POI with camera facing outwards
1759 9 2015-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Maybe this has been asked before but is it possible to use the new POI feature and have the camera facing outwards (backwards) rather than towards a center point. Smooth panning takes patience and practice with the rudder so thought this would be a useful feature if you could effectively let the quad fly itself at a set rate. If it's not possible maybe it should be added in a future firmware update?!
2015-10-1
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

just yaw the P3 to point outwards after starting the poi mission.. it will stay like that..
2015-10-1
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-10-1 20:15
just yaw the P3 to point outwards after starting the poi mission.. it will stay like that..

Doh, never even thought of that, nice one Sploodge. Something else to try!
2015-10-1
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

While we are asking about POI...  When you designate the POI waypoint, can you then set a new altitude?  I'd like to lower over a POI very close, so I know it is centered, and then raise altitude to shooting height and distance before starting mission.  My camera does not face exactly forward (center), so I need to get very close to get it right.
2015-10-1
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ag0n Posted at 2015-10-1 21:37
While we are asking about POI...  When you designate the POI waypoint, can you then set a new altitu ...

Once you have set the POI by hovering over it you can move to whatever point you want to to start including the altitude so long as it is over 5m away. I changed the altitude and pulled back away from it whilst it continued to circle around it.
2015-10-1
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Thanks, Darren.  No flying weather here lately, quite blustery, etc.  The reason I want to get very close when setting the POI waypoint, is the camera is off center (not forward).  Until I fix it, I can't nail down the point very accurately without a lot of trial and error.
2015-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Darren,

POI is a really sweet tool for video.  I have done spirals up to 400 feet and back down - really cool effect.  You can also adjust the gimbal angle very slowly to add to the effect.  Using the out facing camera orientation, as sploodge suggested, provides a faster pan when you need it like if you want to record a faster orbit than the slider allows (you can also use the right stick).  I had 3 ducks checking out my P3 yesterday just before I got the Low Battery Warning - a great use for sploodge's suggestion; except no more battery and they came back four times before I had to land!  

Facing the camera inward - across the center point - allows a very slow pan like when you use 4K.  Both techniques are rock steady even in windy conditions and do not even look like the P3 is orbiting a 40 foot circle.  Instead, the P3 appears to be spinning on its axis in the video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-3
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ag0n Posted at 2015-10-3 02:20
Thanks, Darren.  No flying weather here lately, quite blustery, etc.  The reason I want to get very  ...

I noticed on one of mine the point was not exactly in centre as it circled. Not sure if I was nervously putting a rudder input in though as it was first attempt and did;t really want to let go of the sticks! Good luck!
2015-10-3
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Cetaman Posted at 2015-10-3 09:41
Aloha Darren,

POI is a really sweet tool for video.  I have done spirals up to 400 feet and ba ...

Aloha Cetaman!

Haven't had any bird interaction myself (yet), hopefully they don't get too close though! Will try the outward facing pan next time i'm out and see how I get on with it compared to manually panning with the rudder stick.

D.
2015-10-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Darren,

Try facing out and also facing across the center.  They both have their advantages.  Way smoother than manual pan.  Even with all the practice I had panning, POI beats me by a long shot - and you can adjust pitch and change altitude while the panning takes care of itself.  Your unseen assistant so-to-speak.

Aloha And Drone On!
2015-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules