185 14 4-24 08:38
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jake Deer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8446296 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone else noticed that waypoint missions don't seem to be very accuarate the next time they are used? On my Air 3 & Mini 4 Pro, both seem to be 10 -20 feet off of the oringinally saved waypoint mission.
4-24 08:38
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Look in the specs section of the manual.
4-24 09:18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. To resume a previous waypoint flight mission, it is recommended to take off at a position of almost the same altitude as the previous mission to avoid a great error in the waypoint altitude. Please try to have a test flight again and check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted.
4-24 20:08
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The accuracy of your waypoints will only be as accurate as consumer GPS which obviously isn't as accurate as you assumed it was.
An accuracy of +/- a few metres is normal.
4-24 21:53
Use props
Ethan100101
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6823911 ft
United States

I know exactly what you're talking about Jake. I've experienced this on my Mini 3 Pro and documented it well. Screen recording making the waypoints, and screen recordings running them on different days.  Working with DJI support now to see what they can find.

Not based in any science, but I have a wild and crazy theory that the waypoint altitude uses some measurement from the barometer, when it should be using the actual GPS/Visual altitude. In my few experiences with this issue, waypoints are WAY off on the missions I created close to a thunderstorm when recalled on nice sunny days.
4-30 15:20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ethan100101 Posted at 4-30 15:20
I know exactly what you're talking about Jake. I've experienced this on my Mini 3 Pro and documented it well. Screen recording making the waypoints, and screen recordings running them on different days.  Working with DJI support now to see what they can find.

Not based in any science, but I have a wild and crazy theory that the waypoint altitude uses some measurement from the barometer, when it should be using the actual GPS/Visual altitude. In my few experiences with this issue, waypoints are WAY off on the missions I created close to a thunderstorm when recalled on nice sunny days.

Not based in any science, but I have a wild and crazy theory that the waypoint altitude uses some measurement from the barometer, when it should be using the actual GPS/Visual altitude.
If you knew how your drone works, you'd know that all height measurement is with the barometric sensor.
That's normal and how DJI drones have always worked.
VPS (what you call visual altitude) has a very limited range and can only be used at very low heights and GPS is not used at all for height measurement.
What do you think it should be?

In my few experiences with this issue, waypoints are WAY off on the missions I created close to a thunderstorm when recalled on nice sunny days.
What was "way off"?  You need to give more information for anyone to understand what you are saying.

4-30 15:52
Use props
Ethan100101
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-30 15:52
Not based in any science, but I have a wild and crazy theory that the waypoint altitude uses some measurement from the barometer, when it should be using the actual GPS/Visual altitude.
If you knew how your drone works, you'd know that all height measurement is with the barometric sensor.

I thought the drone got it's altitude mostly from GPS, and uses barometric/VPS for a more precise final number during altitude changes. What I was trying to get at is maybe the drone is using ONLY the barometric reading for hyperlapse waypoints.  Idk man, I'm not a DJI engineer.

If I set a waypoint at 100ft, the drone will go to 80 ft sometimes when recalled, sometimes it'll go to 120ft. The drone knows how high it is, it just doesn't go to the correct altitude I set at the waypoint.

"Way off" is +/- 20 ft. I even had one scenario where the waypoint was greater than 100 ft off and the drone attempted to go into the ground on route to its first waypoint. But that felt like a big fluke, and I haven't been able to replicate it.

I have the issue well documented with screen recordings of me making the waypoint, running it immediately, then running it again multiple different times on multiple different days. I've already sent them off to DJI, but if you're really interested, PM me and I'll send you the videos of the issue.
This is a software issue, not an issue with the accuracy of any sensors.
4-30 19:07
Use props
Ethan100101
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-30 15:52

I've read a couple of your other posts on altitude. A couple of them have to do with setting waypoints.. Even if the altitude calculation from barometric alone is off, shouldn't the altitude on my controller be off too?

Why does my controller say 80ft one day, 120ft the next day, when it said 100ft  3 days ago when I set the waypoint?
4-30 19:21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ethan100101 Posted at 4-30 19:07
I thought the drone got it's altitude mostly from GPS, and uses barometric/VPS for a more precise final number during altitude changes. What I was trying to get at is maybe the drone is using ONLY the barometric reading for hyperlapse waypoints.  Idk man, I'm not a DJI engineer.

If I set a waypoint at 100ft, the drone will go to 80 ft sometimes when recalled, sometimes it'll go to 120ft. The drone knows how high it is, it just doesn't go to the correct altitude I set at the waypoint.

Yeah ... you don't know.
GPS would be much less accurate than the barometric sensor for height.
Outside of the limited of VPS sensors, your drone uses the barometric sensor for all height measurtement.

I've not used DJI's waypoint application so I can't be sure.
It should be obvious, but I'd have to ask if you understand that all heights are relevant to where you launched?
Since I don't see anyone else complaining about this, I'd wonder if  perhaps the issue might be that you are doing something wrong in setting  up the mission??

Even if the altitude calculation from barometric alone is off, shouldn't the altitude on my controller be off too?
No ... what you are suggesting doesn't make any sense.
The height you see on the controller is the height that the drone's sensors are recording.

Why does my controller say 80ft one day, 120ft the next day, when it said 100ft  3 days ago when I set the waypoint?
I can't understand whatever it is you are trying to say here.

4-30 21:02
Use props
Jake Deer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ethan100101 Posted at 4-30 15:20
I know exactly what you're talking about Jake. I've experienced this on my Mini 3 Pro and documented it well. Screen recording making the waypoints, and screen recordings running them on different days.  Working with DJI support now to see what they can find.

Not based in any science, but I have a wild and crazy theory that the waypoint altitude uses some measurement from the barometer, when it should be using the actual GPS/Visual altitude. In my few experiences with this issue, waypoints are WAY off on the missions I created close to a thunderstorm when recalled on nice sunny days.

Thanks Ethan. I'm used to Litchi being "dead on" every single time. So, I thought dji would be accurate to, but it doesn't look like it is at all. I'll just wait for Litchi to get the SDK. I use waypoints to check our warehouse that is several hundred yards away at work.
5-1 08:14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Jake Deer Posted at 5-1 08:14
Thanks Ethan. I'm used to Litchi being "dead on" every single time. So, I thought dji would be accurate to, but it doesn't look like it is at all. I'll just wait for Litchi to get the SDK. I use waypoints to check our warehouse that is several hundred yards away at work.

I'm used to Litchi being "dead on" every single time. So, I thought dji would be accurate to, but it doesn't look like it is at all.
This has nothing to do with Litchi or DJI.
Both can only be as precise as consumer GPS which is not as precise as many people imagine.
GPS has variable inaccuracy of +/- 10 feet or so.

I'll just wait for Litchi to get the SDK.
Litchi will get the SDK when DJI releases the SDK  ... that's never.
5-1 15:00
Use props
Jake Deer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-1 15:00
I'm used to Litchi being "dead on" every single time. So, I thought dji would be accurate to, but it doesn't look like it is at all.
This has nothing to do with Litchi or DJI.
Both can only be as precise as consumer GPS which is not as precise as many people imagine.

Yeah, i'll use my older drones with Litchi for what i need. They are always accurate with waypoints.
5-1 15:14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Jake Deer Posted at 5-1 15:14
Yeah, i'll use my older drones with Litchi for what i need. They are always accurate with waypoints.

You are fooling yourself.
It has nothing to do with Litchi.
Litchi can only be as precise as consumer GPS.
5-1 15:54
Use props
Jake Deer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-1 15:54
You are fooling yourself.
It has nothing to do with Litchi.
Litchi can only be as precise as consumer GPS.

Ok, thanks.
5-1 17:42
Use props
Ethan100101
lvl.1
United States

I don’t think labroides understands the issue enough to really be commenting on it. The height measurements are accurate, it’s something in the software telling the drone to go to the wrong height when recalling waypoints. DJI is working on it with me.
5-2 04:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules