Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iczeman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8824416 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Hi,
Does somebody else facing issue with video quality below 60FPS that is totally unusable, shaky and not smooth at all?

Tested in one location and now tested again and same issue persists even with latest firmwares, softwares etc.

Following is example of affected video recorded in vertical 24fps. playback tested on mobile phone S24 Ultra, two computers and nowhere is smooth and almost hurts my eyes :-)

Used memory card is Samsung Pro Plus so fast enough and tested in benchmark so working properly and I don't have such an issue with other drones at all...

Any suggestions and tips are more than welcome...
PS: Same issue with MasterShots

7-8 11:00
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1835469 ft
Italy

I usually shot videos at 30 fps in 4K HDR HLG and I find them amazing. But, maybe, it's only matter of expectations.Here following some examples.

7-8 11:27
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 7221378 ft
  • >>>
Russia

This effect is called strobe; to eliminate it, ND filters are used to ensure that the shutter speed is no shorter than 2x frames. Those. at 24 frames per second the shutter speed should be approximately 1/50
Read about using ND filters, there is a lot of material on the Internet.
7-8 11:51
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

FabioV Posted at 7-8 11:27
I usually shot videos at 30 fps in 4K HDR HLG and I find them amazing. But, maybe, it's only matter of expectations.Here following some examples.
https://youtu.be/Y1ofAxtJfOU?si=0aAoMJA4GUmiE4-p
https://youtu.be/0xeIkXzIPWA?si=IL-0jhEqbMv0Prnn

Thank you for reply and sharing of those amazing footages. Very nice quality and especially HDR
7-10 01:44
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

Serg SSA Posted at 7-8 11:51
This effect is called strobe; to eliminate it, ND filters are used to ensure that the shutter speed is no shorter than 2x frames. Those. at 24 frames per second the shutter speed should be approximately 1/50
Read about using ND filters, there is a lot of material on the Internet.

Thank you for reply and tip to use ND filter. I had a chance to test it yesterday with ND but still this issue persist even tested to use internal storage (to avoid memory card defect), drone & RC2 software reflashed, restored factory and camera settings etc.
This issue is very much visible in VLC player as it hurts my eyes and which is very strange and on my S24Ultra as well. The best result is to play in embeded widnows player.
Anyway also had a chance to test same low FPS 24 - 30 with my Mavic 3 and result is completely different as completely sold result without any strobes. I know that both camera's are completely different but I was negatively surprised by Mini 4 Pro as never faced this issue before...
7-10 01:50
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 7221378 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Iczeman Posted at 7-10 01:50
Thank you for reply and tip to use ND filter. I had a chance to test it yesterday with ND but still this issue persist even tested to use internal storage (to avoid memory card defect), drone & RC2 software reflashed, restored factory and camera settings etc.
This issue is very much visible in VLC player as it hurts my eyes and which is very strange and on my S24Ultra as well. The best result is to play in embeded widnows player.
Anyway also had a chance to test same low FPS 24 - 30 with my Mavic 3 and result is completely different as completely sold result without any strobes. I know that both camera's are completely different but I was negatively surprised by Mini 4 Pro as never faced this issue before...

Once again, this is not a camera problem, this is a problem with the player you are using and a strobe problem.
Shoot 60 frames per second, then you can do it without an ND filter.
7-10 03:21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2680390 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Have you checked with new props?
7-10 11:47
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

Montfrooij Posted at 7-10 11:47
Have you checked with new props?

That's probably the only thing I didn't checked or replaced :-) as originally assembled looks great and are in top condition and flight is stable.
7-11 10:57
Use props
Jan Spacil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115272 ft

Czechia

I don't think the props cause the 'choppy video' issue, here's a slightly different root cause:
Generally speaking, video smoothness is determined by FPS and other factors. One of the main factors is so-called motion blur, where the movement between frames is blurred, which can be achieved, for example, by using the camera's shutter speed.

Generally speaking, the often-mentioned relationship between FPS and shutter speed is called the 180° rule. There is no need to describe them in detail here, there are many articles and videos on the web on this topic. For the so-called cine look, it is recommended to use a relatively low FPS, usually 24FPS for historical reasons. And according to the 180° rule, the shutter speed should be 1/48s, in our case, it was set to 1/50s. If the shutter is this 'slow', there will be a slight blur of what is being captured on the frame during the exposure of one frame.

As a result, although only 24FPS may seem too little for a smooth video, together with motion blur, the image is perceived naturally, the way our eyes work.
Therefore, even if 60FPS is used for the video, but the shutter speed is too high, the video may be perceived as choppy.

The shutter speed is also associated with another problem, it affects the video's exposure. Simply put, the shorter the shutter speed, the less light passes through the camera's optics to the sensor, making the "image darker." And in automatic mode, shutter speed is often the parameter that corrects exposure in the video. The camera's optical aperture is fixed, and if there is a lot of ambient light during filming, it is no longer possible to lower the sensitivity (ISO), but the amount of light needs to be corrected somehow. And that something is precisely the shutter speed.

So what does this mean? If, for example, when filming on a sunny day, we want to follow the 180° rule and at the same time use only 24FPS / 1/48s (or perhaps 60FPS and 1/120s shutter speed), the amount of light needs to be limited somehow. And this is one of the main reasons why ND filters are used. Either with a fixed light limitation value (stops, which are the numbers on ND filters), or so-called VND filters are used, where the degree of darkening can be adjusted smoothly (most often using polarization, simply two polarizing filters against each other).
7-11 21:45
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2680390 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Iczeman Posted at 7-11 10:57
That's probably the only thing I didn't checked or replaced :-) as originally assembled looks great and are in top condition and flight is stable.

I see 2 things in your video.
One is called 'jitter' and is related to the shutterspeed and the framerate.
It has been discussed in this thread, but I don't think it is what you are noticing the most because you are flying quite slow and far away from your subject.

The thing that is most distracting (to me) is a sort of 'wave' in the top part of your footage which usually indicates the gimbal is shaking in a rhythm. This is usually caused by one of the props being slightly deformed, creating a constant shake which translates to the gimbal.

So I personally would not focus too much on the motion blur, but more on this wavey pattern you are getting.
7-11 23:10
Use props
PintorMX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386929 ft
Mexico

Iczeman Posted at 7-10 01:50
This issue is very much visible in VLC player as it hurts my eyes and which is very strange and on my S24Ultra as well. The best result is to play in embeded widnows player.

The only other thing I can think of is are you viewing/editing in and exporting from a video timeline that does not match the frame rate of the video? That is, editing a 24 fps clip in a 30 fps timeline.
8-6 10:29
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

PintorMX Posted at 8-6 10:29
The only other thing I can think of is are you viewing/editing in and exporting from a video timeline that does not match the frame rate of the video? That is, editing a 24 fps clip in a 30 fps timeline.

Thank you for reply but it's not edited at all, just downloaded and uploaded as recorded. Currently using 60 fps and it's working fine and didn't tested again with lower fps...
8-6 22:45
Use props
Jose Willyce
New

Brazil

Uma dúvida eu consigo enviar imagem em tempo real do meu controle RC2 com tela,  para transmissão via cabo?
8-8 09:37
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Such strong turns at 24 fps lead to jerking, you can't shoot like that. It's just an operator error.
But the "jelly" effect on the video is a technical problem with the drone.
8-8 09:58
Use props
ErrkaPetti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 130531 ft
Sweden

FabioV Posted at 7-8 11:27
I usually shot videos at 30 fps in 4K HDR HLG and I find them amazing. But, maybe, it's only matter of expectations.Here following some examples.
https://youtu.be/Y1ofAxtJfOU?si=0aAoMJA4GUmiE4-p
https://youtu.be/0xeIkXzIPWA?si=IL-0jhEqbMv0Prnn

Great shots!!!
Question - is it you that’s made this great shots!
Question 2 - are they shot with Dji Mini 4 Pro?

I always shot in 4K/60, but that’sperhaps a little overkill? The Mini 4 Pro generate huge filesizes!
8-9 04:41
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1835469 ft
Croatia

ErrkaPetti Posted at 8-9 04:41
Great shots!!!
Question - is it you that’s made this great shots!
Question 2 - are they shot with Dji Mini 4 Pro?

Answers:
Yes
Yes
After post processing, I usually save the final output at 40.000 bps for Youtube and 25.000 bps for my home usage.
For taking panoramic shots at low speed like the mines, 30 fps are enough.
8-9 23:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules