Gimbal motor overload, please help
4927 15 2015-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

Looking for help,  went for a fly today and got an error saying gimbal motor overload,  I tried restarting and removing the gimbal and sometimes it would fix itself but shortly after it would give the error again.  I also noticed when the error was present the gimbal shook and jiggled.   Anyone have a solution other than sending it off?  Thanks in advance

2015-9-19
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I'm guessing there was nothing visably obstructing the gimbal?    I've had this on my P3 when I forget to take the travel guard off but never in normal flight.
2015-9-19
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

Ive inspected the gimbal pretty good and can't see anything out of the ordinary.
2015-9-20
Use props
derekoneill99
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

I also got this message yesterday, anybody got any idea?
2015-9-20
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Remove the gimbal and check all the connectors on the mounting board are clean. Sometimes it could be possible if you remove the gimbal frequently it has become dirty.

1). I use and number 2 pencil eraser to clean off the connects. Then wipe off with isopropyl alcohol.
2). The two philips screws holding the connector board to the mount can be loosened maybe a 1/4 turn. This will put a little more pressure between the camera and mount. Hopefully this is just a contact issue and nothing else.

In computer connections you can enhance the connectivity using some contact lube. See link below, but use this very sparingly!!  DeoxIT Gold

http://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-Gol ... ywords=contact+lube
Rich
2015-9-20
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

Good information. I also noticed that when removing the plastic
Cap covering the gimbal, sometimes bends the little connectors.
This is caused because there are two plastic pins located on the
Protective cap. If you turn the cap after loosening the gimbal
To let go of it they will hit and bend the little brass pins. So when
You remove the cap, make sure you do not turn it. Loosen the
Gimbal that holds it in place and drop it straight down. Don't turn it.
2015-9-20
Use props
lyriconii.gmail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296690 ft
United States

Looks like it's right in the grass. If this was at power up it might have tried to calibrate and got stopped by the weeds there.  Does it get the error when not in the grass? Just had to ask due to what shows in the camera view.
2015-9-20
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

Maybe recalibrate ?
2015-9-20
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

lyriconii.gmail Posted at 2015-9-20 13:53
Looks like it's right in the grass. If this was at power up it might have tried to calibrate and got ...

Yeah,  that was just when i set it down to take the screen shot,  I had powered it up on a table with nothing obstructing the gimbal.  I took it out today just to see if the problem persisted and this time I didn't get any errors,  so i'm wondering if it wasn't just a dirty connection.  I will also try the cleaning with the isopropyl as well.  hopefully it doesn't come back.    thanks for the help everyone.
2015-9-20
Use props
wlnolan
lvl.1
Canada

I had a similar issue with the Gimbal motor overload error. It happened intermittently at first but got progressively worse. Finally as soon as I power on the Inspire the Gimbal would vibrate and twist around until the motors got hot and then it would stop at a twisted angle. First I sent the camera and gimbal off to be repaired but it was not the problem so now the complete machine is gone off for servicing.

Larry
2015-10-21
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

This happened a lot with the P3.
It seems like DJI set the warning too sensitive, so we were all getting the gimbal overload message most flights, especially flying onto wind.
DJI said to ignore the warning, and it was ultimately cured by a firmware update which lowered the sensitivity.
2015-10-21
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

liningiv Posted at 2015-10-21 09:09
This happened a lot with the P3.
It seems like DJI set the warning too sensitive, so we were all get ...

I'd love to ignore the warning, however when the error comes on the gimbal wont balance and my footage is all messed up....
2015-10-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

In looking at your screen shot I have had the same issue. The tall grass is enough to cause this warning. I have had it happen with my P3Pro in tall grass. The Gimbal is very sensitive due to the nature of it's intended use which is a perfectly balanced camera. Try it with no obstructions such as on a flat level surface. Pavement, Cardboard box, piece of Plywood, etc. and see what happens? If you get the same error message on the above, send it in for repair. Hopefully you won't have to go that route.
2015-10-21
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-21 07:47
>  I will also try the cleaning with the isopropyl as well.  hopefully it doesn't come back.

Ar ...

I wish I could say so, but unfortunately I will be sending it in for repairs.
2015-10-21
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

rodger Posted at 2015-10-21 19:45
In looking at your screen shot I have had the same issue. The tall grass is enough to cause this war ...

If you read in previous comments, you will see that I already addressed that the grass is not the issue, I only set it in the grass to take the screenshot of the error message.  Looks like I will be sending it in, as I have carefully inspected the bird for any foriegn objects and blew air through it to take care of the dust.  Problem is not fixed.  Im just hoping it will still be under warranty.
2015-10-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

choptlivah Posted at 2015-10-22 00:27
If you read in previous comments, you will see that I already addressed that the grass is not the  ...

Missed that I guess. An overload is usually triggered by an excessive amount of current draw. You may have a component that is not up to spec. I would send it in before it causes more problems. Hopefully it falls under warranty.
Good luck
2015-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules