Phantom 2 cannot hold a steady HOVER
7223 24 2014-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

My Phantom 2 v2.0 cannot hold a steady hover. I let it fly up to 15 feet and it slowly descends on its own until I compensate buy throttling up. Has anyone had this experience? Any tips on how to solve this issue?

All pre flight checks done. All FW latest. Batts are full. Thanks
2014-12-11
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Have you calibrated the IMU recently?  Calibrate the controller; it could be that center stick is a little bit low.  When I see issues I always do a calibration of everything and 99.9% it cures it.  When you do fly be sure to wait for the second set of fast flashing green LEDS (not the slow, steady blinking but a fast flash, many, many times).  The 1st fast flash is GPS lock, the second is home lock but I don't expect that to be your issue, my bet is on the RC calibration (1st) and IMU (2nd).

2014-12-11
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

I did the IMU calibration before launching it into the air. I was testing for the horizon tilt of my H33D so I had my laptop beside me. Do you have more info on the green flashing lights after lift off? (or better yet a video demonstrating it)
2014-12-11
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need to see several sets of flashing greens. But none of them should have much to do with it's ability to hover, from what I understand.
Are you in Phantom Mode, or Naza-M Mode?

When you bring it up and let go of the sticks, are you seeing a single green blink, or a fast double green blink?
A double free, can mean your sticks are not at center, and like kenargo said, this could be because your tx is not properly calibrated. You mentioned doing the IMU cali, but you didn't confirm you did a tx cali. did you also do the dance before the flight?

I am interested to hear once you get this worked out, what was causing it.
2014-12-11
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

I'm in Phantom Mode. Single Green blinks. I get the fast blinks before I take off, and when its solid (indicating home lock), I take off. I calibrated my Tx its all at 0 in the middle. Is there a different method of calibrating the Tx? Thanks
2014-12-11
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Calibrate the controller using RC Assist (1st) and then Vision Assist (2nd).

You should see 2 fast flashing lights; the 1st takes the longest and is GPS lock, the second time usually comes within a 5-10 seconds of the 1st time and indicated home lock.  There is no LED indication of home lock, only the count of GPS satellites and technically, only 6 and greater (you can use a connected WIFI device to see how many you really have).
2014-12-11
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

rzxrey@gmail.co Posted at 2014-12-12 12:23
I did the IMU calibration before launching it into the air. I was testing for the horizon tilt of my ...

hi, rzxrey, the green flashing light means the GPS signal is good for fly.
do you have the same problem after calibration?
2014-12-11
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

is it stable when take off?
2014-12-11
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

It takes off straight up like an elevator, but when I stop to make it hover, it slowly descends down until it lands (I am not touching the controller at all).
2014-12-11
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

rzxrey@gmail.co Posted at 2014-12-12 14:30
It takes off straight up like an elevator, but when I stop to make it hover, it slowly descends down ...

hi, dude
so the copter descends down slowly and automaticlly?
2014-12-11
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

Yes. With 100% Battery on Phantom and Tx. After doing all calibrations. It will stay maybe 2-3 seconds in the air and then start descending all on its own. It cannot hover and stay put in one place.
2014-12-11
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Your only problem is a slight descent during hover?  Open the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant, go to the Gain tab under Basic and increase the vertical gain (try a 10% increase at a time)
VisionAssistant-gain.gif
2014-12-11
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

I will try out all suggested tips and will report back later
2014-12-12
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

After all calibrations. the Phantom 2 still descends slowly. I have my vertical Gain at 175% already. How about you guys? Does your Phantom stay in a Hover and never descend slowly? I'm flying in clear conditions (3°C). I'm out of options here.
2014-12-12
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

DJI? Any suggestions?
2014-12-13
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

DJI? {:2_40:}
2014-12-14
Use props
Dboy
lvl.3

China

The condition may caused by barometer problem which is located in flight control unit.
Contacting your dealer may help
2014-12-15
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

I thought they already fixed that by installing a Naza V2 on the Phantom? I kinda want contacting the dealer my last resort if I don't find any other solution.
2014-12-15
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

"I'm flying in clear conditions (3°C). I'm out of options here."

As a thought...  Try keeping your batteries warm before placing them in your aircraft for flight.   LiPo's don't like cold temps, and suffer performance loss near and below freezing temperatures.  Once flying, they will self warm themselves.

Jamie
2014-12-15
Use props
rzxrey
lvl.2

Canada

I tried that and it still hasn't solved the issue. I think I might have a defective Phantom 2.
2014-12-17
Use props
wyliejohn8
lvl.1
United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-12 15:56
Your only problem is a slight descent during hover?  Open the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant, go to the  ...

Speaking of the GAIN window: I've seen 120% across the top portion, and 200% across the bottom portion when I first got mine. If I reset to Defaults (Bottom right corner) I get varied percentages across the top (120-140%), and 240% across the bottom. I've also read on these vast and unending forums to not even mess with the Gain numbers at all. And 3-degrees centigrade is quite cold, but then you would get a dead/dying battery not just a slow decent...
2014-12-19
Use props
rwskinner
lvl.1

United States

When sitting on the ground, what does the altitude read on your display?  Mine does the same thing and it's because my height/altitude slowly keeps climbing so the PVP slowly comes down.  If I let it all warm up real good so altitude stabilizes, then turn the power off then back on the bird will maintain altitude fine.  I suppose I have a faulty barometer.
2014-12-21
Use props
panling.liu
lvl.2

Singapore

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-12 15:56
Your only problem is a slight descent during hover?  Open the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant, go to the  ...

Hi, There are quite a few version of Phantom 2 Vision Assistant .

Which one are you referring to ?
2015-6-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

You are joining this conversation 6 months late, so I would not hold your breath for an answer.
I guess the OP sorted it or took up stamp collecting as a hobby instead.
2015-6-3
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

When you did the IMU calibration did you verify the plane being exactly level front to back and side to side using a level. IF not you need to shim the feet to get it completely level to do the IMU. This would really have more to do with hover and staying in one spot and not drifting. The dropping action may be more with the sticks and RC. If that doesn't correct it your issue is with hardware (barometer) sensor.
2015-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules