Took some great shots.
1568 11 2014-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesjeley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello all!

First proper flight today. Great fun and had my first lost connection by going too far. Lucky I read the manual.

I had a hard landing and the drone fell forward onto think grass and became a lawn mower for a few seconds.

What kind of damage can be done?

Thanks

James
2014-12-13
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Lets have a look at your shots

As for damage, you could break a prop or two, it it wobbs over make sure you CSC or left stick fully down to turn the motors off as quick as you can.
2014-12-13
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I am one flight ahead of you and as one newbie to another, i would say invest in some prop guards!
2014-12-13
Use props
shep941
lvl.2

United States

I would recommend looking into Vortex Ring State before installing prop guards. Replacement props are cheap enough.... replacement phantom is expensive.

2014-12-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

shep941@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-14 00:21
I would recommend looking into Vortex Ring State before installing prop guards. Replacement props ar ...

Anyone can get into the vortex with or without prop guards.  
2014-12-13
Use props
jamesjeley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

All props are fine! Just a bit green HA! Just worried about the motors but I did a quick spin up and everything seems fine.

How rude I didn't post pictures...
2014-12-13
Use props
jamesjeley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

They are on my OneDrive
http://1drv.ms/1wnGr5P
2014-12-13
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

I would be very careful flying it out of range. I literally just had mine go out of range today and it never returned home. I lost video signal and never got it back. Before today I have used the return home function almost every flight....dozens of times. Had 74% battery left when I turned off the controller so who knows what happened. Just a word of caution.
2014-12-13
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

shep941@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-14 00:21
I would recommend looking into Vortex Ring State before installing prop guards. Replacement props ar ...

Opinions opinions! I speak from experience and know that Vortex ring with or without guards can happen on any vertical descent if coming down fast.  My experience with guards is good and they are staying on!! Just land sensibly with some lateral movement when coming down- all will be good.  Prop guards will save your props if you have a tip over on landing. They will also stop the dreaded motor/esc  burn out that can happen on a tip over with the blades running. (plenty of reports of that happening on this forum!!)
They will protect any person from a more serious injury should you get a fly away, rather than hitting them with a food processor..  They will allow your drone to bounce off vertical object ( buildings, posts , sign poles, flag poles, fences , walls, scaffolding etc.)  They will minimize entanglement with trees, bushes etc.  These are huge benefits when set against the possibility of a vortex ring that you have caused because you are flying incorrectly. Just my experienced opinion folks.
2014-12-13
Use props
Numpty clive
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I always catch land it now after I had one bad landing. only broke 1 prop but now im more cafeful
2015-5-10
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

rod@voxvideopro Posted at 2014-12-14 04:02
Opinions opinions! I speak from experience and know that Vortex ring with or without guards can ha ...

What Rod said was well said.
2015-5-10
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Since you were in the grass it's a good idea to check your motors. Do it with the props off. Start them up and see if they start and stop an t same time. Then re evaluate up for a couple of minutes shut them down and quickly feal each motor for heat. Then spin each motor and see if they all feal like the same resistance. This is a touchy fealty thing but can tell you of possible problems. Grass grabbing a motor can overheat it and even cause it to get so hot  it can melt the plastic foundation. Also can burn out an ESC if they are trying to run and are physically stop when they should be free. This is even good for maintenance checks when flying for a while. Burned out bearing in a motor or an ESC blowing..... Bird drops like a rock!!
2015-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules