Zero Throttle Split-S Acro with Avata 2 (first attempt)
123Next >
1546 111 5-24 05:02
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14819836 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying in full manual with the Avata 2. First time trying out Split-S freestyle acro doing a combo of 180 spins with zero throttle to free fall from altitude then 180 backward flips before applying throttle to stop crashing into the ground... By far the most difficult but equally enjoyable flying I have ever done with a drone to date! Flying in full manual FPV just keeps getting better and better!

Also hit my record speed with this drone at 61.9MPH/100KM/H today and got a total of 48 minutes flight time now that I have four batteries (flying in acro in a moderate wind with all of them).

5-24 05:02
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, really nice freestyle flying AJ.    You're really getting a good grasp on manual flying.  Congrats on setting your new high speed record.  
5-24 06:39
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice one AJ,   you're really getting good at this M mode lark.
5-24 06:48
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-24 06:48
Nice one AJ,   you're really getting good at this M mode lark.

I didn't show the bit when I nearly bounced off the ground after a low altitude flip - set my rates to 360 to give me a full second in rotation but didn't apply enough throttle. I did manage to complete the flip and had the throttle all the way up so skimmed the grass - closest I've come to a proper crash. I wasn't even doing a split-s at the time.
5-24 07:13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-24 06:39
Wow, really nice freestyle flying AJ.    You're really getting a good grasp on manual flying.  Congrats on setting your new high speed record.

Thanks Rich. Next step is to end the Split-S coming through a gap... Then it's time to find some hills and fly down using this technique. Pulling back on the throttle to zero while the drone is upside-down and falling to the ground is very nerve racking! It's a great new skill to have!
5-24 07:16
Use props
BetterBizTech
Captain
Flight distance : 6870043 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done.
5-24 11:22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Charles!
5-24 11:41
Use props
SnowSkier Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Portugal

Nice place to fly near ground level, and a beutiful spot too. So green.
Did you use any luts here?
5-24 13:42
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SnowSkier Pilot Posted at 5-24 13:42
Nice place to fly near ground level, and a beutiful spot too. So green.
Did you use any luts here?

Thanks. This is my training field where I’ve been flying drones since 2016. It’s perfect for learning full manual FPV as a dedicated model aircraft field so dog walkers know to walk around it as sign posted! It’s obviously a very familiar environment too which is also important when learning FPV. And it’s an historic place as the war of the roses were fought on these fields!

No, I never used any luts. This was recorded in normal colour profile with no colour grading at all in post - it’s straight off the Avata 2. I did use a DJI ND8 to enhance motion blur by enabling me to slower the shutter speed without over exposing but that’s it and being a neutral filter it had no impact on the colour either. As you may appreciate video quality was not my focus when learning to fly upside down with no throttle input for the first time lol
5-24 20:59
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-24 07:16
Thanks Rich. Next step is to end the Split-S coming through a gap... Then it's time to find some hills and fly down using this technique. Pulling back on the throttle to zero while the drone is upside-down and falling to the ground is very nerve racking! It's a great new skill to have!

It seems that would be a nerve racking evolution.  I'd probably let it fall too far before trying to recover and just slam into the ground.  
5-25 02:32
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 02:32
It seems that would be a nerve racking evolution.  I'd probably let it fall too far before trying to recover and just slam into the ground.

It's really strange but at the second you regain control of the drone from free falling it is a lot easier to direct it than when simply flying around. I really need to focus more on simple proximity flying and controlling the drone in tight quarters. A covered car park will be perfect!
5-25 02:53
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-25 02:53
It's really strange but at the second you regain control of the drone from free falling it is a lot easier to direct it than when simply flying around. I really need to focus more on simple proximity flying and controlling the drone in tight quarters. A covered car park will be perfect!

A covered car park sounds like an ideal training ground.  Hopefully, you can gain access to one.  
5-25 03:06
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 03:06
A covered car park sounds like an ideal training ground.  Hopefully, you can gain access to one.

I'll have to find an abandoned one - there must be loads in England now nobody can afford a car
5-25 04:31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-25 04:31
I'll have to find an abandoned one - there must be loads in England now nobody can afford a car

The economy is not good for the consumer anywhere it seems. The cost of home owner's insurance has skyrocketed here in Florida.  Even the insurance for my boat doubled and I can get underway to avoid the issues of hurricane season.  Oh well, we just have to make the best of the situation.   
5-25 04:58
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 04:58
The economy is not good for the consumer anywhere it seems. The cost of home owner's insurance has skyrocketed here in Florida.  Even the insurance for my boat doubled and I can get underway to avoid the issues of hurricane season.  Oh well, we just have to make the best of the situation.

Exactly - it's a tough economy for most people these days. My be the man who bought that yacht for $4bn might even have to sell his T-Rex skeleton to cover the petrol costs!
5-25 07:25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-25 07:25
Exactly - it's a tough economy for most people these days. My be the man who bought that yacht for $4bn might even have to sell his T-Rex skeleton to cover the petrol costs!

Possibility but I'm betting he has plenty of tax shelters and plenty of cash flow and liquid assets available to him.  
5-25 09:06
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 09:06
Possibility but I'm betting he has plenty of tax shelters and plenty of cash flow and liquid assets available to him.

And a yacht with a gold hull LOL
5-25 10:24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 03:06
A covered car park sounds like an ideal training ground.  Hopefully, you can gain access to one.

Can't find any around here! I've decided to stick with practicing proximity flying in the field! Then power loops before the mountain dives!
5-26 01:28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-25 10:24
And a yacht with a gold hull LOL

Don't laugh but I've seen a few yachts in the local harbor that have ATM machines onboard for guests and you know all of them have owner's safes onboard for ready access to cash and some even have safes in the guest cabins.  
5-26 04:55
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-26 01:28
Can't find any around here! I've decided to stick with practicing proximity flying in the field! Then power loops before the mountain dives!

That's a shame that none are available.  Well, back to the field it is.  Practice, practice, practice.  
5-26 05:15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-26 05:15
That's a shame that none are available.  Well, back to the field it is.  Practice, practice, practice.

5-26 05:48
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-26 04:55
Don't laugh but I've seen a few yachts in the local harbor that have ATM machines onboard for guests and you know all of them have owner's safes onboard for ready access to cash and some even have safes in the guest cabins.

How the other half (or should I say top 0.0001%) live!
5-26 05:49
Use props
Phatdad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6620328 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great split S, smooth gimbal actions too, keep up the practise
5-27 01:14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phatdad Posted at 5-27 01:14
Great split S, smooth gimbal actions too, keep up the practise

It's not easy but getting there! Amazed I haven't crashed yet after 16 full manual flights
5-27 01:16
Use props
Phatdad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6620328 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-27 01:16
It's not easy but getting there! Amazed I haven't crashed yet after 16 full manual flights

https://m.skypixel.com/sp-app/videos/fun-with-dji-fpv?utm_source=M_SKP&utm_medium=Copy

I own all sorts of FPV and crashed them all, it’s a part of FPV. Crash, fix and repeat! Lol…
5-27 01:48
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phatdad Posted at 5-27 01:48
https://m.skypixel.com/sp-app/videos/fun-with-dji-fpv?utm_source=M_SKP&utm_medium=Copy

I own all sorts of FPV and crashed them all, it’s a part of FPV. Crash, fix and repeat! Lol…

Pressing the pause button saves a lot of headache, time and money. I've got care refresh though as and when it happens.
5-27 01:55
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-26 05:49
How the other half (or should I say top 0.0001%) live!

I've done really goo over the years with my portfolio but nothing like any of these major yacht owners.  How about this one owner that catered in a birthday party on his boat for his 10 year old daughter at a cost of $147,000.  Way too extravagant for my tastes or liking.  I guess I'm just a tightwad with my money.  
5-27 05:08
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-27 05:08
I've done really goo over the years with my portfolio but nothing like any of these major yacht owners.  How about this one owner that catered in a birthday party on his boat for his 10 year old daughter at a cost of $147,000.  Way too extravagant for my tastes or liking.  I guess I'm just a tightwad with my money.

Thats a lot of cash for a birthday party unless you are very wealthy
5-27 06:17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-27 06:17
Thats a lot of cash for a birthday party unless you are very wealthy

They say this guy is worth over $150M.  He owns land in 5 different states and 3 different companies.  
5-28 15:05
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-28 15:05
They say this guy is worth over $150M.  He owns land in 5 different states and 3 different companies.

Thats a fair slice in the bank
5-28 15:32
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-28 15:32
Thats a fair slice in the bank

Fair slice considering one of his companies own 4 banks.  
5-28 16:03
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-28 16:03
Fair slice considering one of his companies own 4 banks.

Then I suspect they are missing some zeros on his net worth estimate lol
5-28 23:41
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-28 23:41
Then I suspect they are missing some zeros on his net worth estimate lol

After reading up on him more I found that one article's statistics were way off.  He is valued at closer to $14 Bn dollars.
5-29 14:40
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-29 14:40
After reading up on him more I found that one article's statistics were way off.  He is valued at closer to $14 Bn dollars.

There you go - people who own banks would consider $150m chicken feed!
5-30 01:23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-30 01:23
There you go - people who own banks would consider $150m chicken feed!

I like that old saying "If I had all his money I'd burn my money".  
5-30 05:30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-30 05:30
I like that old saying "If I had all his money I'd burn my money".

Interesting! That is something I could never do Just spend it!
5-30 05:57
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-30 05:57
Interesting! That is something I could never do  Just spend it!

I agree with you...as that was just a "saying".  
5-30 06:09
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-30 06:09
I agree with you...as that was just a "saying".

Or save it but you can't take it with you!
5-30 06:23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-30 06:23
Or save it but you can't take it with you!

There’s a reason that hearses aren’t normally equipped with trailer hitches: you can’t take it with you. Whatever material gain we get in this life, whatever we earn, accumulate, hoard, store, once we are gone, it’s no longer ours. Because you can’t take it with you.  

This being the exception I guess.....
Hearse_U-Haul.jpg
5-30 06:40
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-30 06:40
There’s a reason that hearses aren’t normally equipped with trailer hitches: you can’t take it with you. Whatever material gain we get in this life, whatever we earn, accumulate, hoard, store, once we are gone, it’s no longer ours. Because you can’t take it with you.  

This being the exception I guess.....

So true - you earn't it, you enjoy it and what's left goes to the grand kids to give them a head start!

Hahahaha - what is that photo about? A dead person having the last laugh?
5-30 06:47
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules