3864 10 2015-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Hey all,

Sometimes all I get is a grid, no land/water/park features, like the attached image. This is using an iPad Air Wi-fi only. I look all over the UI to see if I mistakenly hit a control that I can toggle back, but I never find one.

Is it because my device lacks GPS? Because if that's so, why do I sometimes get a map, sometimes don't?

Also, what are the red circles?

Thanks for any help. This doesn't stop me from flying, but I can't comfirm my HP.

Chris

IMG_0002[1].PNG
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

if device is not cellular and you havent cached the map when you had internet connection then you will experience what you stated above.
easiest way is when you have internet connection to open dji go app and center the location you will be flying at on the map. this will cache the map and once on location you will see it.
2015-9-15
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-15 12:09
if device is not cellular and you havent cached the map when you had internet connection then you wi ...

Okay, that being the case, I am now super pissed at DJI. I can do without the Follow Me feature, but not the map. Note that the iPad Air 2 is listed in the recommended devices list.

The following devices are recommended:
iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
Android: Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Z3 EXPERIA, Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini Support for additional Android devices will become available as testing and development continues
2015-9-15
Use props
alteredimagevin
lvl.1

United States

Just load up the map prior to flying while you have WiFi signal. The map will then be cached for when you fly in that area. Draw back is you will have to do this with every different location you fly at.
2015-9-15
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Some of us are having this problem, even after caching maps.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-28164-1-1.html
2015-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Are you guys always caching your flight maps through WiFi, while the Phantom is also turned on. Not just the radio controller and your device.
I don't have a SiM card/Cellular turned on, but find that most settings must be done while the Phantom is turned on or they don't retain the values.
So I'm wondering if the same holds true, with the map caching issues.
Try doing all of your parameter adjustments and value changes, including map caching only when the drone is running, & with your green lights flashing.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-15
Use props
ThunderGuts
lvl.1

Australia

Assuming you have a phone with a data plan the other alternative is to use your phone as a hotspot and connect the ipad.

Not sure how much data the maps use but a good alternative if you are stuck.
2015-9-15
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-16 12:40
Are you guys always caching your flight maps through WiFi, while the Phantom is also turned on. Not  ...

I have downloaded the maps at home, with everything turned on as if I was going to fly.
P3, transmitter, iPad Air 2 (no SIM), and a WiFi connection (even 4 GPS signals).
The maps will still disappear.., just as randomly.

I can also download the maps to my iPad, without connecting to the controller or P3.., and have maps cache for days. So, it seems like that has nothing to do with maps storing to DJI GO app.

Anyway.., the thread I mentioned may be a different problem to the OP's.., as I have had maps cached, then disappear days later.
So;
1) Maps do cache to Ipad. Will remain for days, if not weeks.
2) Maps will eventually be deleted randomly. An hour later. A day later. A week later. Its fairly random.

I'm in the process of just trying to narrow down when it happens, and notice what differences there are in my procedure.
I can even turn the iPad off.., and back on. STILL have maps.
I can change start location.., STILL have maps.
I can change batteries.., open/close DJI GO, change transmitters, IMU calibrate, compass calibrate, load DJI GO without being connected to controller or bird.., and STILL the maps will remain.
2015-9-15
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-15 21:02
I have downloaded the maps at home, with everything turned on as if I was going to fly.
P3, transm ...

Yeah, it's random to me too. The DJI guys may have a better idea of it, but they're not doing a good enough job getting the message to us. They should first clarify their supported devices list to mention which will not show maps. They should also explicitly call out in their documentation that full map support does not exist on devices without GPS ability.
2015-9-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's difficult for me to answer your question, because it doesn't happen to me. My map (coordinates) are there, when ever I open the Go app.
Aside from what I have already said, Not sure I could duplicate these issues, to give you guys a better qualified reply.
It may be a glitche in the latest firmware that needs a reworking. And as usual, only affects certain Phantom 3 models, but not all.
It would be wonderful if we could all be on the same page, but with so many variables between devices, App version, is FirmWare up to date or not.
While Phantom Pilots, want to have the freedom, to make individual choices and use discretion, with their own specific requirements. All kinds of things can change.

Because I am still trouble free, I like to Try and assist others with their concerns and issues, related to flying this incredible model.

RedHotPoker

2015-9-16
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

[The image didn't take last time so I just edited post #1]

So does anyone know what the red circles are?

2015-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules