Screen very dark on iPad
2462 17 2015-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edlovrien.msn
lvl.2
United States

We were flying under mostly cloudy skies today and you couldn't see the screen for anything.   Any ideas on this?  You could turn the camera up but then everything is so over exposed its worthless.  

What are you using for screens and how do you see it well on cloudy days.

2015-9-18
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

you clearly have the wrong setup on your iPad or you messed up with manual settings in your camera
2015-9-18
Use props
edlovrien.msn
lvl.2
United States

Well, whats the setup?  I have the iPad as bright as it can go and I tried just about every setting in the camera.    Thats why I asked.   Friend had the same issue on his Phantom 3.    Could see it a lot better in the sunny sky the other day.

2015-9-18
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

You do have auto brightness turned off, correct? You can adjust all the way up when auto brightness is turned on and it can reset to some other level. Make sure it is turned off. Sorry if I am stating the obvious, just trying to help.

2015-9-18
Use props
edlovrien.msn
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, yes it is off.  It was cloudy, it has always been good, but on this day, both the phantom and the inspire were very difficult to see unless you set it to over expose the shot very bad.  It was really odd.  Not flyable.  

Looking at other options.  Just thought someone might have a trick for those days.  Bright sun was good, overcast and fairly bright was not useable.
2015-9-19
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

did you leave the darker tinted lenscover on instead of the clear one?
2015-9-19
Use props
edlovrien.msn
lvl.2
United States

No, the clear lens was on.  I put the darker one on and it helped the situation a little, but not much.  Will try today, its sunny, should be better.   Found a Hoodi that may do the trick.

2015-9-20
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am using the iPad mini 2 and it is difficult to see on bright days. Also, I use a hoodie shade cover and this helps a lot, but not perfect. Some of the iPads are not as good as others and the newer retina display is the best.

I try and find some shade to stand in while flying...

Rich
2015-9-20
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

its dark everywhere - its the fault of the software which does not have a gamma adjust

the tablets could show if much brighter but as you dont want to set it to +2 EV you need the software to allow gamma adjust

i said this often but of course no one hears and regularly coming postings like this
2015-9-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Did this happen only once, or does it happen all the time?

I have never had a problem seeing my iPad. I use a sun shade.
2015-9-20
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-20 22:39
Did this happen only once, or does it happen all the time?

I have never had a problem seeing my iP ...

As earlier postedI've been searching a while for a sunlight readable tablet since my Ipad mini 2 is suffering for that, it is about 350 nits brightness. Adding a hood makes also not the difference.   Now I have found a 7inch android tablet from Cube the CubeT7, Android 4.4.4. with a new screen from JDI and will go to 1.000 nits so I expect that will do the job.
My question is will it work with the android pilot app.
The display is a result of a joint venture by Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi. This display is now released last year and Cube saw a good opportunity to put this display in a new tablet the T7. It is capable to produce 1000 nits, which is 2 times higher than displays of Samsung tablets.

http://edmfanatik.blog.siol.net/ ... e-t7-tablet-review/

2015-9-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

enkhome Posted at 2015-9-20 14:01
As earlier postedI've been searching a while for a sunlight readable tablet since my Ipad mini 2 is ...

Wow that is bright. I do not know if it will work with Android pilot app. It is not yet listed as a supported device.
2015-9-20
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-20 23:56
Wow that is bright. I do not know if it will work with Android pilot app. It is not yet listed as  ...

Hi Dave,
I know, may be you will attend DJI on this screen and they can check this. It would be amazing if this works, also for safety reasons since you have immediately clear visual control on the screen.

2015-9-21
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

enkhome Posted at 2015-9-21 01:51
Hi Dave,
I know, may be you will attend DJI on this screen and they can check this. It would be am ...

I was thinking the same thing. I will bring it up at my next team meeting.
2015-9-21
Use props
edlovrien.msn
lvl.2
United States

It happened on a cloudy day.   Today was sunny, was good but I had to stand in the shade, hood isn't here yet.   If I turn the exposure up I could see but had a ton of zebra stripes showing over exposure.  I would turn it down to shoot pictures and then up to see where I was going.   Maybe I am worried too much about over exposure and darkening it up too much.
2015-9-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I always use a sun shade and try to stand in the shade.
2015-9-24
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

Also pan your camera down to the grown or at an angel see if that changes anything. My paid is dark too but I fly late in the afternoon and I have to pan the camera down toward
the ground and I can see just fine then.
2015-9-24
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Touch in the middle of ipad screen, the camera will adjust the brightness so you can see better
2015-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules