2946 24 3-8 04:18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29764 ft
Germany

Hello,

I bought an Action 4 in Germany and the firmware ist obviously under the EU regulations which shuts the camera off at 48° Celcius.
I will move to the US where the EU regulation is not required. Is there a way to install non EU firmware on my Action 4 or do I have to purchase a Gopro Hero 12 to get rid of the overheating shutdown?
Best regards
Mannheimer
3-8 04:18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Is there really a rule in Europe that says you have to shut down cameras at 48deg C?
3-8 04:37
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Mannheimer. Thank you for reaching out. This is a good question, let me confirm this with our relevant team.
3-8 04:47
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

So you want gopro that doesn't protect you?

Not sure it is 48c more like closer to 70c or so
3-8 07:05
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 3-8 07:05
So you want gopro that doesn't protect you?

Not sure it is 48c more like closer to 70c or so

Yes, I want a Gopro that kills me.
But let's be serious: There is a rule in the EU which leads to shorter recording times with the Action 4, it doesn't matter if is 48, 53, 54.23123123° or any other number. The fact is: it shuts down earlier and I don't want that when I don't have to.
You can easily check this by watching overheating tests from Action 4 on youtube. There are people getting 1h+ recording and there are some only getting ~25min. Guess where the youtubers come from.

But can we please not focus on an existing fact I already checked and focus on the main question. Thanks

PS: if you want to look it up yourself it is stated in the regulation SFS-EN IEC 62368-1:2020. The temperature a device is allowed to reach depends on the type of expected interaction with the user.
3-8 07:23
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

MANNHEIMER Posted at 3-8 07:23
Yes, I want a Gopro that kills me.
But let's be serious: There is a rule in the EU which leads to shorter recording times with the Action 4, it doesn't matter if is 48, 53, 54.23123123° or any other number. The fact is: it shuts down earlier and I don't want that when I don't have to.
You can easily check this by watching overheating tests from Action 4 on youtube. There are people getting 1h+ recording and there are some only getting ~25min. Guess where the youtubers come from.

What I ment is if gopro doesn't follow EU laws, then you are not protected against if the camera get faulty by overheating.
I know about all the overheating, we have been discussing it here on the forum for about 2 years or so now and with OA3 it only needed a .txt file for override that.

But OA4 is not ment to be used for vlogging, not announced as a vlogging camera like OA3 were.
Also gopro overheats way faster in most tests against OA4.

How you use/plan to use your camera?
3-8 14:00
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

What I've gathered so far, and you can find out too if you do some online reading, that most of the time the culprit is the memory card and not whether your FW is US or EU based. Most of the "overheat comparison" tests on YT don't even mention what memory card they're using. I think the real test would be is to use the same memory card in 3 or more of the SAME cameras. Say you have have five Osmo Action 4 cameras.

1. Put the memory card into camera 1. Run the test.
2. Remove the memory card from camera 1 and put it in camera 2. Run the test.
3. Repeat in all cameras.

Ideally, you should get very close results in each camera because you used the exact same memory card. If one of the results is substantially different, then you know it's an issue with the camera (possibly battery).

"There are people getting 1h+ recording and there are some only getting ~25min. Guess where the youtubers come from."
I dunno. Where? I'm in the EU and although I only did a heat test once with my OA3, I got over 1 hour recording on 4k 30 (I believe it was 30fps). The camera didn't overheat. The battery died. The camera wasn't even hot. It was warm but not hot by any means.

You did not say anything about whether your camera overheats or not. If your camera doesn't even overheat, why even bother with the FW? If it does, i'd try other memory cards first.

3-8 15:11
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 3-8 15:11
What I've gathered so far, and you can find out too if you do some online reading, that most of the time the culprit is the memory card and not whether your FW is US or EU based. Most of the "overheat comparison" tests on YT don't even mention what memory card they're using. I think the real test would be is to use the same memory card in 3 or more of the SAME cameras. Say you have have five Osmo Action 4 cameras.

1. Put the memory card into camera 1. Run the test.
As I mentioned above, I don't want to discuss about facts. I did my research and tested enough to know that the shorter recording time due to overheating is based on the EU firmware.

A bad SD card will make the camera heat up quicker, and wind or cold environments will reduce overheating but there will always be a difference between EU and non EU firmware.
Even non EU firmware can cause overheating but since the threshold is much higher it will take longer.

I just did a test with Gopro Hero 11 and OA4 with the same card and got 31 minutes recording on the OA4 and 48 minutes from the Hero 11. I then picked a OA4 with US firmware, the exact same sd card and surprise the OA4 recorded over 110 minutes untill the battery died. The environment and recording was 100% identical. Settings were 4k 30fps and factory reset.

The test confirmed what I allready knew, so let's please focus on a solution and not about if there is a problem or not.
3-8 16:48
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

das Abschalten der Kamera wird doch ueber den Standort geregelt?Sobald die Mimo App benutzt wird ist die Begrenzung wieder an! Einfacher geht es mit dem Crackfile
3-8 20:06
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-8 04:47
Hi, Mannheimer. Thank you for reaching out. This is a good question, let me confirm this with our relevant team.

Hello, Have you been able to find out more about this topic?
3-14 02:49
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

MANNHEIMER Posted at 3-14 02:49

Hi, Mannheimer. Please check my DM regarding the topic we discussed. Thank you.
3-14 19:41
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just remember to reapply if you format the card
3-14 21:09
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-8 04:37
Is there really a rule in Europe that says you have to shut down cameras at 48deg C?

Yes, pretty much, theres an easy solution though
3-14 21:09
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some cameras include a switch in the menu system to overcome this, so I’m guessing that this is perfectly legal and perhaps something that could be incorporated into the Actions?
There was even a time when cameras didn't offer 30fps in the UK. 25 or 25i and that was it. Sony camcorders STILL do this unless you hack them.
3-15 01:13
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

I've made further overheating tests which lead to an interesting result:

Action 4 EU Software --> Overheating after 34 minutes --> Camera was warm, but comfortable to hold
GoPro Hero 11 --> Overheating after 52 minutes --> Camera was very hot, can't hold it longer than 5 or 6 seconds , the metal mount at the bottom was even to hot to touch
Action 4 US Software --> 113 minutes recording until battery died --> Camera was just before very hot, but could be hold in the hand

I don't have a thermometer but according to my own sensitvity the GoPro got way hotter than even the Action 4 in the US Version.
Gopro defenitly has a highter overheating threshold or is just measuring on a different point in the camera. Otherwhise I can't explain why both cameras under EU regulation shut down on different temperatures.

3-15 02:41
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Think the hottest I got my camera and reading was 163 degrees  yeah the front was too hot to handle, could have  Melted cheese on it (vic Barry may have done that years ago Lol)
3-15 03:37
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 3-15 03:37
Think the hottest I got my camera and reading was 163 degrees  yeah the front was too hot to handle, could have  Melted cheese on it (vic Barry may have done that years ago Lol)

Are you talking celsius or the crazy I don't have any precise scalable meaning fahrenheit
3-15 03:42
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

MANNHEIMER Posted at 3-15 03:42
Are you talking celsius or the crazy I don't have any precise scalable meaning fahrenheit

oh the humor
3-15 03:46
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

So you gave me two answers. It is fahrenheit and you don't have humor

Anyway 164 Fahrenheit (73°C) is still quite hot. At 60°C Protein stagnates.
3-15 03:50
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

MANNHEIMER Posted at 3-15 03:50
So you gave me two answers. It is fahrenheit and you don't have humor

Anyway 164 Fahrenheit (73°C) is still quite hot. At 60°C Protein stagnates.

too hot to handle was a great Movie. and yeah like hte three stooges,  back to the Billboard (topic)
3-15 04:47
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Nah, that was the title of my cooking show.
3-15 15:05
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

3-15 15:11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

think i said in this vid 168  degrees

3-15 15:13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Mannheimer. Please check my updated DM regarding the topic we discussed. Thank you.
3-19 00:25
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

lutzmix Posted at 3-8 20:06
das Abschalten der Kamera wird doch ueber den Standort geregelt?Sobald die Mimo App benutzt wird ist die Begrenzung wieder an! Einfacher geht es mit dem Crackfile

IMG_20240329_100927.jpg
3-29 01:32
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules