Action 4 Audio
514 11 3-22 10:22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When adjusting audio in manual mode on the Action 4, are others  getting pretty low levels using the Osmo adapter? I'm finding that the gain needs raising significantly on the input for it to read 'normal' levels on my editor.

In fact, I'm now adjusting it to peak right up in the orange area on the Action meter and it looks better in post.

The other thing is that I'm also wondering whether the input on the camera has a limiter because I can hit red on it and on my editor, it shows no clipping.

If there is a limiter, it's tempting to drive a high signal in so you get a crude form of compression in camera, which for some reason, seems to sound ok for most running around stuff!

Setting it under the Orange section on camera leaves me with audio way below -12dB.
3-22 10:22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

If I remember right,  @Andreas Dück did confirm that OA4 have a limiter.
3-24 05:21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect that there is. I’m recording with the bar going right to the top and it’s fine. In fact, very healthy, with its own form of compression to the average volume can be pretty loud.
3-24 06:09
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 3-24 05:21
If I remember right,  @Andreas Dück did confirm that OA4 have a limiter.

Yes, the Osmo Action 4 has a limiter, but I haven't yet checked whether it is also a soft limiter like the MIC 2 transmitters.
3-24 07:29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Andreas Dueck Posted at 3-24 07:29
Yes, the Osmo Action 4 has a limiter, but I haven't yet checked whether it is also a soft limiter like the MIC 2 transmitters.

Then I did remember right.
Will think it is soft limiter, else it will be more advanced to implent?
3-24 14:49
Use props
jcody_parker
lvl.2

United States

This is one of the things I hate about the Action 4. Everything else about the camera is amazing, but I was expecting to be able to use my external mic and not be limited. When boosting the gain or normalizing it post, it makes the quality worse. I brought up this issue on release and they never gave any option to fix it. Basically just got told to use an external audio recorder, which I really don't want to do. The reason I bought an action 4 was to have something I could point and shoot with and not have any extra steps like this.

The audio levels using the same mic are perfect on my phone, and terribly low with the Action 4 even with the gain boosted a lot. I'm constantly having to raise and lower the gain too, where on my phone it automatically does that and makes like 100x easier. At least now I know I'm not the only one that hopes for a fix

Untitled.png
3-24 17:16
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for confirming Andreas. My audio was hitting the top and I post, I noticed that there was no clipping, fully expecting to have to replace it!

Jcody_parker, is that Action audio with the gain raised?  Mine is going to the top and I thought that it was going to clip really badly, but the limiter stopped it clipping. I had the gain around +15dB on the camera just to see what happened. At zero dB  my audio is way too low but the camera gain brings it up to much healthier levels.

I think when setting the gain, the camera bar needs to peak right up in the yellow zone in order to be more 'healthy'. Normally, on a recorder, you'd avoid doing this for fear of peaking!

3-24 23:03
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Ulanzi AM18
camera gain +6 db
transmitter +1
Hollyland trx lav mic
noice cancelling

IMG_20240325_095627.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-25-09-53-34-643_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
3-25 01:00
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

lutzmix Posted at 3-25 01:00
Ulanzi AM18
camera gain +6 db
transmitter +1
[Image]

Something is wrong, the sample rate should be 48000.  
3-25 06:51
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Andreas Dueck Posted at 3-25 06:51
Something is wrong, the sample rate should be 48000.

original file
Screenshot_2024-03-25-16-09-32-739_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
3-25 07:11
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Thanks
3-25 13:05
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Osmo action 4
with Ulanzi AM 18

1080/50fps
camera gain +6db
right mic +1db lav mic

Since the receiver clip is so thin you have to put a piece of paper or something similar in the cold shoe otherwise the receiver can slip out!
IMG_20240326_093831.jpg
3-26 03:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules