How often do you have to crash..
2627 25 2015-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
f7772
New

Canada

..your P3 before you become proficient in flying? According to your own experience...

2015-9-27
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Dont know. I have never crashed...yet. Close a couple times but got lucky.
I have a lot of flights on the bird.  
2015-9-27
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

3 crashes. all from me being goofy around the house. no crashes when im out being serious
2015-9-27
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

A couple of close calls like power lines and one other time had to flick into ati as it had a bad cal but over 100 flights and no crashes touch wood.
2015-9-27
Use props
canucobb
lvl.1

United States

Oh my goodness I have crashed all over the place for the first week I flew. Thank goodness this bird is a strong one.
2015-9-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

None so far. Knuckles are raw... ;-)

Keeping it up.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l've never crashed. l flew a bit close to a tree once while l was setting up a shot. lf l didn't have a spotter with me l'd have likely gone right into it.
2015-9-27
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

No crash, no close calls........yet.
2015-9-27
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

You should never crash... At least do to lack of experience.  What I mean is you should fly the hell out of a cheap quad copter and then move up to a phantom 3. Unless you have money to blow and want to put people or property at risk.  I have been flying all types of RC aircraft since the mid 80's and I did crash my P3 once, that was because the damn RTH kicked in before I could cancel it and it started to climb to the RTH altitude when it was under a tree and struck a tree branch then hit the ground.  I had a MC Data error after that and had to figure out how to fix that.  I posted a thread on what to do if the were to happen and the fix.  Here is the link http://forum.dji.com/thread-19612-1-1.html
-Dog
2015-9-27
Use props
JerEl
lvl.2

Poland

I crashed in the first 3 minutes of the first flight.  Took off and checked for stability with yaw turns then started a circle at low altitude (about 20') and decided to look down at the cell phone view but  because of the sun glare I couldn't see anything on the monitor...And ran right into a tree limb.  Luckily the tree was very 'leafy," the fall was broken numerous times before it hit the ground upside down.  I did manage to cut the motors before it hit the ground.  I just picked it up cleaned off the leaves and dirt and it flew perfectly.  Nothing broke so I was VERY lucky.

I have experience, 45+ years with RC, and many flights with the P2 so have no valid excuse other than advancing senility but I did re-learn the lesson of not taking your eyes off the copter until you are higher than nearby objects.
2015-9-27
Use props
clive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

Ah, it shows how important it is to look around and assess your flying area. Any fences, trees, people, houses etc that could cause me an issue.
2015-9-28
Use props
levreault
lvl.2
Flight distance : 489111 ft
United States

I've crashed twice in about 50 flights. Once i was trying to dive bomb the grass and flew a little too low. The other time I was flying thru a tunnel under a bridge, over a manmade creek. hit the side of the tunnel and my P3P ended up upside down under water. Took a week a multiple flights to regain my confidence. In both instance it was my cockiness that got the best of me.

If you go into flying your P3 expecting to crash, then you will crash
If you try to show off for other people, you will crash
If you don't know up from down and left from right, you will crash
If you think it would be cool to get a little bit closer to that tree, lake, car, building, you will crash

But in the end, if you start a venture expecting to fail, then you've already failed.

[Edit] Shaving this morning, thinking about my P3P and my tunnel crash and put two and two together. This was my problem; Its been a problem for many since the 1.4.010 update: While trying to fly thru a tunnel, my drone drifted left. And hit the wall.

2015-9-28
Use props
levreault
lvl.2
Flight distance : 489111 ft
United States

And to reply to your original question, you don't have to crash your P3 EVER to become proficient. So the question itself is invalid. JS
2015-9-28
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

no crashes. almost 100 flights
2015-9-28
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-27 22:56
None so far. Knuckles are raw... ;-)

Keeping it up.

You been walking on your knuckles again?  None so far with my P3P.  One close call climbing over a tree did not realize how fast the P3P is.  Three crashes with the P2. One was due to vortex ring of death. One was I got confused with the RC directions and went into tree. One with carbon fiber props, not sure what happened the p2 went on it's side and dove into the ground.
2015-9-28
Use props
RoyP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37808 ft
South Africa

canucobb Posted at 2015-9-28 04:35
Oh my goodness I have crashed all over the place for the first week I flew. Thank goodness this bird ...

some advice, get hold of one of the "nano" quads and play indoors until you get the hang of the controls, especially the reverse direction. They are virtually unbreakable and save a lot of nerves in the field. Also better than the virtual flight trainers.
2015-9-28
Use props
CrashTest Dummy
lvl.2

Canada

Only once!
Just kidding... I would however suggest resisting the urge to fly it indoors.
Tried it once...plastered it to the ceiling.
Wife not amussed.
dave
2015-9-28
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Never crashed, never even came close with about 100 flights now.
I am very conservative flyer. If you want to do aerobic I would suggest to buy a 50$ bird, not a $2k one.
Learn slowly and stay alive.
Bat
2015-9-28
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

50+ flights. Zero crashes.

Practice with simulators and cheap quads.
2015-9-28
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

buy a hubsan h4 and learn to fly it you should never crash I have flown collective helis and other types of high performance craft literally thousands of flights ,  last significant crash 7 years ago or so, you shouldnt even be worrying about it if you have prepared properly
2015-9-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

clkilljoy1 Posted at 2015-9-28 03:50
You been walking on your knuckles again?  None so far with my P3P.  One close call climbing over a ...

Just been knocking on Brazilian Hard Woods...

Too firm, and way more often than necessary, for superstitions sake.

Thanks for asking! ;-) It goes something like;
Knock knock! Who's there? Knuckles! Knuckles who?  Irish Knuckles..

RedHotPoker

2015-9-28
Use props
vicJ
lvl.3

United States

Magic number 69 flights here and all good. Hopefully no jinxes from here on out
2015-10-1
Use props
flyingviking
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151693 ft
Canada

No crashes in about 200 flights. Just follow a certain pre-flight check routine, don't exceed distance, set your RTH in a reasonable manner and follow recommendations on this board and you'll be fine.
2015-10-1
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

My first flights I was only practising to land and take off again. I did this maybe 20 times. Then a short flight, not too far, not too high. And doing a save landing. The feeling that you are able to land the copter under all circumstances gives confidence. So during the next weeks, my flights went further away and higher. I never crashed. Knock on wood.
2015-10-1
Use props
Madebyvadim
First Officer
Flight distance : 2023002 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Twice so far  in my case. Both because bird started acting wired and flyaway with full speed (I am not touching controls at all) Had to crash landed it twice. Still holding
2015-10-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I'm almost afraid to ask... how many times did you crash a car before you got proficient at driving?

Boy, I know it's hard to resist the temptation to rip open the box and throw it up into the air as soon as you can.  With a little patience, reviewing some of the DJI video tutorials or  YouTube instruction videos and previous threads detailing advice to new pilots that are too numerous to mention, your first flights shouldn't be too bumpy.

Ignoring all of that, I tend to go by the philosophy that it's only a bad experience if you didn't learn anything.
2015-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules