319 25 3-5 08:00
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kayasaman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5971 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I have just picked up an Action4, Air3 Pro and Pocket3 is on back order. Does anyone know if the 3.5mm mic input adapter for the Osmo4 can work with a stereo mic in 2-channel mode?

I'd like to pair it to a Sennheiser MKE440 stereo mic to use of ambient sound as I have the DJI Mic2 arriving with my Pocket3 in addition.

Thanks.
3-5 08:00
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

@Fishycomics and/or @Andreas Dück are the one to answer this
3-5 10:58
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Thanks @Johansenfoto

Question the adapter referring to is it the Official DJI $40.00 one, that I do not have.  
3-5 11:25
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

WayneRECS on YT did a review of the adaptor & probably covered mic input types…
3-5 11:31
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

input is trs stereo, you can use also the usbc input
wireless bt only mono
IMG_20240211_220501.jpg
3-5 11:47
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

lutzmix Posted at 3-5 11:47
input is trs stereo, you can use also the usbc input

That ulanzi cold shoe mount is like gold dust I’ve been hunting amzn for one for ages still not found one, nice setup.
3-5 11:55
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-5 11:31
WayneRECS on YT did a review of the adaptor & probably covered mic input types… https://youtu.be/lFppNvyCI-A?si=c_oLFqIkxoaYYJoP

This is a really cool video!

I wonder if it is actually referring to impedance matching rather then gain differential?

It is quite similar in the studio when using a mixing console and microphones of different types or even more commonly loudspeakers and headphones that have different sensitivities....

Good thing that they looked at the spectral analysis too as overlaying two different recordings would show you if there was any difference in the captures based noise floor, harmonics, distortion etc....
3-5 12:30
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

kayasaman Posted at 3-5 12:30
This is a really cool video!

I wonder if it is actually referring to impedance matching rather then gain differential?

I think it's also interesting that he used the Sennheiser MKE200 and found the level to not be high enough.

The 440 that I am looking at has switchable sensitivity but without knowing exactly the dB rating or impedance of each, it is not exactly clear if one would need a pre-amplifier or not

This is interesting as I don't think it would be very practical for field work if that was required.

Maybe something like the Zoom field recorder suggested to me in a different thread would be a better option but then you need to synchronize the time codes of each device or use studio based SMTPE style time code.

My actual idea for when the Action4 is mounted somewhere, is to use  a plate with a dual 1/4" thread to have the camera and mic sitting in tandem.

I have no idea if this is even doable with the Pocket3 in addition as I was definitely looking at linking it to the object tracking feature of the camera.... as in a nice transition from one channel to the other as a subject moves through the frame.

Without having to load the audio up in something like Pro Tools or Ardour  to create that in post.
3-5 12:45
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It looks like the Pocket 3 has the ability to use a 3.5mm to USB ADC converter:

I wonder if the DJI original one will work with it?

That would be perfect ;-)
3-6 05:07
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this to our relevant team for further clarification. We will keep you posted.
3-6 21:51
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-6 21:51
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this to our relevant team for further clarification. We will keep you posted.

Thank you!

I think it should work as I have gone through the manual and it does I think say somewhere that a USB to analog 3.5mm converter can be used.

There seems to be some evidence from in this video in addition:

I think....?

I have been studying a lot of material recently which looks positive on this count.
3-7 05:16
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kayasaman Posted at 3-7 05:16
Thank you!

I think it should work as I have gone through the manual and it does I think say somewhere that a USB to analog 3.5mm converter can be used.

I’m using a Hollyland 3.5mm TRS Male to USB Type C DSP Headphone Jack Audio Adapter Cable I got on amzn on the Action4. To attach the rx unit works a treat to so, wanted a short coil cable for on the motorcycle.
3-7 11:05
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-7 11:05
I’m using a Hollyland 3.5mm TRS Male to USB Type C DSP Headphone Jack Audio Adapter Cable I got on amzn on the Action4. To attach the rx unit works a treat to so, wanted a short coil cable for on the motorcycle.

I think it's just a case of USB-C to ADC (input) or DAC (output) will work.

It seems to be that the Action4 and Pocket3 have standard drivers or code segments embedded to facilitate the using of these devices supporting 'standard' communication.

I'm just just about to sort everything out and it looks like the Sennheiser MKE440 also has a built in battery powered pre-amplifier so there should be no issues with signal level either.

Right now the only thing that I need is for the Pocket3 to be delivered as unfortunately it is on back order :-(

Also need to get some air time with my Air3 too as I have only used it indoors so far....
3-7 11:11
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kayasaman Posted at 3-7 11:11
I think it's just a case of USB-C to ADC (input) or DAC (output) will work.

It seems to be that the Action4 and Pocket3 have standard drivers or code segments embedded to facilitate the using of these devices supporting 'standard' communication.

Hope you have a patterned floor for visual it could get messy if it loses gps lock, Air 3 looks a good bit of kit but until the Dft & CAA sort their act out I’m not moving off my M3P got out of heavier stuff when they started messing with regs once it settles I may look again but I have doubts on the 2026 date current given history so far.
3-7 11:21
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-7 11:21
Hope you have a patterned floor for visual it could get messy if it loses gps lock, Air 3 looks a good bit of kit but until the Dft & CAA sort their act out I’m not moving off my M3P got out of heavier stuff when they started messing with regs once it settles I may look again but Inhavecdoubtsconbthe 2026vdate given history so far.

Yeah... take off and landing seems ok

I understand your concerns and actually I signed up for the A2 certification as I have no idea what I am doing either..... I mean I want a place like the Yukon or Alaska around me but that's a luxury I'm afraid.

The Air3 has better wind resistance so I thought it be a good option for when am up the top of high hills or mountains as it can get quite gusty.

It is nice though but I have no idea of where to use the thing around me as it seems that unless you're somewhere in the middle of the wilderness it's not possible to use it around these shores? :-(
3-7 11:27
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kayasaman Posted at 3-7 11:27
Yeah... take off and landing seems ok

I understand your concerns and actually I signed up for the A2 certification as I have no idea what I am doing either..... I mean I want a place like the Yukon or Alaska around me but that's a luxury I'm afraid.

Basics regs are pretty easy to learn would recommend doing so given the new fixed penalties plod have access to now.  For the A3 you’ll need to stay minimum 150m away from anyone and buildings, that reduces to 50m if you gain an A2 CofC.  Make sure you are registered & have your Operator Id & flyer id with the Operator Id on a sticker on the drone.  I’d definitely advise you checkout the CAA drone regs site & maybe watch some Geeksvana you tube vids on the current state of play. Most of all do not exceed the 120m height limit.  Recommend downloading and using Drone Assist app.
3-7 11:39
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-7 11:39
Basics regs are pretty easy to learn would recommend doing so given the new fixed penalties plod have access to now.  For the A3 you’ll need to stay minimum 150m away from anyone and buildings, that reduces to 50m if you gain an A2 CofC.  Make sure you are registered & have your Operator Id & flyer id with the Operator Id on a sticker on the drone.  I’d definitely advise you checkout the CAA drone regs site & maybe watch some Geeksvana you tube vids on the current state of play. Most of all do not exceed the 120m height limit.  Recommend downloading and using Drone Assist app.

Yep done all of these....

In fact I got my Operator ID and Flyer ID way before the purchase of the drone itself. Today earlier I labeled it with the OID.

I'm using a mixture of NOATM website, No Fly Drones website and "Drone Assist" and "UAV Forecast" apps. Also been on the CAA website and read everything. I think a lot of it seems open to interpretation as I probably I didn't understand 100% what they were trying to say.

I'm not really intending to fly around town but I think after the A2 Certification I can....

The really crazy thing is that it seems like everywhere I wana go is locked down by something or other... I mean you can't fly anywhere that is operated by a "Trust" without their permission so that leaves only public land away from buildings. Like you said 150m.... where about can you find that?

Hopefully the A2 certification material will open things up as I definitely didn't understand much from the CAA material while doing the "Operator test", aside from "no" you can't fly anywhere as everywhere is built up and there are people all over the place..... really confusing!!
Not to mention that from what I understood you aren't allowed to use automatic fly points like Waypoints or POI's and you can't use features like Active Track either as you must be in control of the aircraft at all times.... so that really sucks while driving down quiet country lanes or bridle ways
3-7 11:49
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kayasaman Posted at 3-7 11:49
Yep done all of these....

In fact I got my Operator ID and Flyer ID way before the purchase of the drone itself. Today earlier I labeled it with the OID.

You should checkout UAVhub you can do  A2 CofC material for free gives a good grounding before signing up & paying for exam.  It seems you are finding out how difficult flying over 250g can be currentl that’s why I dropped to the mini series until we have common sense restored, we should have had a few in A1 space by now but we dropped the classification labels another win for brexit.
3-7 12:14
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-7 12:14
You should checkout UAVhub you can do  A2 CofC material for free gives a good grounding before signing up & paying for exam.  It seems you are finding out how difficult flying over 250g can be currentl that’s why I dropped to the mini series until we have common sense restored, we should have had a few in A1 space by now but we dropped the classification labels another win for brexit.

I would have had the same problem with sub 250g.... it was the reason I spent around 3 hours in the store  asking the poor guy so many questions. He has a wealth of experience, can't remember if he was certified to train but still.....

Apologies if wasn't clear I am currently doing the A2 certificate so on the UAVHub course right now and currently reading over the:
A2 CERTIFICATE OF
COMPETENCY AIDE-MEMOIRE

material.....

The problem for me is that people are everywhere and buildings are everywhere, so even 50m is hard as everywhere you look in the area I am based contains buildings and people. It's only after you start driving for a few hours where you don't see anyone but then the land is owned by different entities.

Personally I think drones in this country are difficult whichever the way you look!

I checked a Youtube vid out of a guy over in Holland with the Air3 giving a run down on it for beginners. There were windmills and people and no problem.... he was cycling on his bike and the drone was tracking him no problem!

On the OID test... the question about a bike and Active Track came up and the answer is "No" you cannot use the drone because you are not in control of it and cannot see it....

I think another YT video I watched also claimed that there was confusion within the governing of drones laws in the UK as they aren't exactly the same as the EU regs anymore since they seemed to have tightened things down further and become even more restrictive...

....well.... it's what I understood after all that anyway <sigh>
3-7 12:26
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kayasaman Posted at 3-7 12:26
I would have had the same problem with sub 250g.... it was the reason I spent around 3 hours in the store  asking the poor guy so many questions. He has a wealth of experience, can't remember if he was certified to train but still.....

Apologies if wasn't clear I am currently doing the A2 certificate so on the UAVHub course right now and currently reading over the:

Flying 250g is not as restrictive as drones over this weight, you can fly 250g over people (not crowds) and fly closer to buildings, you should only watch regulation videos based on uk rules.  I strongly suggest you check out Geeksvana who has specific videos on current & changing regs.  Good luck with A2 exam.
3-7 12:33
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-7 12:33
Flying 250g is not as restrictive as drones over this weight, you can fly 250g over people (not crowds) and fly closer to buildings, you should only watch regulation videos based on uk rules.  I strongly suggest you check out Geeksvana who has specific videos on current & changing regs.  Good luck with A2 exam.

Thank you.....

I will definitely check out the videos as well
3-7 14:17
Use props
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.3

Spain

Just to confirm, yes, the 3.5mm to USB-C adapter will support a stereo mic. I just tested it with the Rode Stereo Videomic Pro and it is fine... also, using the BOYA BY-K4 adapter is fine too. Also full stereo mic support with that one.  You actually get somewhat higher levels with the BY-K4.
3-7 23:49
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Natural Sounds and Sights Posted at 3-7 23:49
Just to confirm, yes, the 3.5mm to USB-C adapter will support a stereo mic. I just tested it with the Rode Stereo Videomic Pro and it is fine... also, using the BOYA BY-K4 adapter is fine too. Also full stereo mic support with that one.  You actually get somewhat higher levels with the BY-K4.

Thank you so much for that, I really appreciate everyone's input :-)
3-8 01:35
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

kayasaman Posted at 3-7 05:16
Thank you!

Hi there. Thank you for patiently waiting. Are you using the DJI Osmo Action 3.5mm Audio Adapter? Generally, it can connect an external microphone with a 3.5mm port for audio output. If you experience any issues when using it, please provide us a photo showing the connection and accessory of the mic for further checking. Wish you have a great day ahead!
3-8 05:52
Use props
kayasaman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-8 05:52
Hi there. Thank you for patiently waiting. Are you using the DJI Osmo Action 3.5mm Audio Adapter? Generally, it can connect an external microphone with a 3.5mm port for audio output. If you experience any issues when using it, please provide us a photo showing the connection and accessory of the mic for further checking. Wish

Thanks for the response.

I am not using it yet as I'm about to purchase it so I was wondering if it was what I was looking for.

It seems like it is and based on other users information I think that it will be fine.
3-8 06:08
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

kayasaman Posted at 3-8 06:08
Thanks for the response.

I am not using it yet as I'm about to purchase it so I was wondering if it was what I was looking for.

You are very much welcome. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your valued support.
3-9 00:30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules