Videos dont play properly - choppy
241 18 3-19 08:03
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nicci
lvl.1

Vietnam

The videos dont play properly in my macbook. I am using quick time, files are 1080p. Macbook Pro early 2015
see attached clip

The video plays the footage stop start , it plays for a second then freezes then plays for a second then freezes. It jumps rather than plays. extremely useless !!!!

3-19 08:03
Use props
Nicci
lvl.1

Vietnam

here is screen recording https://imgur.com/a/wzaYuLz  
3-19 08:11
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Can you upload the original video? (dropbox, gdrive, etc). I have the same laptop and don't have issues like that. My guess is you may had a background process of some sort running which interfered with the player.
3-19 10:18
Use props
Nicci
lvl.1

Vietnam

Nicci Posted at 3-19 08:11
here is screen recording https://imgur.com/a/wzaYuLz

https://imgur.com/a/wzaYuLz  

that is a screenshot of how it plays
3-19 17:19
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Can you upload the original video? (dropbox, gdrive, etc). I have the same laptop and don't have issues like that. My guess is you may had a background process of some sort running which interfered with the player.
3-19 18:28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicci Posted at 3-19 17:19
https://imgur.com/a/wzaYuLz  

that is a screenshot of how it plays

Please upload the original straight from the sd card, not screenshots, because at a guess it looks like your device that youre trying to playback on is not fast enough to play 4k and or h.265 (hvec) files.

If that is the case, then uploading to YouTube and then playing back at 1080 will work just fine or use editing software that can encode proxy files (search youtube for "video editing with proxies") and use those to do your editing the movie and then when youre finished and ready to export, the software will automatically apply the changes to the 4k file, you will then need to upload to the likes of YouTube and then play it back at 1080.

The only downside to using proxies is that it takes a fair bit longer because it has to create the proxy files 1st but it also means you can edit 4k/120 100bit h.265 files (thats the highest quality) on the oldest of machines, I myself have to use proxies to edit 4k but i can playback 4k, my machine just isn't fast enough to edit 4k.
3-19 18:30
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Bashy Posted at 3-19 18:30
Please upload the original straight from the sd card, not screenshots, because at a guess it looks like your device that youre trying to playback on is not fast enough to play 4k and or h.265 (hvec) files.

If that is the case, then uploading to YouTube and then playing back at 1080 will work just fine or use editing software that can encode proxy files (search youtube for "video editing with proxies") and use those to do your editing the movie and then when youre finished and ready to export, the software will automatically apply the changes to the 4k file, you will then need to upload to the likes of YouTube and then play it back at 1080.

He said the files are 1080 not 4k. They should play like a breeze.
3-19 18:49
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 3-19 18:49
He said the files are 1080 not 4k. They should play like a breeze.

Ah, my bad, i missed that, to be fair, i did skim it and went straight to the video lol, damn, would have saved all that typing lol

1080 should deffo play without any issues, what about hvec could this still be an issue?
3-19 18:54
Use props
Nicci
lvl.1

Australia

looks like they were recorded in 4k - i did change that to 1080p but it looks like at some point i hit the wrong button and it went to 4k profile
3-19 19:43
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

The reason I asked him to upload the original because I have the same laptop (2015 MacBook Pro). 1080p let it be 265 or 264 plays with no issues what so ever. Even 2.7k with h265 plays good, but sometimes it starts choking. I think it may have to do with the bitrate. But 1080 is always fine even with h265 (which is my preferred way of recording).

Sometimes the playback gets jumpy, like the one he screenshoted, but that only happens when something heavy is happening in the background. Eg if you are doing some re-encoding with Handbrake in the back AND you play a 1080p h265, then playback could choke up like that on occasion.
3-19 19:47
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

try VLC player for ios
3-19 22:17
Use props
Nicci
lvl.1

Vietnam

Thanks Everyone - my macbook coudlnt handle 4k. I didnt realise I recorded in 4k. I exported it as 1080p (took 2 hours) but its working now. Lesson learnt!
3-20 03:57
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicci Posted at 3-19 19:43
looks like they were recorded in 4k - i did change that to 1080p but it looks like at some point i hit the wrong button and it went to 4k profile

Ah, i was wrong but right then, like I said, you can record in 4k and use proxies when editing, thats if your software allows this, it works very well
3-20 04:18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 3-19 19:47
The reason I asked him to upload the original because I have the same laptop (2015 MacBook Pro). 1080p let it be 265 or 264 plays with no issues what so ever. Even 2.7k with h265 plays good, but sometimes it starts choking. I think it may have to do with the bitrate. But 1080 is always fine even with h265 (which is my preferred way of recording).

Sometimes the playback gets jumpy, like the one he screenshoted, but that only happens when something heavy is happening in the background. Eg if you are doing some re-encoding with Handbrake in the back AND you play a 1080p h265, then playback could choke up like that on occasion.

Well at least we know now, it was actually 4k
3-20 04:19
Use props
Nicci
lvl.1

Vietnam

Nicci Posted at 3-20 03:57
Thanks Everyone - my macbook coudlnt handle 4k. I didnt realise I recorded in 4k. I exported it as 1080p (took 2 hours) but its working now. Lesson learnt!

i use imovie im trying to move to premier pro,,, what do you mean by proxies? how does that work?
3-20 04:31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

on the program look under  prefrences and see if there are things called Shadow file, proxies,   the program will create a lower resolution file to easily work on.  youube search your question

3-20 04:35
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You might try the 2.7K option the files are easier to edit and take up less space.
You can export for youtube at 1440p
3-20 06:52
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Nicci Posted at 3-20 03:57

Hi, Nicci. Glad that you have figured out the issue. Thanks for the help of our Captains here. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach us again here at DJI Forum.
3-20 23:10
Use props
Nicci
lvl.1

Australia

4wd Posted at 3-20 06:52
You might try the 2.7K option the files are easier to edit and take up less space.
You can export for youtube at 1440p

thanks for the advice. I will try it out, but 4 k is just not an option at all at the momet
3-23 00:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules