China

Obsolete post.
2015-9-13
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

I am very sorry to hear this.

I do no see  your flight records attached.  You can also upload them to HealthyDrones.com.  Did you look for it at the spot where it lost connection?  If for some reason it was set to Hover it could have landed there after it reached low battery.  Also, did you walk a straight line from the last seen location to your rooftop?   If it was coming back and hit something or it reached low battery before making it home it would be somewhere along that line.  Do you remember the return to home altitude you had set or was it still the default 30 meters?  If the terrain between you and the last spot seen is not level then it is possible the RTH altitude might not have been enough to clear the trees plus the height of a hill.  Remember it will fly a straight line back to the home point which is not necessarily the path you were flying.
2015-9-13
Use props
andreas.anderss
lvl.2

China

Thanks for your feedback! I’m trying to attach the logs again in this post.
I should explain a bit more: I was standing on a very tall building, around 150 meters high. There are no obstacles what so ever in the direction I flew, just a clear blue sky. The camera was pointing straight in the line of the fly path and I can see on the video (that is still in my phone) that there was no object close by when the video feed stopped. Unfortunately I was looking at my phone, not the aircraft, when the feed stopped and when I raised my head to look for it I could not see it anymore. There was around 80% battery left, and the distance to the home point was less than 400 meters. (The home point was saved with the aircraft standing still on the rooftop. Yesterday I also lost the connection but then everything worked perfectly: it came back to me and once the signal was working again I changed to manual controls).

I guess it has fallen straight down from 150+ meters. I really hope it didn’t hit anyone...
Thanks for your time and input!
Andreas

DJIFlightRecord_2015-09-13_[16-11-19].txt-Details.csv.zip

57.33 KB, Down times: 31

2015-9-13
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

andreas.anderss Posted at 2015-9-13 08:12
Thanks for your feedback! I’m trying to attach the logs again in this post.
I should explain a bit ...

I was going to upload your file to HealthyDrones.com to see if I could see anything but it appears that you modified the file from its original state?  it was a TXT file and now it is a comma delimited file?   HealthyDornes would need it to be in its orginal state.  Do you have the original one?
2015-9-13
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Did you have your contact information on the aircraft?
Did it fall into an area that is busy where there could have been people walking below?
Can you post the video?

Did this flight take place in China?
Also, the Standard does not have lightbridge and so the range is considerably less.
2015-9-13
Use props
DreamingWatchma
lvl.2

Austria

At 390 m you were dangerously near the distance limit of a Phantom Standard.
I stayed within 50 m for days and within 100 m for weeks. And I have a Phantom Advanced with a reach of 2 km.

No need to break the distance record on your second day. There is plenty to learn in close proximity.

2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

China

DreamingWatchma Posted at 2015-9-14 01:36
At 390 m you were dangerously near the distance limit of a Phantom Standard.
I stayed within 50 m fo ...

Not at all, the specified range is 1000m and I was nowhere near that. Regardless, it should have come back by itself when the signal was lost.

2015-9-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Andreas A Posted at 2015-9-13 19:15
Not at all, the specified range is 1000m and I was nowhere near that. Regardless, it should have c ...

Taking off from a rooftop?
Hopefully you didn't do the compass calibration from a rooftop.....

Sorry to hear of your loss....the GPS, if you confirmed that it was working, should show where it went down. If you were flying over buildings, people, urban areas, etc. - well, as you probably know you shouldn't be flying over those areas. Wireless signals and many other things can mess up the whole system.

Other than that - if you are going to fly again.......please get a number of hours of practice in an open field  before you start flying far away. I flew for well over a year using toy quads before I bought my first Phantom. Every Phantom I buy gets checked a number of times in a safe flying area before I take it further away.

Another thing which is known to experienced pilots - Return to Home is for emergencies. Since most responsible pilots fly line of sight they have little need to rely on it. I've used it twice in 2 years of flying multiple Phantom models.

It's easy to get carried away because this technology is so advanced - but if you want to keep your bird you need to be very conservative about everything.

I assume you carefully checked your home point on your device (map) before you took off and verified it as fine?
Are you certain the battery had a good charge?

You don't have to answer - I am just laying out the various possibilities.
2015-9-13
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

At 390 meters you should not be dangerously close to the limit. I have had my Standard out to 1160 meters without loss of signal. Perhaps in an urban area that may be quite different.

That said, I am so tired of people taking these things out of the box and doing stupid and dangerous things with them with virtually no experience. Yes, they are amazing pieces of technology that practically fly themselves. Except they don't fly themselves and that is where the problem lies with inexperienced pilots. I am an inexperienced  pilot and it would be a long time before I would fly it from a rooftop where as the OP states it has the potential of hitting someone. In fact I don't think I would ever attempt it. This forum is peppered daily with stories of crashed drones by people owning them a week or less. Their stories contain clues that they did not spend even few minutes of glancing at the manual or other easily available online instructional videos and materials.

Also, I don't think RTH is only for emergencies. I often use it to 1.) make sure it actually works and 2.) to sometimes get back to my general vicinity.
2015-9-13
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

I'm sorry for your loss! Could you please let me know your DJI ID after synchronizing your flight records on your mobile device
2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-14 05:02
I'm sorry for your loss! Could you please let me know your DJI ID after synchronizing your flight re ...

Thanks Tim,

My ID is andreas.andersson@me.com and the flight data has been synchronised.

Maybe this is of interest too:
FlyControllerSerialNumber,"03Z0268462"
DroneType,2
PlaneName,"Andreas P3S"
CameraSerialNumber,"CG30021186"
RemoteSerialNumber,"05LD100JKD"

Thanks for looking onto this issue,
Andreas
2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

Sweden

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-9-14 02:57
Taking off from a rooftop?
Hopefully you didn't do the compass calibration from a rooftop.....

Thanks for taking time to reply. You and several others are implying that it is my inexperience that caused the drone to get lost. It’s true that I had only flown a couple of hours, but had the thing worked as promised it should have 1) not lost contact at less than half of the specified maximum distance, 2) come back to the home position when the signal was lost.

This is all according to both DJI’s advertisement and the user manual.
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Andreas A Posted at 2015-9-14 13:43
Thanks for taking time to reply. You and several others are implying that it is my inexperience th ...

whilst i am sorry for your loss, i need to remind you that the distance advertised is always the max distance and that can vary greatly from place to place, as an example: if i fly my pro from the front of my house i get about 3 miles distance, now if i fly from the back of my house i will be lucky if i get 1/3 mile!!

as far as rth: all i can say is i have and test rth every week under different conditions by turning off the RC and it has always come back home.
was your settings for rth correct, could u have by mistake canceled it
did u just let go of the sticks and let it fly back
was there enough battery for it to make it back
was it set to go home or hover in case of rc signal loss
etc etc

i am not saying that it was your fault, because there could be a lemon in anything we purchase nowdays, but i am just giving you some food for thought.
again i am very sorry for the loss
2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

Sweden

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-14 04:26
At 390 meters you should not be dangerously close to the limit. I have had my Standard out to 1160 m ...

Thanks for agreeing regarding the distance and RTH, I’m glad hear that I’m not the only one interpreting the specs this way.
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Andreas A Posted at 2015-9-14 14:02
Thanks for agreeing regarding the distance and RTH, I’m glad hear that I’m not the only one inte ...

btw, cant you even guess as to where it could be based on the last position your logs show you?
2015-9-13
Use props
DreamingWatchma
lvl.2

Austria

Andreas A Posted at 2015-9-14 01:15
Not at all, the specified range is 1000m and I was nowhere near that. Regardless, it should have c ...

I'm not sure about that!
The CE distance is 500 m, the FCC distance is 1000 m.

First you were in China, now you are in Sweden. It's not clear if CE or FCC applies to your Copter.
Sweden is definitely CE and thus 500 m.

I’ve seen a range test from a guy in Germany: The connection broke off at 400 m.

Maybe only your App lost connection but not your RC. (This happens all the time.) Did you verify the lost connection on the RC (green light turning red) or did only your App tell you that you have lost connection. (You can’t trust the App.)
2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

China

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 14:00
whilst i am sorry for your loss, i need to remind you that the distance advertised is always the m ...

Thank you. It’s interesting to know that the distance can vary so much. I think this is one of the reason DJI has implemented the RTH-functinon, because how would anyone be able to know the actual maximum distance and stop before it when it can change so much?

As for your other ideas I can see the whole flight in both the video and the Flight record. It clearly shows that the home position was set at first (and not changed later) and that the battery was almost full. Then suddenly the video and flight record stops, and the drone is gone.

Anyway I am now getting professional help from the DJI support team (I’m impressed, they replied very quickly!). When we know the reason (mine, or technical) I’ll post it here.
2015-9-13
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Andreas A Posted at 2015-9-14 14:02
Thanks for agreeing regarding the distance and RTH, I’m glad hear that I’m not the only one inte ...

Andreas,
Already replied you in e-mail
2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

China

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 14:20
btw, cant you even guess as to where it could be based on the last position your logs show you?

Yes absolutely, I have looked for hours and spoken to anyone I met there if they have seen anything but no luck unfortunately.
2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

China

DreamingWatchma Posted at 2015-9-14 15:15
I'm not sure about that!
The CE distance is 500 m, the FCC distance is 1000 m.

I live in China, not Sweden. The drone is made, bought and flown in China so it should definitely be 1000m.

Anyway I am now getting help from the DJI support team and when I know the reason (mine, or technical) I’ll post it here.
2015-9-13
Use props
Andreas A
lvl.2

Hong Kong

This is a bit late, but maybe someone still follows this tread: The problem was confirmed by DJI to be in the equipment. Just as I tried to explain so many times already in this thread: the aircraft should come back to the home position if the signal is lost, as simple as that. Anyway DJI's customer service was both very quick and helpful. After investigating the flight records they confirmed I did nothing wrong and sent me a new aircraft as compensation, with no cost for me. I'm very impressed by their customer service.   
2016-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules