Data transfer using Android devices to external storage
482 10 3-9 21:57
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tekari
lvl.1

Finland

Hi there

A new action camera user here, and looking for some quick tips related to data transfer. I tried searching the subject but couldn't see exactly a similar case.

We are planning for a 2-3 week summer trip in different countries with Osmo Action 4. I believe we will be producing some 2-4 terabytes of 4K video footage during the trip. The initial plan is equipping the OA4 with 3-4 256GB microSD cards for temporary storage and rotation, but also we need some way to export the data from the memory cards to external storage on the go, to clear room for new footage. The external storage will hold the whole footage until we get home.

We won't be having access to a PC/laptop during the trip, BUT we will have access to Android phone (Samsung S22) and Android tablet (Lenovo M10), and also external USB peripherals such as USB type A flash drives and USB type C SSD drives with more than enough capacity to store the trip's whole footage. The Android devices have limited local storage capacity (only around 30-60 gigabytes), so they can't serve as the storage solution, and they don't have micro SD slots. They have USB type C connectors.

So my question is, how would you implement the transfer method from the SD cards to the external USB drives using just the phones and tablets? For example should we look for a compatible USB-C/microSD hub to connect the memory cards and external peripherals simultaneously as OTG storage, and transfer the data that way? Any product recommendations for that? Or some other way we haven't thought of?

3-9 21:57
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I had the same intentions a few weeks ago and I faced the same thoughts / problems as you for my trip to Thailand.

I tried around with this one:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can connect it to any android device (i used it with my Sony Xperia 10 III), so I'm sure that it works with your samsung as well as with your tablet, BUT I tried to connect a SSD Drive there and my Sony didn't recognize the SSD (I'm afraid the current / voltage of a mobile-phone is just too weak for it)

So I ended up, buying a cheap Surface Pro 2 for backing up my data (which was a pure nightmare because of constant transfer-interruptions... Lesson learned)

I would buy the adapter and just try out, how stable it works on your Android Tablet, I think, it will work well.
3-9 22:15
Use props
tekari
lvl.1

Finland

Thanks for the reply.

Yea I think some SSD's will need the extra juice to get enough power, so a power bank or a wall socket is most likely required for them to work correctly. Should not be an issue if staying in a motel/hotel etc.
3-9 22:42
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

There are memory card backup devices. They have a small screen and a few terabytes of SSD storage. Insert your memory card. Preview the footage on the built-in screen and xfer the photo/video you want to the internal drive. No computer needed. They are very expensive however, so it might be cheaper to just buy a handful of 256GB cards.

Here's an article. Scroll down to "Alternative and Final Tips" section:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/exp ... travel-photographer

Here's a review of one of the backup devices:
https://havecamerawilltravel.com ... ckup-device-review/

And here's a few to choose from.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/b ... i/3369/N/4000227848

You can search for more as needed.
3-10 02:24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, tekari. Thank you for reaching out. We recommend using a USB-C microSD card hub like the one below that you can connect to mobile phones/tablets. Just connect the microSD card from Action 4 to the hub and the empty one then connect it to your phone, open the file manager on your phone, and transfer the files. Additionally, please use the Recommended microSD Cards for Action 4 to avoid file corruption.

We also suggest trying the steps above before your vacation to confirm that it will work on our end. Hope this helps.
3-10 23:11
Use props
tekari
lvl.1

Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-10 23:11
Hi, tekari. Thank you for reaching out. We recommend using a USB-C microSD card hub like the one below that you can connect to mobile phones/tablets. Just connect the microSD card from Action 4 to the hub and the empty one then connect it to your phone, open the file manager on your phone, and transfer the files. Additionally, please use the Recommended microSD Cards for Action 4 to avoid file corruption.
[view_image]
[view_image]

Thanks, this is what I had in mind. I will look for suitable product for this.

About the recommended microSD cards, I was thinking more of a less expensive solution, such as Samsung EVO Plus SDXC cards:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Samsung-Memory-System-Cameras-MB-SC256K/dp/B09D3NPC8Q

Using other cards than recommended might be a risk, but I think the price difference between the basic cards and recommended cards is just too big. I will give it a go with cheaper cards first and see how it turns out.

3-11 04:59
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tekari Posted at 3-11 04:59

About the recommended microSD cards, I was thinking more of a less expensive solution, such as Samsung EVO Plus SDXC cards:

Dont waste ya money, get the Sandisk Extreme Pro 256gb works very well and transfers fast enough to my lappy
Also, sommat like this should do what you want, you will need a USB card reader as well but its much cheaper than the backup devices
You should probably get a USB C adapter too so you can connect to your phone or tablet just to check it does the backups ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SSK-Por ... ckup/dp/B0814WPH5M/

• High speed and large capacity: 2TB storage capacity(HDD), Up to 300Mbps high speed wireless transmission, without geographical restrictions,remote access and manage the storage freely at anywhere by PC/Mobile phone, Point to Point(P2P) confidential transmission to ensure data security.
  • Portable: Small size can be carried at any time, Built-in 3800Mah lithium-polymer battery, also can be used as power bank, charge your phones and other USB devices;
  • Smart Control: Smart App(IOS & Android supported), smart upload/download, one Click backup, remote access easier. Supports multi-people sharing at the same time; Supports Samba and DLNA Protocol, all smart devices interconnection in the LAN, smart TVs, laptops and mobile phones can share SSKCloud data freely; Divide hard drive to Private Area and Public Area to better retain private information and improve security; One Click backup On Mobile Phones, Tablets and PCs
  • Centralize all your data: Support IOS, Android, Windows, MAC, all have proprietary client software. Centralize all photos, videos, music and files in one safe place and easily access.. With USB Host Port , supports all kinds of USB storage devices, such as USB Disk, Card reader etc. and managed by SSKCloud App/Software
  • Function expansion: Supports USB 3.0 high speed transmission.Supports wireless relay and bridging function; ➤ SSKCloud App Download Website:http://eng.ssk.cn/
3-11 07:41
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

tekari Posted at 3-11 04:59

You're welcome, tekari. We highly suggest the recommended ones but it's really up to you still. Just make sure to try it first before your vacation to see if it will work. Safe travels!
3-12 04:28
Use props
Reiner.
lvl.4
Germany

I tried with a powered USB hub (UGreen), a USB 3 card reader (UGreen) and a USB SSD, an Iphone, SE, an older Google Pixel and a very old LG Android. It worked for the IPhone and the LG, but not for the Pixel. It is a little bit of trial and error. Main problem was the transfer speed of roundabout 1 MB/s.

My solution is a Raspberry Pi 5 and less than 100 lines of Python code and a breadboard soldered with 4 LEDs for status indication (yellow program started, blue source connected, red target connected and copy started, green completed). Transfer speed is 80 MB/s, which is what the MicroSD card can deliver. It's a small package, see picture.

A more advanced solution based on the Pi 5 is the Little Backup Box which can be operated via the Smartphone.

If you consider one of osmonauta‘s suggestions, please check whether they can synchronize only newer files or always do a full copy (which will waste a lot of space on the SSD).   
And when selecting an USB hub I would look for a hub with a Power/Data PD port so your smartphone is charged during the copy process.

mybackupbox.jpg
3-12 08:21
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Reiner. Posted at 3-12 08:21
I tried with a powered USB hub (UGreen), a USB 3 card reader (UGreen) and a USB SSD, an Iphone, SE, an older Google Pixel and a very old LG Android. It worked for the IPhone and the LG, but not for the Pixel. It is a little bit of trial and error. Main problem was the transfer speed of roundabout 1 MB/s.  My solution is a Raspberry Pi 5 and less than 100 lines of Python code and a breadboard soldered with 4 LEDs for status indication (yellow program started, blue source connected, red target connected and copy started, green completed). Transfer speed is 80 MB/s, which is what the MicroSD card can deliver. It's a small package, see picture.
  A more advanced solution based on the Pi 5 is the Little Backup Box which can be operated via the Smartphone.   If you consider one of osmonauta‘s suggestions, please check whether they can synchronize only newer files or always do a full copy (which will waste a lot of space on the SSD).   And when selecting an USB hub I would look for a hub with a Power/Data PD port so your smartphone is charged during the copy process.

This is perfect.
Will try to build this as well, I got crazy with my crappy Surface Pro 2, it was pure nightmare (Plus 1kg extra weight)
3-13 21:31
Use props
tekari
lvl.1

Finland

After looking at the options, I think I will be getting a few pieces of Kingston Canvas Go Plus 256GB cards for rotation, as they are on sale at Amazon at the moment.

Also I think I will eventually end up taking a laptop along with a few external 2TB USB SSD drives, and leaving the phone-only option as a backup plan. Our car will be fully loaded anyway during the trip, so an extra laptop won't be an issue

Thank you all for the comments.
3-29 05:11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules