OA4 as a car camera
210 11 3-18 09:48
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arki
lvl.2
Poland

Sometimes I use OA4 as a car camera because it has loop recording and can record without batteries, only via a USB cable. The camera turns on as soon as it receives power from the USB but does not start recording. Recording must be turned on manually or by voice. I would like to see a feature to automatically start recording when the power is turned on in the future. DJI, add such a function.
3-18 09:48
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Problem is, some people use the camera to record LONG timelapses, such as night sky, or maybe an entire day, etc. For that, they use a powerbank because the battery's capacity is limited. So you take out the battery, connect the powerbank, the camera turns on and immediately starts recording. Hope you see that in this context it doesn't make any sense for the camera to start recording.

Also, where is the camera in your car? Is it somewhere that is not accessible, eg, on the hood, outside, or in the trunk? If it's close to you, is it really that difficult to press the RECORD button? If it's on the back windshield, you can use the Mimo app to initiate the recording.

Or, if it's really for car use, get a dashcam that is meant to be used for that specific purpose. I don't think the Action 3/4 is marketed as a dashcam. Although it could be used as such in a limited capacity.

3-18 14:04
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

We appreciate your suggestion. I will forward this to the relevant team to evaluate. For any news and updates, visit the DJI official website. Thank you for your valued support.
3-18 20:18
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 645144 ft
  • >>>
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 3-18 14:04
Problem is, some people use the camera to record LONG timelapses, such as night sky, or maybe an entire day, etc. For that, they use a powerbank because the battery's capacity is limited. So you take out the battery, connect the powerbank, the camera turns on and immediately starts recording. Hope you see that in this context it doesn't make any sense for the camera to start recording.

Also, where is the camera in your car? Is it somewhere that is not accessible, eg, on the hood, outside, or in the trunk? If it's close to you, is it really that difficult to press the RECORD button? If it's on the back windshield, you can use the Mimo app to initiate the recording.

I use it as a dashcam in a car pretty often as well, and I don't get the timelapse/powerbank argument. Just turn it off again? Or disable the feature in the settings? I don't even understand the problem here: if you plug it in the Powerbank for a timelapse, why do you want the camera to stay off?

The Ace Pro has this exact feature implemented.
3-18 23:56
Use props
Arki
lvl.2
Poland

osmonauta Posted at 3-18 14:04
Problem is, some people use the camera to record LONG timelapses, such as night sky, or maybe an entire day, etc. For that, they use a powerbank because the battery's capacity is limited. So you take out the battery, connect the powerbank, the camera turns on and immediately starts recording. Hope you see that in this context it doesn't make any sense for the camera to start recording.

Also, where is the camera in your car? Is it somewhere that is not accessible, eg, on the hood, outside, or in the trunk? If it's close to you, is it really that difficult to press the RECORD button? If it's on the back windshield, you can use the Mimo app to initiate the recording.

I would like an option in the settings that would allow automatic recording. Everyone will be able to decide whether to enable it or not. I install the camera on the passenger side because I don't like it when something blocks my view out the window. Every time I get in the car, I have to remember to turn on the recording. When I'm going on a long journey, it's not a problem, but when I get on and off often, it becomes a nuisance and I often forget about it.
3-19 00:35
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nerdworld Posted at 3-18 23:56
I use it as a dashcam in a car pretty often as well, and I don't get the timelapse/powerbank argument. Just turn it off again? Or disable the feature in the settings? I don't even understand the problem here: if you plug it in the Powerbank for a timelapse, why do you want the camera to stay off?

It could be an option in dashcam/loop settings - start on power up or not.
3-19 02:40
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can see where this option would be useful, something to note though, is that we've been asking for an auto record on take-off with our drones for years now and still, nothing so I'm just saying not to get your hopes up...
3-19 07:13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Nerdworld Posted at 3-18 23:56

The "argument" was not to have the camera stay OFF. He said he wanted the camera to start RECORDING as soon as you feed it USB power.

Why would anyone need that? What if I want to take pictures? What if I want to hook up the camera to Mimo first? Scratch all that because as soon as you feed it USB power it starts recording? Doesn't make any sense to me.

3-19 09:10
Use props
Arki
lvl.2
Poland

osmonauta Posted at 3-19 09:10
The "argument" was not to have the camera stay OFF. He said he wanted the camera to start RECORDING as soon as you feed it USB power.

Why would anyone need that? What if I want to take pictures? What if I want to hook up the camera to Mimo first? Scratch all that because as soon as you feed it USB power it starts recording? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't want the camera to start recording by default after connecting the power supply. I want it to be possible to enable this option in the settings. Thanks to this, it will be a fully functional car camera. Just enough.
3-19 10:15
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Ah, ok. Sorry, my bad. You said "feature" not "option" in the OP so I thought as soon as the camera receives power it will start recording.
3-19 10:22
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 645144 ft
  • >>>
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 3-19 10:22
Ah, ok. Sorry, my bad. You said "feature" not "option" in the OP so I thought as soon as the camera receives power it will start recording.

Just take a look at the Insta360 Ace Pro, which has this exact feature.

If you enable it you can easily use it as a car dashcam, for example when you have USB ports that power on when you start the cars ignition.

And of course you need to enable it in the settings.
3-24 09:51
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

I understand that you are all asking about implementing the GP-labs feature here on the Action4.   I believe what DJI is hinting at is that the Action4 and the Pocket 3 are marketed as two different use cases so they may be reluctant to implementing it.   We might be better off petitioning directly to the development team (although we don't have direct access to them).
3-24 10:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules