jammed GPS
759 23 3-9 09:16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vkondra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1177257 ft
Israel

How drone will behave if GPS is jammed? Assume I launched a drone and GPS was OK, but when drone raises 20m up, it see itself, according to the GPS, 500km aside from the home point. It will still see lots of satellites, GPS signal is strong and good.
What drone will do in this situation?
It is not a theoretical question, I see this every dau and for now I am not using my drone due to concern it may go crazy.
3-9 09:16
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

This spoofing, a method of protection against drones, is often used over objects where drones are prohibited from flying, but there are no official NFZs. Most often, a special transmitter broadcasts false coordinates on a GPS frequency that coincide with the coordinates of the official NFZ, for example an airport. The drone, when it receives these coordinates, assumes that it has entered the NFZ and immediately lands, regardless of the actions of the pilot.
But even if a special transmitter broadcasts coordinates other than the NFZ, this is also very dangerous, because this is only one coordinate and it will not change regardless of the drone’s movement. The drone will react to the operator’s action, but the coordinate does not change, the drone thinks that there is a strong headwind and increases the rotation of the motors, all this will lead to unpredictable behavior of the drone and the inability to control it. This is a very dangerous situation and you should not fly where there is spoofing.
3-9 10:08
Use props
fansf240c01f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

post deleted
3-9 10:41
Use props
_dji_user_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1687385 ft
Estonia

Serious GPS interference has been observed in many parts of Europe. Drone pilots claim it is causing flyaway. Is it true that electronic warfare tools to jam and spoof gps and rc signal can cause flyaway?
https://gpsjam.org/
3-9 13:39
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

_dji_user_ Posted at 3-9 13:39
Serious GPS interference has been observed in many parts of Europe. Drone pilots claim it is causing flyaway. Is it true that electronic warfare tools to jam and spoof gps and rc signal can cause flyaway?
https://gpsjam.org/

Is it true that electronic warfare tools to jam and spoof gps and rc signal can cause flyaway?

The term "flyaway" used in this forum is almost meaningless.
The control signals for DJI drones are encrypted, so it would be difficult for anyone to take over control of your drone.
GPS jamming could cause your drone to lose GPS reception.
Without GPS, your drone would still be controllable, but would lose horizontal position holding ability.
It would drift with the wind and be unable to use RTH.

GPS spoofing could make the drone incorrectly think it is somewhere else,  a long way from where you are flying.
That would initiatelow battery RTH but because of the false location data, it wouldn't bring the drone home.
3-9 15:59
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

gpsjam.org is rubbish. These are statistics established on the data (ADSB) emitted by aircraft. It is an average of the precision of the onboard GNSS system AND the inertial unit.

I fly my drones often in red zones, including on the border with our Russian neighbor.  So far, up to 120m, I never had any GNSS problems.  

And to come back to what was written above, no, satellites and spoofers do not transmit coordinates.  

The opinion that seems closest to reality to me is that of Labroides.

You should not rule out the jammer or the spoofer, but you should also not ignore the fact that the drone may be faulty.  A GNSS antenna that has an insulation fault can cause this type of anomaly. Have you tried in another area? With another drone maybe ?

Good luck
3-9 22:46
Use props
vkondra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1177257 ft
Israel

Thanks all, I see most are thinking more or less same direction as me - it is dangerous to fly in area of GPS interference.
In my case it is clearly spoofing. Google map on my phone very often says I'm far away from where I really is. It is war zone, so I know the reason.
3-9 22:58
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. If the aircraft's compass experiences interference or if the GPS is weak in the area, the drone will automatically change to Attitude mode (ATTI). During this mode, the aircraft may be more easily affected by its surroundings. Environmental factors such as wind can result in horizontal shifting, which may present hazards especially when flying in confined spaces. The aircraft will not be able to hover or brake automatically. Therefore, you should land the aircraft as soon as possible to avoid accidents. Hope this helps.
3-9 23:01
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-9 23:01
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. If the aircraft's compass experiences interference or if the GPS is weak in the area, the drone will automatically change to Attitude mode (ATTI). During this mode, the aircraft may be more easily affected by its surroundings. Environmental factors such as wind can result in horizontal shifting, which may present hazards especially when flying in confined spaces. The aircraft will not be able to hover or brake automatically. Therefore, you should land the aircraft as soon as possible to avoid accidents. Hope this helps.

But in this specific case where the position of the drone remains physically the same, and the GNSS receiver suddenly displays a gap of several kilometers, is the drone protected against a hypothetical uncontrolled RTH?  

Does it have the ability to detect a sudden change in coordinates and automatically enter ATTI?
3-9 23:12
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-9 23:12
But in this specific case where the position of the drone remains physically the same, and the GNSS receiver suddenly displays a gap of several kilometers, is the drone protected against a hypothetical uncontrolled RTH?  

Does it have the ability to detect a sudden change in coordinates and automatically enter ATTI?

Switching to ATTI will not save you if there is a substitution of coordinates on the NFZ, the drone will still begin landing. In ATTI mode, the drone does not use GPS to maintain position, but still continues to receive a GPS signal and if it detects an NFZ, it will begin landing even in ATTI mode
3-10 00:51
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thank you for your response, LV_Forestry. We may need to clarify this to our respective team to ensure that we provide you with more accurate information. I will surely keep you posted once we receive a response. We appreciate your patience.
3-11 00:51
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No it doesn't
3-11 05:57
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for patiently waiting. The issue posted is not a clear issue, there is no way that the aircraft has 500KM aside from the home point, and this cannot be applied in reality. If the GPS is good, it will refresh the current position as a home point, so this will never happen. About the ATTI, if there is no GPS and also vision system is unavailable, the aircraft will enter ATTI mode automatically. Hope this helps.
3-14 01:54
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-14 01:54
Hi there. Thank you for patiently waiting. The issue posted is not a clear issue, there is no way that the aircraft has 500KM aside from the home point, and this cannot be applied in reality. If the GPS is good, it will refresh the current position as a home point, so this will never happen. About the ATTI, if there is no GPS and also vision system is unavailable, the aircraft will enter ATTI mode automatically. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
It would be interesting to see the OP flight log.
3-14 02:32
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-14 01:54

The issue posted is not a clear issue, there is no way that the aircraft has 500KM aside from the home point, and this cannot be applied in reality. If the GPS is good, it will refresh the current position as a home point, so this will never happen.
This is a ridiculous answer: "It can't be because it can't be."
Everyone understands that the drone did not move 500 km, why explain this? The point is that the drone came under the influence of a spoofer - an external transmitter that broadcasts one coordinate of a point that is located 500 km away.
We are interested in how the drone will behave, not the answer - this cannot be.
3-14 12:23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-14 02:32
Thank you,
It would be interesting to see the OP flight log.

You are most welcome, LV_Forestry. We also appreciate your valued support to our community. Have a nice day ahead!
3-14 19:31
Use props
_dji_user_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1687385 ft
Estonia

Serg SSA Posted at 3-14 12:23
The issue posted is not a clear issue, there is no way that the aircraft has 500KM aside from the home point, and this cannot be applied in reality. If the GPS is good, it will refresh the current position as a home point, so this will never happen.
This is a ridiculous answer: "It can't be because it can't be."
Everyone understands that the drone did not move 500 km, why explain this? The point is that the drone came under the influence of a spoofer - an external transmitter that broadcasts one coordinate of a point that is located 500 km away.

Does the drone have any anti-spoof protection?

For example sometnig like this or:.. If the coordinates change too quickly or abnormally, it switches to manual control or ATTI mode.
3-16 12:48
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

_dji_user_ Posted at 3-16 12:48

For example sometnig like this or:.. If the coordinates change too quickly or abnormally, it switches to manual control or ATTI mode.

No, it doesn't.
3-16 16:41
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

_dji_user_ Posted at 3-16 12:48

This is exactly the answer to this question that I would like to receive an answer from DJI. I also believe that if the drone detects an unrealistic situation then it should switch to ATTI mode.
3-16 21:31
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-14 19:31
You are most welcome, LV_Forestry. We also appreciate your valued support to our community. Have a nice day ahead!

We have not received an answer from DJI on how the drone will behave if it receives a falsified GPS coordinate
I ask administrators to ask DJI engineers a question
1. If the drone receives an unreal coordinate (falsified by external interference), for example about a change of location by 500 km, how will the drone behave? Will it switch to ATTI mode?
2. If the drone detects that it is moving in space, but the GPS coordinates do not change (external interference), will the drone switch to ATTI mode?
3. If the drone receives an unreal coordinate (falsified by external interference), for example, about a change of location by 500 km and this coordinate is NFZ, will the drone begin landing or will it detect GPS falsification and switch to ATTI mode?
3-21 05:20
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Serg SSA Posted at 3-21 05:20
We have not received an answer from DJI on how the drone will behave if it receives a falsified GPS coordinate
I ask administrators to ask DJI engineers a question
1. If the drone receives an unreal coordinate (falsified by external interference), for example about a change of location by 500 km, how will the drone behave? Will it switch to ATTI mode?

The fact is that the drone does not receive any coordinates, but a set of data including times and trajectories.

In addition, DJI drones are equipped with a multi-constellation receiver, which makes “Spoofing” almost impossible. There is an infinitely greater chance of faulting the receiver by increasing the SNR (Signal to noise Ratio), rather than succeeding in making it calculate a false position.

Therefore the mod's response is very clear and makes sense, the drone will enter ATTI mode in case of too high interference (SNR).

We hear about this spoofing all the time. Personally I have never seen a flight log that demonstrates this is true.

“Spoofing” is widely misunderstood with the method of the same name which consists of indicating false coordinates to an application on a smartphone for example. Which is absolutely not the case with a drone.

3-21 06:02
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-21 06:02
The fact is that the drone does not receive any coordinates, but a set of data including times and trajectories.

In addition, DJI drones are equipped with a multi-constellation receiver, which makes “Spoofing” almost impossible. There is an infinitely greater chance of faulting the receiver by increasing the SNR (Signal to noise Ratio), rather than succeeding in making it calculate a false position.

We hear about this spoofing all the time. Personally I have never seen a flight log that demonstrates this is true.
I haven’t seen the log files, but I have seen a demonstration of spoofing with the inclusion of the NFZ zone... The drones were forced to land.I think it worked as a perfect device.
Yes, I understand that the drone does not receive coordinates but calculates them based on the data received. I simplified the description, because... this does not change the meaning, the transmitter gives the drone false data, on the basis of which it identifies itself as in the NFZ zone. I can show you the video if you write in a personal message)
3-21 06:51
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Serg SSA Posted at 3-21 06:51
I haven’t seen the log files, but I have seen a demonstration of spoofing with the inclusion of the NFZ zone... The drones were forced to land.I think it worked as a perfect device.
Yes, I understand that the drone does not receive coordinates but calculates them based on the data received. I simplified the description, because... this does not change the meaning, the transmitter gives the drone false data, on the basis of which it identifies itself as in the NFZ zone. I can show you the video if you write in a personal message)

Switching to Atti Mode in that scenario, might not be the solution you would want.
There are two ways to have your drone in Atti Mode.
One is to fly in an environment where there is no GPS reception and not have VPS.

But if you have a drone that can switch to Atti Mode when GPS is available, it doesn't turn off GPS reception.

The drone continues to have GPS location data, but doesn't use GPS for horizontal position holding.
It would still use GPS to facilitate RTH and still have location data, even if it was false.
3-21 15:47
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Labroides Posted at 3-21 15:47
Switching to Atti Mode in that scenario, might not be the solution you would want.
There are two ways to have your drone in Atti Mode.
One is to fly in an environment where there is no GPS reception and not have VPS.

Yes, that's right, I tested this in practice a long time ago)
But there is one point: if the drone receives falsified data, by which it determines one coordinate and it does not change, while the drone moves, then the drone determines the compass error and its flight is unpredictable.
The drone can't return home.
It is necessary to forcefully switch to ATTI so as not to try to hold a position using GPS
3-21 22:25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules