waypoints
1285 16 2015-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tommycbaker
lvl.3
United States

so i see people trying out the waypoint feature, but wondering is it practical if your just going to fly around everywhere just one time?  if you are going to be in an area and film it often i would see the practical use for waypoints.  but to fly  around  and set waypoints and then your done.  what's the point?  am i missing something?   

also, im too chicken to try out follow me.  to hop in my vehicle and just drive around like some of you do.. which looks AWESOME, btw.

poi is really nice.  i tried to do it manually before the update, very jerky.  LOL.  

loving the community here and all the GREAT vids.  
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

not every tool in the toolbox needs to be used!!
depends on your needs
2015-9-13
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ray is right, you do not need the tool don't use it, or if you think you are not familiar enough with it don't use it.
I think DJI went with the 'Fly your route to establish waypoint' is a matter of security. The way I will be using all these IOC improvement's is to free me from flying when I want to do good video shots. My 2 cents.
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

capbat Posted at 2015-9-14 03:29
Ray is right, you do not need the tool don't use it, or if you think you are not familiar enough wit ...

you are correct in my opinion bat, to be able to concentrate on video! otherwise why would someone want to pay good money for the p3 and let it fly by itself???
2015-9-13
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.3
United States

Okay I never thought of that but set up the way point so then you can come see it on the video good point
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

tommycbaker@swb Posted at 2015-9-14 03:50
Okay I never thought of that but set up the way point so then you can come see it on the video good  ...

for example tommy: i am shooting video for a company employee appreciation day owned by my friend.
i went there today and setup the waypoints that are going to give me the best angles and away from all the obstacles; trees, power lines, antennas, etc. i tested the route to make sure all is good and safe.
now when i go there later this week, all i have to do is start the mission and not worry about flying side ways or backwards into an obstacle and just concentrate on videoing without worrying non-stop about flying and videoing at same time.
2015-9-13
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.3
United States

so as its flying from point A to point B you can rotate the quad?  it will still follow course?
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

tommycbaker@swb Posted at 2015-9-13 17:37
so as its flying from point A to point B you can rotate the quad?  it will still follow course?

As long as u set the heading to "free"
2015-9-13
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-13 14:57
for example tommy: i am shooting video for a company employee appreciation day owned by my friend. ...

Almost EXACTLY what I'm planning for an upcoming Oral Cancer Awareness walk.   On an old golf course with lots of trees.  In order to get the "sweet shots" I'll need NOT to be 150' in the air.   Going to try and set up way points in the next week or so and try them several times to ensure GPS accuracy at different times /days.

2015-9-13
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-9-13 17:53
Almost EXACTLY what I'm planning for an upcoming Oral Cancer Awareness walk.   On an old golf cour ...

@tommy @baha, you see, you are getting a different perspective, (punt intended)  on waypoints.
This machine is a flying camera, so we should use it as is. They used to build dollies that cost many$$ and spent days building them for big rig cameras in Hollywood. No  We do it with Waypoints.
Bat
2015-9-13
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 03:33
you are correct in my opinion bat, to be able to concentrate on video! otherwise why would someone ...

Right on. For some of us the P3P is just an aerial platform, a tool to do a job. If I wanted to just fly I'd buy a lot cheaper quad.
2015-9-13
Use props
captjohnirving
New

United States

DJI completely dropped the ball with WAYPOINTS. The purpose of programmable waypoints is to allow the pilot to make a flight-plan before starting engines, sent that plan to the autopilot (drone, airliner etc.) so that planed flight is executed after takeoff.  To have to use 20% to 30% of ones battery to fly to the place, save a WAYPOINT there, fly to the next location, save it, ad naseum, then send that plan to the drone and only then fly the plan is absurd.
Like many pilots, I need to be able to plan a flight in advance (maybe days in advance), save it, then execute it when I am ready to fly.
Surely DJI can do better than this!
2015-9-15
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

captjohnirving Posted at 2015-9-15 14:54
DJI completely dropped the ball with WAYPOINTS. The purpose of programmable waypoints is to allow th ...

I understand what you are saying.  I have used waypoint to capture some pretty awesome videos in tight areas, going beneath treas, around bridges, etc.  Areas that it would be very difficult to fly the bird, position the camera, orient it in the vertical plane, control exposure values, all at once.  Using waypoint, I program just about everything in very quickly and am able to get my shot.  Again, this is a flying camera.  That is it's designed purpose .    Using it as a camera, you would want to fly the waypoints first to frame your shot.   Being upset that it is not a ground station is silly because, well, it was not designed to be a ground station.   I agree it would be neat to have this feature added in the future!  But I cant complain now about what these awesome machines do.
2015-9-15
Use props
noticon75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14698 ft

United States

I am like most I would like to be able  to set my way points up  before I drive the 4 hours to the project.  then the 4 hour drive home.  If I could set them up in advance I know roughly my height of obstacles to avoid.  I understand DJI thinks it may be a safety thing but being able to pre-program way points would be a big benefit to some.
2015-9-15
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

noticon75 Posted at 2015-9-15 22:49
I am like most I would like to be able  to set my way points up  before I drive the 4 hours to the p ...

Perhaps they could offer this 'next step' to the existing program which would become live once you had signed a disclaimer that if you inadvertently hit a hitherto unseen object DJI could not be held responsible!
2015-9-16
Use props
RJBTLD
New

Canada

Anyone know if you can save the gimbal position with the way points?  What I would like to do is go back to a location to rerun my mission and have the gimbal frame the shot like it was the last time.
2015-9-16
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

RJBTLD Posted at 2015-9-16 17:15
Anyone know if you can save the gimbal position with the way points?  What I would like to do is go  ...

I'd pay for that $1,000 option. Lot's of technicalities involved with that though.
2015-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules