FAA Registration? - Check.
1389 11 2015-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ericrudd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133944 ft
United States

My office here at Indiana University just received our wing number for our Inspire 1 from the FAA last week. Very excited to complete this step in certification. We have submitted our paperwork for the COA/333 and hope to be fully compliant by early fall. Small steps. We are working diligently to bring a good name to drone operators everywhere. Have a great week!
2015-9-22
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

Congratulations.
2015-9-22
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

@ericrudd what was the cost to do this and do you have a link for the process?
2015-9-22
Use props
ericrudd
lvl.2
United States

ibdronin Posted at 2015-9-22 12:32
@ericrudd what was the cost to do this and do you have a link for the process?

You need to apply for a wing number for your drone. I believe the application process was around $5. A mere pittance. I didn't handle the paperwork, but you might look at this link...

http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/NN/reserve.aspx

You'll need to contact the FAA to start the paperwork for the 333 exemption.
2015-9-22
Use props
Skylinewg
lvl.2

United States

The whole section 333 is a joke let's be honest. So least see here make commercial entities jump through hoops while hobbyists are allowed to fly if they follow the rules? They say they are worried about safety then why not ban all Drone flights not related to emergency services? The FAA cannot truly ban commercial usage, it didn't hold up in court with the one guy who the FAA unsuccessfully tried to fine $10 Grand at the University of Virginia and it will not hold up again.

The whole NAtional Airspace ordeal is overblown as well, if there's a plane or helo flying lower than 400 feet in a semi-populated area then there's more of an issue going on than Joe Blow from Acme drones flying his quadcopter. The FAA is using scare tactics and using quasi-gestapo tactics like encouraging citizens, local police  and rival businesses to snitch on non section 333 holders.

It's ludicrous, makes you wonder if it's really the helicopter and fixedwing community putting pressure on the FAA to preserve their businesses because they had to invest  millions of dollars to do jobs that a guy with 5 Grand and a drone can do, often with  better results.

Again someone please answer this question. If it's about safety why can the hobbyists still fly without a tre tre tre? Also what constitutes commercial use? If you're a business and you are out practicing is that commercial? If you do a favor and take video of your buddies house and later he decides to pay you out of generosity is that commercial? If you do jobs for free is that commercial? If you take a video post it to YouTube and your channel is monetized yet haven't received money is that commercial? Who decides what is commercial? The local law enforcement guy that the FAA has empowered to be the drone gestapo that gets overzealous and confiscates your drone because he deemed you doing commercial activities when actually you're a hobbyist? This is very irresponsible and totally illogical of the FAA, and no, no got darned airliner is going to be downed from a drone. Fear mongering at its best.

Now you see why the NTSB threw out that FAA fine against that guy, their regulations for Drones has more holes than a Reno Brothel.

2015-9-22
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460522 ft
United States

How long did it take to get the "N" number? Is there anything I need to know to complete the form? I was holding off on applying till the new rules come out schedule for the end of this month. I already have the 333 so next step would be the "N" number.
Mike
2015-9-24
Use props
ericrudd
lvl.2
United States

msoto Posted at 2015-9-24 09:48
How long did it take to get the "N" number? Is there anything I need to know to complete the form? I ...

Took a bit over a month, if I recall. I didn't send in the form, so I don't know.
2015-9-25
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

ericrudd Posted at 2015-9-25 15:50
Took a bit over a month, if I recall. I didn't send in the form, so I don't know.

Did you have the Bill of Sale or did you have a document notarized? I purchased my P3P from DJI's website and they cannot supply me with a Bill of Sale. Just the invoice. Wonder if I can submit the invoice as proof?
2015-9-25
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

What good does it do to have the #s on the aircraft? Or it being registered? I am interested to know?
2015-9-25
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

ibdronin Posted at 2015-9-25 21:14
What good does it do to have the #s on the aircraft? Or it being registered? I am interested to know ...

If the craft is lost and it's found the FAA can notify the owner. The 333 requires the aircraft to have a N number and has to be registered.
2015-9-26
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

Is this due to using it as commercial use and not hobby? I'm not commercial and just using it on my land to check livestock and have fun.
2015-9-26
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

ibdronin Posted at 2015-9-26 10:34
Is this due to using it as commercial use and not hobby? I'm not commercial and just using it on my  ...

Yes, if you plan to use it for commercial you will need to register the craft and apply for the 333 exemption.
2015-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules