Bug discovered in DJI Avata 2
900 31 4-12 06:55
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

This person might have discovered a bug in his DJI Avata 2.

4-12 06:55
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've watched it twice now and I'm thinking it is more of a glitch than a bug.  

Beginner mode should be called turtle mode.  
4-12 07:48
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-12 07:48
I've watched it twice now and I'm thinking it is more of a glitch than a bug.  

But then what will they call turtle mode? Do you know if the Avata 2 actually has turtle mode?
4-12 07:49
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-12 07:49
But then what will they call turtle mode? Do you know if the Avata 2 actually has turtle mode?

That's a great question.  I doubt they would have removed it as it was a great feature.  
4-12 08:42
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-12 08:42
That's a great question.  I doubt they would have removed it as it was a great feature.

I just saw a video. It's still there. Very useful if you crash on a tall roof or something and you can't manually retrieve it.
4-12 08:51
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-12 08:51
I just saw a video. It's still there. Very useful if you crash on a tall roof or something and you can't manually retrieve it.

Good to know that feature was not removed.
4-12 09:52
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6336594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Saw a review of someone actually testing for the tumble and sad to say, to an extent its still there, however it doesn't flat slip on its back like the old onlyfans.com/avatatumble did
4-12 10:50
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8429108 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Exactly the same issue today with Avata 2 and first flight. It was super slow flight in beginner's mode and had to enable/disable it once more and several times unexpected stop with no response to motion controller. Following flights were ok without any issues. Latest firmwares updated before flight of course...
4-12 11:25
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

I came here wondering if it was my bug - I can't get past the "Press accelerator lightly to control aircraft orientation. Press and hold Lock button to land aircraft" stage.

I assume it's a bug in the unlocking logic of onboarding, the only button that works on the RC remote is the lock button, I've done hard trigger pulls, soft trigger pulls, backwards pulls, etc.  All the units talk to each other fine, and the RC control passes all the calibration checks.  It also operates normally in the AR/menu mode when the drone is locked so it doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

I've passed on logs + a video to DJI support. It's a shame there's no factory reset on the Drone I can trigger, it seems like that would kick me out of the busted tutorial onboarding (if that is what it is).
Can't post a new topic, so just adding this comment here.
4-12 13:00
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 4-12 13:00
I came here wondering if it was my bug - I can't get past the "Press accelerator lightly to control aircraft orientation. Press and hold Lock button to land aircraft" stage.

I assume it's a bug in the unlocking logic of onboarding, the only button that works on the RC remote is the lock button, I've done hard trigger pulls, soft trigger pulls, backwards pulls, etc.  All the units talk to each other fine, and the RC control passes all the calibration checks.  It also operates normally in the AR/menu mode when the drone is locked so it doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

You should contact one of the DJI Administrators through the Personal Message. That should help, because I don't know what you are talking about.
4-13 02:21
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-12 09:52
Good to know that feature was not removed.

I once crashed my DJI Spark on my own roof while trying to fly through the window. If it had turtle mode I could have got it back immediately, but I had to put a wooden board on my window and wait a few days for Spark to roll down my roof and onto the board.
4-13 02:28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-13 02:28
I once crashed my DJI Spark on my own roof while trying to fly through the window. If it had turtle mode I could have got it back immediately, but I had to put a wooden board on my window and wait a few days for Spark to roll down my roof and onto the board.

That was a very creative way to "retrieve" the drone.  
4-13 04:42
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-13 04:42
That was a very creative way to "retrieve" the drone.

I didn't think of it. It was my friend's idea. Fortunately he is a quick thinker and he had the idea before the Spark slipped off the roof.
4-13 04:45
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-13 04:45
I didn't think of it. It was my friend's idea. Fortunately he is a quick thinker and he had the idea before the Spark slipped off the roof.

Nice to have smart friends.  
4-13 04:46
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-13 04:46
Nice to have smart friends.

Always better than dumb friends
4-13 05:19
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6336594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice to have turtle mode on a cinewhoop; turtle mode on FPV drones almost always result in prop damage or more.  But ya, as long as you still have reception its a life saver from having to fetch your drone
4-13 05:40
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-13 05:19
Always better than dumb friends

You're right about that.  
4-13 05:48
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-13 02:21
You should contact one of the DJI Administrators through the Personal Message. That should help, because I don't know what you are talking about.

I had already talked to support, I was just wondering if this was a known issue or if there was some way around it.

The new firmware today solved it!  My gimbal is acting a little weird though.
4-13 18:57
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 4-13 18:57
I had already talked to support, I was just wondering if this was a known issue or if there was some way around it.

The new firmware today solved it!  My gimbal is acting a little weird though.

Maybe you just need to do a quick calibration of the horizontal axis and it will correct it's position.
4-14 00:29
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-14 00:29
Maybe you just need to do a quick calibration of the horizontal axis and it will correct it's position.

Calibration normally hangs at 10% in the test, I got it to 60% once.

Seems like I'm not the only one: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 7&page=1#pid3289696
4-14 07:49
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 4-14 07:49
Calibration normally hangs at 10% in the test, I got it to 60% once.

Seems like I'm not the only one: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 7&page=1#pid3289696

There are some YT videos on how to calibrate the Avata 2. You should check them out.
4-14 07:50
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

USER001 Posted at 4-14 07:50
There are some YT videos on how to calibrate the Avata 2. You should check them out.

I've done DJI's gimbal calibration via the goggles a handful of times. Are you talking about something beyond that?

Doing a search for "avata 2" gimbal calibration/calibrate doesn't seem to bring up anything useful
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gimbal+calibration+%22avata+2%22
4-14 08:10
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 4-14 08:10
I've done DJI's gimbal calibration via the goggles a handful of times. Are you talking about something beyond that?

Doing a search for "avata 2" gimbal calibration/calibrate doesn't seem to bring up anything useful

Here is an IMU calibration for the Avata. It should be pretty much the same thing for the Avata 2.

4-14 08:11
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

The IMU checked out as being fine, and that isn't a step that has been recommended in troubleshooting, but I can give it a try later.
4-14 08:58
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

The video basically just mirrors what the on screen process describes.

I got a passing IMU check, still gimble issues.  The errors it gives are intermittent, sometimes stuck, sometimes not, sometimes motor overload, sometimes not. Sometimes it's just a calibration, and once on starting it up the motor moved the camera so it would be centered.
4-15 16:27
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 4-15 16:27
The video basically just mirrors what the on screen process describes.

I got a passing IMU check, still gimble issues.  The errors it gives are intermittent, sometimes stuck, sometimes not, sometimes motor overload, sometimes not. Sometimes it's just a calibration, and once on starting it up the motor moved the camera so it would be centered.

I found a video on gimbal calibration on DJI Avata. It should be the same for the Avata 2.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1KWOXvxu3-o
4-16 01:23
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

I've performed the gimbal calibration test many times. It generally fails at 10%, once it got to 60%.

Errors are intermittent as per https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 767&pid=3291784  

Unfortunately I'm no longer near a store to do an exchange, but I'll try a more extensive cleaning of the gimbal.  I had assumed "debris" referred to larger objects than dust or sand.
4-16 09:26
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 4-16 09:26
I've performed the gimbal calibration test many times. It generally fails at 10%, once it got to 60%.

Errors are intermittent as per https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=310767&pid=3291784  

Yes, you should do a good cleaning. Often that helps.
4-17 00:29
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

No dice. Used some compressed air and moved parts around. It moves cleanly.  Sometimes the camera will align itself when I turn it on, but I get the same gimbal errors after that.
4-17 12:48
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 4-17 12:48
No dice. Used some compressed air and moved parts around. It moves cleanly.  Sometimes the camera will align itself when I turn it on, but I get the same gimbal errors after that.

You are right. With my Avata 2, I have the same issue. It is stuck at 10%, but I twice managed to get it to 60%, but nothing more. I'll create a thread about it and attract some attention, and hopefully get a helpful answer. Once I get a good answer from somebody, I will tell you.
4-18 07:47
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

We ended up heading back to a major city ahead of time due to some bad weather, I was able to exchange it at a Best Buy for a new one, it's been working normally on a few flights now.
5-4 12:39
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

erutan Posted at 5-4 12:39
We ended up heading back to a major city ahead of time due to some bad weather, I was able to exchange it at a Best Buy for a new one, it's been working normally on a few flights now.

Great! And on my Avata 2, I did not replace it, but the gimbal calibration got to 100% this time.
yesterday 01:26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules