Pocket 3 - Ways to avoid lens flare "veiling" during winter walks?
198 5 5-8 09:35
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tripecac
lvl.2

New Zealand

I recently filmed a walk with the Pocket 3, and when I got home I was disappointed to see there was a lot of lens "veiling", where the sun causes the entire screen to go pale.  

It happened whenever I was walking toward the sun.  The sun wasn't directly in the frame, but it was pretty low in the sky, because it's winter here (in New Zealand).  I was walking in a loop, so walking into the sun was unavoidable for a significant part of the time.

Because the sun was out, I had decided to use a (Freewell) ND16 filter.  I was hoping, like sunglasses, it would reduce blowouts and lens flare.  However, I'm wondering if the ND filter made the veiling worse (for whatever reasons).  Has anyone tested where ND filters make veiling worse on the Pocket 3 (or any action camera w/o a hood)?

I was recording in D-Log M.  I don't suppose the color profile would make a difference to veiling, would it?

Short of avoiding filming loop walks in the winter (when the sun is out), is there anything else I could do to reduce the chance of veiling with the Pocket 3?

Thanks!

5-8 09:35
Use props
fansa6ff3a6c
lvl.3
United States

There are third party hoods you can experiment with (e.g. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806603796674.html)
5-8 09:50
Use props
Tripecac
lvl.2

New Zealand

Awesome, thanks!  I didn't know lens hoods exists for Pocket 3.  I've ordered one and will give it a shot.
5-8 10:42
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa6ff3a6c Posted at 5-8 09:50
There are third party hoods you can experiment with (e.g. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806603796674.html)

That's a nice looking hood.  Thanks for sharing.  
5-8 13:49
Use props
snoopx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Careful of those aftermarket lenshoods. I bought one from Aliexpess, similar-looking to the one in the link above. It's made of very tough plastic and is a tight fit which resulted in scratches on the OP3 after using it.
5-10 13:35
Use props
Tripecac
lvl.2

New Zealand

I ordered 2 lens hoods (not from AliExpress) and they arrived yesterday.  

They fit ok, but they are mounted on the gimbal base and not the camera itself, so they only work if you hold the Pocket 3 vertically.  This might be fine for some folks, but when I'm filming near people, I like to hold the Pocket 3 down at my hip, horizontally, so it doesn't look like I'm filming.  At that angle, the lens hood completely blocks the camera, so the picture is 100% black.

So much for that idea!
5-13 18:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules