Any overheating issues yet on Action 5 Pro?
738 21 9-19 11:42
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FwB
lvl.2
United States

Now that we are past all the paid reviews.  Has anyone had any overheating issues with this new Action 5 Pro?  It is a worry I have because of the upgraded sensor.  More megapixels the more computational power needed which creates heat.  I film in hot enviroments in the summertime and the Action 4 has never had an issue outside of a warning about the screen being to hot.  The lowlight capbilities alone are making me want to upgrade to the Action 5 Pro.  Just not enough to make me buy it if it has overheating issues.
9-19 11:42
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

watched Jason vogns vid he answered your question

9-19 11:49
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

9-19 23:08
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

9-21 02:56
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi FwB,

Thank you for reaching out. With its compact and portable design, Osmo Action 5 Pro inevitably dissipates heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period of time, which is an irresistible physical law. The camera was designed with special attention to the heat dissipation issue. To ensure the normal performance of the camera, the internal heat is designed to be conducted to the lens cover, front and rear screens, and body itself through heat sinks and silicone grease. Additionally, strict tests have been made to ensure that the camera temperature is within a reasonable range during long-term recording.

It is mainly focuses on sports scenarios such as skiing, diving, and cycling, where wind can assist the camera in heat dissipation when recording videos with a high resolution or frame rate, which, thereby, makes it possible to record longer videos. If you mainly use it to record your daily life or activities, we recommend you record at 1080p@30fps, as 1080p@30fps is currently the mainstream video format online, and it can also reduce your storage space and facilitate your editing afterwards.

I hope this information has helped to clarify your inquiries. If you have any other questions, kindly let us know. Thank You!
9-22 03:51
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

All these initial tests are really concerning.  I have cooked my Action 4, and while I do get the "screen hot" warning, it never shuts off.  I am recording 4k 30fps in Pre-Rec mode constantly, sometimes in direct sunlight on a hot day (90 degrees), and it only shuts down due to battery drain.  Most of the time I see 10% battery and simply swap out the battery.  I have fried multiple GoPro's doing this and my one Action 4 that is a year old now keeps on going.  From what I have found on the internet the Action 4 has a 11 megapixel sensor which is easily the reason it can handle this abuse.  Less processing is needed while in video mode.  Sony learned this early in life and made the majority of their filming cameras with low megapixels.  You need higher megapixels for photography.  Since the Action is a "camera" I would have hoped DJI would have not chased the megapixel carrot.  More megapixels means more processing power needed which means more possible heating.  All these current overheating tests are from YouTube influencers that have some contact with DJI.  So I am still not convinced it will be better than my current Action 4.
9-22 19:38
Use props
djiuser_jQpp8qFfCc0b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi Yes, I've just go it last Friday, and i've testing it since Saturday, got it overheating after just 30 minutes of recording. Tried different format but still getting overheating. not what i l wanted
9-22 23:50
Use props
Tiago Amieiro
lvl.1

Portugal

Hi, first time recording with DJI Action 5 Pro, and after 1h (2 times 30 minutes video with interval) recording inside at 1080p  (Volleyball game) with 20 degrees (not hot) received overheat message and stop recording, when I was starting the 3rd set (video).
Is this normal? Does it happens with action 4 as well?
PS: and battery last for little over 2 hours recording.
9-28 01:14
Use props
IgOrdure
lvl.4
Flight distance : 679600 ft
Belgium

40 minutes non stop, nothing
9-28 05:51
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I heard DJI took steps to prevent such measures, that 4K high frame for example which may bring  the camera to work and struggle, they limited the record time. either the camera will warn and continue to record in other settings to shutting down, and good thing is, it saved the file correct?  so yes the New chip will prevent damage to  their camera

IMHO

DJI will chime in with the developers FAQ on it
9-28 05:54
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 342428 ft
Poland

It DOES overheat regularly in webcam mode. So, if you're planning to use it for that purpose, it might not be the best idea. When it overheats in this mode, it continues to work, but disables both screens. Also it becomes really hot, so I would worry about the impact on the battery. I tried to remove the battery as the camera is powered by the USB anyway, but it doesn't seem to work this way at all.
10-4 00:34
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 342428 ft
Poland

duplicated post. Please remove.
10-4 00:34
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

Mikolaj Posted at 10-4 00:34
It DOES overheat regularly in webcam mode. So, if you're planning to use it for that purpose, it might not be the best idea. When it overheats in this mode, it continues to work, but disables both screens. Also it becomes really hot, so I would worry about the impact on the battery. I tried to remove the battery as the camera is powered by the USB anyway, but it doesn't seem to work this way at all.

Even my 4 overheating does the same.  But it still records.  It takes direct sunlight in 90 degree weather for over 30 minutes to happen.  I can continue to record forever, as long as I am changing out batteries.  I never tried plugged in.  If the 5 is doing something similar than its good.  I just worry that DJI's want to do the "megapixel race" is going to cause problems.  You can't beat the law of thermodynamics.
10-4 20:31
Use props
FfoSuy
lvl.4

Singapore

It seems the Action 5 is doing better than the 4 in terms of overheating, but I'm not sure if the 5's lower bitrate (in other forum discussions) is a contributing factor.
10-4 23:12
Use props
Hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12400594 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_jQpp8qFfCc0b Posted at 9-22 23:50
Hi Yes, I've just go it last Friday, and i've testing it since Saturday, got it overheating after just 30 minutes of recording. Tried different format but still getting overheating. not what i l wanted

Where you videoing the chicken the oven in 4k ? I have tested all and cannot get this to overheat, maybe yours is broke.
yesterday 01:48
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I normally toss mine in the BBQ,  I leave the camera on for an hour,   hit record   and stop,   is it a hand warmer, No.
yesterday 02:59
Use props
peloncr
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Today I recorded a couple of hours at 34C-37C ambient, the camera was just warm when changing the battery. I think as long you keep some airflow going, it will be fine. Settings used: 4K60, color normal 10 bit.

yesterday 18:49
Use props
bertrandh
lvl.2

Netherlands

Fishycomics Posted at 9-19 11:49
watched Jason vogns vid he answered your question

[view_image]

Interesting screenshot. Thank you. Would it be possible to have a link to the original video please?

I think I found it.

yesterday 22:56
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here it is. Bear in mind that it's a sponsored video....

yesterday 23:14
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

bertrandh Posted at 10-5 22:56
Interesting screenshot. Thank you. Would it be possible to have a link to the original video please?

I think I found it.

Average user shoots 4K60fps  non-stop Wrong. they simply grab a shot  if a minute and camera works fine,  test on its way on the list
1 hour ago
Use props
bertrandh
lvl.2

Netherlands

Fishycomics Posted at 10-6 02:58
Average user shoots 4K60fps  non-stop Wrong. they simply grab a shot  if a minute and camera works fine,  test on its way on the list

I would challenge that. There are videos of people cycling or walking through a city. Filming can be continuous and sometimes long. Overheating can be a limitation.
49 mins ago
Use props
Hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12400594 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

bertrandh Posted at 10-6 03:43
I would challenge that. There are videos of people cycling or walking through a city. Filming can be continuous and sometimes long. Overheating can be a limitation.

Overheating on all small action cameras can be a problem. But there is no better small action camera than the A5 for coping with heat. In my use of it so far 90% 60fps/120fps I have found its the battery that will end first . If you want to stick this out in the midday sun @30 + degrees or inside for hours with lots of heat and little draft @60fps 4k  then you’re fooling yourself that a camera this size will be right for that . Like all action cameras its a great tool for some great jobs but its not a tool for every job IMO.
28 mins ago
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules