1099 112 4-19 08:14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s been quite some time since I flew a drone (Dec 2020) but feels good to be back with DJI’s latest toy! Wish me luck with the crashes and hope the old names on here from back in the day are doing well!
4-19 08:14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IMG_9044.jpeg
4-19 08:23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome back,AJ. I expect you'll have lots of fun with the AVATA2.  I'm sticking with my Mavic2Zoom and Mini3Pro.
4-19 09:05
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-19 09:05
Welcome back,AJ. I expect you'll have lots of fun with the AVATA2.  I'm sticking with my Mavic2Zoom and Mini3Pro.

I've missed A LOT mate! My last drone was the Mini 2 and I literally have not even seen any drones since until buying the Avata 2. Renewed everything though - CAA reg, flyer ID, FPV UK (so can fly under article 16), DJI care refresh and DJI's latest bit of fun in the bag which I only got yesterday and have just finished setting up for my maiden flight tomorrow...

I won't be on here as much as I used to be but will definitely share the odd vid and catch up for sure. It's been too long and glad to see you are still enjoying it my friend.
4-19 09:22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-19 09:22
I've missed A LOT mate! My last drone was the Mini 2 and I literally have not even seen any drones since until buying the Avata 2. Renewed everything though - CAA reg, flyer ID, FPV UK (so can fly under article 16), DJI care refresh and DJI's latest bit of fun in the bag which I only got yesterday and have just finished setting up for my maiden flight tomorrow...

I won't be on here as much as I used to be but will definitely share the odd vid and catch up for sure. It's been too long and glad to see you are still enjoying it my friend.

Glad to see you're still alive and kicking, at any rate.
It's been so long, you may not be aware that, after 15 years in France, Mrs.B and I are now back in the UK.
A number of things led to the decision to repatriate ( Damned BREXIT for one!).
Back in Derbyshire now.
Keep us entertained with your AVATA exploits
4-19 09:37
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-19 09:37
Glad to see you're still alive and kicking, at any rate.
It's been so long, you may not be aware that, after 15 years in France, Mrs.B and I are now back in the UK.
A number of things led to the decision to repatriate ( Damned BREXIT for one!).

I wondered why your location showed UK as I remember you lived in France. Welcome home at least mate though I'm sure that was a difficult decision.

I will do my best to entertain. Begginer mode to start off - 2.2mph is about right these days. To think I use to fly the Inspire 1 like it was nothing. How times have changed.
4-19 10:17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-19 10:17
I wondered why your location showed UK as I remember you lived in France. Welcome home at least mate though I'm sure that was a difficult decision.

I will do my best to entertain. Begginer mode to start off - 2.2mph is about right these days. To think I use to fly the Inspire 1 like it was nothing. How times have changed.

Everything evolves, and drones have been no exception
Down-sizing from the Phantom 4 to the Mini3Pro means far greater portability, which is what persuaded me down that route.
4-19 10:28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-19 10:28
Everything evolves, and drones have been no exception
Down-sizing from the Phantom 4 to the Mini3Pro means far greater portability, which is what persuaded me down that route.

And reduced restrictions with the Mini by the look of it which makes life a little easier.

Wish me luck for tomorrow. I have never flown a drone wearing goggles before. Think I'll probably replicate Tech Drone Media's first outing with it - nervous giggles all round!
4-19 10:38
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-19 10:38
And reduced restrictions with the Mini by the look of it which makes life a little easier.

Wish me luck for tomorrow. I have never flown a drone wearing goggles before. Think I'll probably replicate Tech Drone Media's first outing with it - nervous giggles all round!

DAFlys is just a couple of days ahead of you, with his AVATA2. He'll be glad to hear from you too, I expect.
Have fun tomorrow
4-19 10:46
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-19 10:46
DAFlys is just a couple of days ahead of you, with his AVATA2. He'll be glad to hear from you too, I expect.
Have fun tomorrow

Yeah, I remember him - perhaps he can give me some advice.  

Thanks mate and we'll speak again soon.
4-19 10:47
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Holy smokes welcome back!  Rumor on the street was you were off hunting a white whale.  Glad to see you back in the air.
4-19 10:49
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-19 10:49
Holy smokes welcome back!  Rumor on the street was you were off hunting a white whale.  Glad to see you back in the air.

I was mate but it swam off so back to drones.
How are you doing DB. Hope all is well.
4-19 10:53
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-19 10:53
I was mate but it swam off so back to drones.
How are you doing DB. Hope all is well.

I'm hanging in there.  It's raining today so no Avata 2 action for me.  
4-19 10:58
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-19 10:58
I'm hanging in there.  It's raining today so no Avata 2 action for me.

Tell me about it - got everything delivered yesterday to head out today but good old April showers kept me grounded. Still, is sunny tomorrow and I'm as prepared as you can be! Still nervous though as first time ever flying FPV and my first drone flight since Dec 2020. Is the Avata 2 as fun as it looks?
4-19 11:01
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Welcome back Andy, great to have you back after so long.
4-19 11:55
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-19 11:01
Tell me about it - got everything delivered yesterday to head out today but good old April showers kept me grounded. Still, is sunny tomorrow and I'm as prepared as you can be! Still nervous though as first time ever flying FPV and my first drone flight since Dec 2020. Is the Avata 2 as fun as it looks?

I've only flown mine once.  Just a brief test flight.  Only about a month ago I was sort of gifted a crashed Avata 1 with 6 batteries.  I already owned the Goggles Integra & MC2.  Sent it to DJI for repair.  Bought a 2-year Care Refresh plan, a custom case & the FPV Controller 2.  For about $500 I had a full-on Avata package with 6 batteries (<10 cycles each!)  Here I am a month later with an Avata 2!  

In Normal or Sport mode it's like flying any other DJI drone.  Problem is you get the urge to go fast near things.  Here is my Avata 1 maiden.  3 minutes of pure joy...

20240326_193824.jpg
4-19 12:06
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 4-19 11:55
Welcome back Andy, great to have you back after so long.

Thanks mate - it has been way too long! Good to see you still on here.
4-19 12:49
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-19 12:06
I've only flown mine once.  Just a brief test flight.  Only about a month ago I was sort of gifted a crashed Avata 1 with 6 batteries.  I already owned the Goggles Integra & MC2.  Sent it to DJI for repair.  Bought a 2-year Care Refresh plan, a custom case & the FPV Controller 2.  For about $500 I had a full-on Avata package with 6 batteries (

Wow DB - that was an exceptional bit of flying for a first flight mate. Shame about the crash landing but I'm starting to realise that is going to be part of owning this through a stiff learning curve.
I strongly doubt my first flight with the Avata 2 tomorrow will come anywhere close to that skill but really looking forward to just putting her in the air and getting back into it.
I'll let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed!
4-19 12:59
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to seeing you back
You have been missed here!
And nice to see the Avata 2 in your 'hands' too
4-19 13:55
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-19 12:59
Wow DB - that was an exceptional bit of flying for a first flight mate. Shame about the crash landing but I'm starting to realise that is going to be part of owning this through a stiff learning curve.
I strongly doubt my first flight with the Avata 2 tomorrow will come anywhere close to that skill but really looking forward to just putting her in the air and getting back into it.
I'll let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed!

You're going to love it.  My crash was just a cracked landing stud.  A bit of 5-minute epoxy & you can barely tell it happened.  Pretty amazing compared to what would have happened had a camera drone experienced that crash!
4-19 14:22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice to see you back, AJ,  We all wondered if you were OK.
4-20 00:43
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on getting the Avata 2 and good to see you back on the forum AJ.  
4-20 03:15
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Congratulations! You will have lots of fun. Mine just arrived on Tuesday.
4-20 03:22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 4-19 13:55
Nice to seeing you back  
You have been missed here!
And nice to see the Avata 2 in your 'hands' too

Thanks Monty - appreciate the comment mate. Nice to be back.
4-20 13:42
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-19 14:22
You're going to love it.  My crash was just a cracked landing stud.  A bit of 5-minute epoxy & you can barely tell it happened.  Pretty amazing compared to what would have happened had a camera drone experienced that crash!

And I did mate. Took my old man with me as a spotter which took the edge off flying a little and didn't fly too close to trees etc on my first few flights so no crashes. Loved every minute of it and so pleased with my decision to pull the trigger. I have a feeling this little drone is going to take me down a different path.  
4-20 13:44
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-20 00:43
Nice to see you back, AJ,  We all wondered if you were OK.

Great to see you still at it Daf. I'm alive and kicking thanks mate and thoroughly enjoyed flying my Avata 2 for the first time today (thank God for article 16). The motion controller makes it so easy. I was in beginner mode for about 20 seconds then switched to normal and sport on the first flight. It's so stable and agile and much quieter than I thought. Will be getting closer to objects on my next few flights and take it from there. No pressure lol
4-20 13:48
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-20 03:22
Congratulations! You will have lots of fun. Mine just arrived on Tuesday.

I certainly did today. It's a great flight experience for sure. Enjoy yours. Are you new to the forum?
4-20 13:50
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-20 03:15
Congrats on getting the Avata 2 and good to see you back on the forum AJ.

Hello mate - now that's a name from the past on here. Hope all is well.
Flew my maiden today with the Avata 2 and loved it. Amazing little drone and great fun to fly. No dramas and yeah, I made the right choice getting this one as something different to all of the other drones I have owned in the past.
4-20 13:53
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328632 ft
United States

Similar history.  Couple months ago was the first time flying a quad since '17 or '18.   Avata2 is the first DJI platform.  Also, the first time I have not crashed a UAS on the maiden session. Only have the Motion Controller.  Flying right now lacks flow.  Need a bit more time using this unique controller. Initial impression.  Same feeling as you.  Made the right choice and definitely something different. Especially with the MC2.  
4-20 15:34
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OldGuy2024 Posted at 4-20 15:34
Similar history.  Couple months ago was the first time flying a quad since '17 or '18.   Avata2 is the first DJI platform.  Also, the first time I have not crashed a UAS on the maiden session. Only have the Motion Controller.  Flying right now lacks flow.  Need a bit more time using this unique controller. Initial impression.  Same feeling as you.  Made the right choice and definitely something different. Especially with the MC2.

Good for you - it's a great drone and flying experience to return to. No regrets.
We're on the MC3 now!
4-20 22:28
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-20 13:50
I certainly did today. It's a great flight experience for sure. Enjoy yours. Are you new to the forum?

Yes, I'm new. I think I'm addicted to this Easy ACRO thingy.
4-21 01:15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-20 13:53
Hello mate - now that's a name from the past on here. Hope all is well.
Flew my maiden today with the Avata 2 and loved it. Amazing little drone and great fun to fly. No dramas and yeah, I made the right choice getting this one as something different to all of the other drones I have owned in the past.

I really wish I could fly FPV.  I bought a cinewhoop a year or so back to give FPV flying a try and every flight I would get super dizzy and get vertigo.  I even tried flying sitting down but got same negative results.  I had my eyes checked and turns out no issue there.  Personally, I think it has to do with the goggles and the reason I say that is a couple  of years back I got the same vertigo feeling while wearing night vision goggles.  What's really weird is I can watch FPV video footage and it doesn't make me dizzy or anything.  Anyway, I hope it works out great for you.  
4-21 07:18
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 07:18
I really wish I could fly FPV.  I bought a cinewhoop a year or so back to give FPV flying a try and every flight I would get super dizzy and get vertigo.  I even tried flying sitting down but got same negative results.  I had my eyes checked and turns out no issue there.  Personally, I think it has to do with the goggles and the reason I say that is a couple  of years back I got the same vertigo feeling while wearing night vision goggles.  What's really weird is I can watch FPV video footage and it doesn't make me dizzy or anything.  Anyway, I hope it works out great for you.

Friend who flies a MiniPro4 has the controller with the touch screen. No goggles. How he flies. He is more into image capture than free flying.  With my analog hardware I ended up flying using a small OLED monitor.  Old eyes needed +1.75 readers to see sharply using the box goggles.  Had to diy a reader lens system.  Goggles were too narrow for readers to fit inside.  Bit of pita. So back to old school days of monitor screen when flying the analog UASs.

Last December developed now diagnosed idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss(iSSHL).  Initially vertigo and dizziness was an issue due to the damage to the inner ear.  Have you had your primary care or ENT provider check out your ears?
4-21 08:16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

OldGuy2024 Posted at 4-21 08:16
Friend who flies a MiniPro4 has the controller with the touch screen. No goggles. How he flies. He is more into image capture than free flying.  With my analog hardware I ended up flying using a small OLED monitor.  Old eyes needed +1.75 readers to see sharply using the box goggles.  Had to diy a reader lens system.  Goggles were too narrow for readers to fit inside.  Bit of pita. So back to old school days of monitor screen when flying the analog UASs.

Last December developed now diagnosed idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss(iSSHL).  Initially vertigo and dizziness was an issue due to the damage to the inner ear.  Have you had your primary care or ENT provider check out your ears?

Yes, that was one of the referrals I was given.  Results were negative.  So now I just enjoy watching the FPV videos.  
4-21 08:31
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 08:31
Yes, that was one of the referrals I was given.  Results were negative.  So now I just enjoy watching the FPV videos.

Sorry to hear about your issue and no real options to fly fpv.
Once in awhile for whatever reason my vision "jelly scrolls" if moving my head rapidly.  One reason I returned to FPV.  Life has a new limit element.  Aging has been rough enough when it comes to doing fun things.   
4-22 08:22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 07:18

Sorry to hear that mate. Must admit that I had genuine concerns when I bought the Avata 2 that I may suffer from vertigo and nausea or at least have to sit down to fly but I luckily didn't experience any adverse symptoms during my first flights on the weekend. What may have helped is that I did a lot of prep at home before flying and wore the goggles (without flying) during my prep to get use to wearing them.
4-22 09:25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-21 01:15
Yes, I'm new. I think I'm addicted to this Easy ACRO thingy.

It is a very addictive hobby when you are in with both feet - trust me! Enjoy!  
4-22 09:40
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-22 09:40
It is a very addictive hobby when you are in with both feet - trust me! Enjoy!

It sure is!
4-22 09:44
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

OldGuy2024 Posted at 4-22 08:22
Sorry to hear about your issue and no real options to fly fpv.
Once in awhile for whatever reason my vision "jelly scrolls" if moving my head rapidly.  One reason I returned to FPV.  Life has a new limit element.  Aging has been rough enough when it comes to doing fun things.

It does have a way of slowing you down but I just try to press on and make the best of each and every day.  
4-22 13:02
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-22 09:25
Sorry to hear that mate. Must admit that I had genuine concerns when I bought the Avata 2 that I may suffer from vertigo and nausea or at least have to sit down to fly but I luckily didn't experience any adverse symptoms during my first flights on the weekend. What may have helped is that I did a lot of prep at home before flying and wore the goggles (without flying) during my prep to get use to wearing them.

That's great news AJ.  Also, sounds like you had a great pre-flight plan to get used to the goggles.  
4-22 13:03
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules