The real maximum distance
4359 34 2014-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
powerhs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1195696 ft
United States

What is the real maximum distance between the transmitter and the inspire 1 both full control and video?
What should someone expect in the real world use?
2014-12-14
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

It depends on what constitutes your "real world". Do you live in an isolated, rural area with an unobstructed view? You can figure on around a mile. If, like me, you live in an urban setting with lots of trees, obstruction, aircraft, and radiation interference....well, less than a mile. And weather conditions are a factor also. That being said, I have seen results of various tests that indicate that the Lightbridge signal is as good as one can expect with prosumer, legal equipment. Personally, I plan to fly LOS exclusively, so I expect the signal to be great all the time.
2014-12-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been out 1.9km or over a mile.  This was at 68m high during the flight.  It was in a semi-rural area without a lot of interference.  
2014-12-14
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-15 01:05
I have been out 1.9km or over a mile.  This was at 68m high during the flight.  It was in a semi-rur ...

Thank you. Around one mile I think it's pretty good.
2014-12-14
Use props
raflores1
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-15 01:05
I have been out 1.9km or over a mile.  This was at 68m high during the flight.  It was in a semi-rur ...

So one mile is not LOS. Meaning i rural area it is possible to fly this thing quite far that is good to know.
2014-12-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

raflores1 Posted at 2014-12-16 23:11
So one mile is not LOS. Meaning i rural area it is possible to fly this thing quite far that is go ...

Easily.  I have not yet explored the limits of this unit.  I want to take it out and connect my Ninja Blade to record the entire flight out with telemetry.  
2014-12-16
Use props
raflores1
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-17 01:05
Easily.  I have not yet explored the limits of this unit.  I want to take it out and connect my Ni ...

So where do you connect to ? The ports from the remote?  
2014-12-16
Use props
thomaskim558
lvl.3
Flight distance : 865177 ft
South Korea

It's about 1.7km and go up to 2km
2014-12-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

raflores1 Posted at 2014-12-17 11:26
So where do you connect to ? The ports from the remote?

You connect to the USB port on the TX to your device, either iOS or Android for your video.  You can also connect a HDMI monitor as well.  All these ports are available on the back of the Inspire Tx.
2014-12-16
Use props
raflores1
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

got it, What I meant is if you can record on the Atomos at the same time that you connect the Ipad while flying or is it either or?
2014-12-17
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

Okay after a few flights the furthest I could get without losing connection is 1500 feet that's 0.47 km. That's a far cry from 2 km. Extremely disappointed here's a photo of my area. (iPads set to airplane mode)

2015-1-9
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

I had a similar experience today. I flew it about this same distance out and the thing lost GPS! Freaked me out. Had a hard time distinguishing which was was front or back because it was so small in the sky. Luckily I got it pointed the right way and pushed it back and landed it manually. But now I'm sticking to no more than about 100 feet away just in case (for now). Also  completely lost the video signal. It froze up. I was running on a Galaxy Nexus 7 (more recent model post 2013). That might have something to do with the video (at least I hope). But it doesn't explain the sudden failure of GPS! (GPS status on the screen went red and said "No GPS" when it clearly had it before and was "Safe to fly" and green).

I have a new Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 coming today. I'll fly with that and see how it goes.
Let me know if you have any idea what the hell was up with my GPS. That was scary as shit! If I'm correct, you CANNOT "return to home" without it, right???
2015-1-9
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi rwt0227,
Was there any tall building nearby while you lost the GPS? if this happens again, please contact our service center for a check up.

Please look for the LED under the motor for the craft orientation, green is the tail, and red is the head. Or you flew to a distance too far to identify the LED?
2015-1-9
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

rwt0227 Posted at 2015-1-10 04:46
I had a similar experience today. I flew it about this same distance out and the thing lost GPS! Fre ...

That would freak me out.  Please keep us updated on how things turn out.
2015-1-9
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

rwt0227 Posted at 2015-1-10 04:46
I had a similar experience today. I flew it about this same distance out and the thing lost GPS! Fre ...

I dont get it, why you had a hard time ? Dont you had the video Feed? You only said löst gps. Is there a CE/FCC Mode as well? If ist really max. 470m  than ist would be poor. The Vision can fly further than that
2015-1-9
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Solar activity has been very active over the past few days. That might explain the gps experience.

Your range is very strange. I haven't pushed mine but have done many 1.5km runs without issue. Whats your transmission quality set to?
2015-1-9
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also, use the app to scan the channels to make sure you are on the channel with least interference.
2015-1-9
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309626 ft
  • >>>
United States

I didn't lose gps, control or video but I got transmission earnings after only 500m in a semi rural area. I had it in auto which is mostly loaded where I am with red bars. I will try a manual channel tomorrow. I get 1400+ m out of the AVL58 and P2 in same spot.
2015-1-9
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If its loaded with red bars then those channels are "dirty" at that location. So you have something going on in that "rural" area. Try sliding the channel list to the left to see how the upper channel range looks.
2015-1-9
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

This is exactly why I believe there shouldn't be a "quick start" guide included. I'm not taking mine more than 30 meters away from me until I've all but memorized the manual. And yes, I had it out too far to see the red/green lights. It was early day light (08:45 hrs.)

To clarify for "Daninho," yes, I LOST THE VIDEO feed too. It froze up. I think that has more to do with the tablet I was using though (2013 model Nexus 7). I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 I'll be using now. Haven't had the chance to try it out with that one yet. Probably tomorrow. I'm a a stay-at-home-dad so getting time to fly and concentrate properly on the Inspire doesn't come along easily.
2015-1-9
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-10 08:35
If its loaded with red bars then those channels are "dirty" at that location. So you have something  ...

I was worried about going into manual channel selection mode, thinking it would't frequency hop or something. I'll try it out.. thanks!
2015-1-10
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

Okay, finally got some time to change locations. I made it 120 meters out without problems. Signal looked ok for HD & TX the whole way. Unfortunately I was so excited it was now working better that I forgot to press "record!"
2015-1-12
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

DJI-JS Posted at 2015-1-10 08:06
Also, use the app to scan the channels to make sure you are on the channel with least interference.

@Ed or anyone that might know as well. Well I've had my inspire for about a week now and I've seen in the app where you can be in Auto or Custom. So how does one do a scan for the best channel? Thanks

Mike
2015-1-12
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-10 08:35
If its loaded with red bars then those channels are "dirty" at that location. So you have something  ...

Its tips like these that help so much ty  B/S
2015-1-13
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

mhaislet@yahoo. Posted at 2015-1-13 17:41
Its tips like these that help so much ty  B/S

I ended up getting a 900+M flight in another spot. Oddly, the signal meters looked similar in that location. But there's a lot of close-in wifi around where I was taking flight before. There was little of that where I took off next.

Purely anecdotally, it seems the I1 is much more sensitive to Wifi at 2.4 than the P2 was. Plus the P2 has its analog video out at 5.8Ghz, which while it won't go quite as far, is a relatively clean band to operate in (for now).

The net result is the I1 has less range than the P2 in "dirtier" 2.4 Ghz environments, but it will likely go further in clean ones.

I'd say so far (I need to test more), given a clean location, 1-1.5 Km is the maximum I'd expect in a similar environment [Better Blade?] 500 is the norm in RF loaded spaces. And in the city, I'd be afraid to fly 10 feet. lol

I am keeping the P2 if I really need to get out there, or have to fly in a risky spot where I cannot risk losing video and control at the same time. The image quality is as good if not better with the GoPro Hero 4.  But the I1 is much better in the air, handling wise. Well, except for that crazy yaw issue...
2015-1-13
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Anticipate,

Did you play with transmission settings? For you to say 1.15 would be the max is another rumor. I have been using this technology for a year now. I have been out 2.7km with lightbridge , 1.5km with the inspire and still had full bar. We have other testers that have pushed past 2.5+.

Please, these post are getting a little old.. Please post on your experience but PLEASE don't say anything like this is what one would expect to get. Just a day ago you were saying that the max was 500m?!

You have tons of issue's that you normally work through with the helps of others. Until you get more experience with these higher end technologies,  I would sit back a learn.
2015-1-13
Use props
Paras
lvl.2

Spain

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-13 23:01
Anticipate,

Did you play with transmission settings? For you to say 1.15 would be the max is anoth ...

This guy at rc stock reaches 2100m with low HD signal and high control signal

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... &postcount=8698

2015-1-13
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is how the system was designed. You want to lose control link before video.
2015-1-13
Use props
Paras
lvl.2

Spain

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-14 07:39
This is how the system was designed. You want to lose control link before video.

its exactly the opposite in the picture...

high control signal, low video signal...
2015-1-13
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-13 23:01
Anticipate,

Did you play with transmission settings? For you to say 1.15 would be the max is anoth ...

Blade it's not a rumor. Of course I have tried all the transmission settings, which DJI China, not you I might add, admitted were buggy and need to be fixed. (2mbit is actually 10). I'm saying that MY max was likely that given where I fly and my experiences which is a clear LOS to the aircraft, unobstructed. I'm sorry that wasn't clear in my post, and have since edited it to clarify. That said, I find your responses to me frequently insulting and quite unprofessional. You're accusatory, demeaning, and pedantic. You do NOT treat customers like the way you have treated me. What's wrong with you? Customers like us help get you money. Please try to show the same respect to your customers as we show you. Thank you.

This is a niche forum. It's not a broadcast to the world or journalism. I've been very clear these are my experiences alone, which are based on fact, and conclusions brought from those. MY experiences, not yours. It's also not a full comprehensive review; that's coming.

I'm trying to get another inspire from Marketing for the review I'm writing to compare. I'm on a deadline though, so I may have to run with what I have. I'm getting a replacement from LA when I send mine in, but aside from the camera I don't think the issue is with the drone. It's just the technology is more sensitive. You and Ed get long distances because you're in the middle of nowhere.

My review, which will be seen on a major website utilized by news professionals all over the world will mention my own experiences. I will also mention the  reponses from my dealer and DJI LA (which have been outstanding).

2015-1-13
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry if correcting you is insulting. You made it clear in the post above that this is what users should expect, just because you experienced it. You just now corrected what you said and have done the same in the past.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with you sharing YOUR experience, but to make the comment like you did before editing is not right. And should be corrected, if not by me, someone else.

I will no longer reply to your post, I do not want you thinking I'm insulting you. I wish you the very best.
2015-1-13
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-14 10:30
I'm sorry if correcting you is insulting. You made it clear in the post above that this is what user ...

It was a clarification in my statement based on my experiences.. Not a correction. For many in a similar situation it may in fact be true. It was my informed opinion based on my own experiences as well as many reports from other owners.
The way you have treated me is not unique to me. I've seen you question the experience level of many people including dealers (!). Its just not right. There's a way to handle customer concerns and attacking them in support forums with false accusations of lying is not right. I've proven my experiences with logs and videos. These aren't rumors. They are facts. And I have been more than fair in my assessments.

I've brought my concerns about this to DJI in China, and I'm happy you choose to not engage with me anymore if blaming the customer, and questioning their integrity is going to be the tact you will take.
2015-1-14
Use props
piotr.pawlowski
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Wow, the real distance flight

2015-2-24
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Wow, the real distance flight

Wow indeed!! 4.6km, wish I knew what he was saying!
2015-2-24
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have the opposite to others, my GPS drops out if I put the ipad into airline mode.

Bizarre.

Where do I find the channels please?
2015-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules