Sink or swim. Do they disappear to the bottom?
1489 9 2015-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Another silly thought. Not that i'm planning on taking off from / landing on water or even flying over at the moment but is it possible to have something that would keep the quad on the waters surface. Not necessarily safely upright, I'm thinking more of recovery should the thing end up in the drink in the worst case scenario. Something like that floaty stick to keep your GoPro afloat if you drop it in the sea. I'm guessing they will sink to the bottom?
2015-10-1
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

As experienced by others, it sinks.  Gurgle, gurgle, goodbye.  
2015-10-1
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Maybe attach a  "swimming noodle" to the landing gear? may flip upside-down but should keep floating for retrieval.  Cut a notch in it for the landing gear and use plastic cable ties to hold it on.  Cut to size first of course. LOL

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1258888011

2015-10-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I've seen a variety of different "solutions" to that problem.  One one extreme is a Phantom lookalike that is actually waterproof and the YouTube video shows it swimming underwater and then taking off from the surface, there are various buoyant attachments (with dubious effectiveness) and then there are some that are strictly for recovery of the body AFTER it's hit the drink.  I tend to avoid large bodies of water (or even small ones for that matter)
2015-10-1
Use props
Akaemit02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5894029 ft
United States

Might want to look into this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _detailpage_o09_s00

2015-10-1
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-10-1 23:44
Maybe attach a  "swimming noodle" to the landing gear? may flip upside-down but should keep floating ...

That's the type of thing I initially thought of cut down to size. My son's got one so might have a look at that.
2015-10-1
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Akaemit02 Posted at 2015-10-2 01:00
Might want to look into this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIYIU8Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=o ...

Now that is a clever idea and nice and compact too. Thanks.
2015-10-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

yes, just like a greased rock!!!
2015-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Darren,

They make closed cell hot water pipe foam insulation and they already have the slit in them.  They are much cheaper than pool noodles and it keeps a smile on your son's face.  Just cut to size and Zip-Tie in place.  If the core (where the water pipe would go) is too large, it can be filled with an ultra-buoyant lightweight material and then held in place with the Zip-Tie.  Sold in hardware stores in various lengths and thicknesses.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-11
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Cetaman Posted at 2015-10-11 10:51
Aloha Darren,

They make closed cell hot water pipe foam insulation and they already have the s ...

Thought that would be the best and most logical idea, thanks.
2015-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules