method another poster on here described, coming up close and then backing away and up, and it reappeared. The first time I re approched, it disappeared again, and after my second up and backing away it actually stayed on till I landed the drone.
So I'd say it was definitely affected by the compass calibration, why I don't really know. But it didn't solve the issue as it still disappeared after a certain point, and does so in no consistent way, so beasically it can't be relied upon, which is too bad, as it is an extremetly useful feature when working properly .

The reason I am asking for a tip calibrating the RC2 compass, is I am wondering if calibrating it in a location with lots of interference would also improve the AR homepoint situation further.

3-7 20:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules