So I got my Phantom 3 Advanced off the box... now what!?
1288 19 2015-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42818 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Guys,
I'm new and eager to fly. So I got my P3 out of the box and realise I have to update the software of the remote and also of the drone and batery I guess. I noted that there's a number of version of firmware and that there's some order to follow. Is there a way to now which version to start updating my P3 gear of how can I check for the version that it has already loaded. I will appreciate any infomration. I'm in the process of charging the baterry and the remote. So I have time to work around this matter and I will appreciate any input.
Essentially the questions are
How can I check what Firmware version I have, if warranted
If not need to know what version I have, then what vesion do I start to with...
2015-10-3
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went through this recently with a Phantom 3 Pro. I wish you were in the States, it would be easier to explain the process over the Phone. It is not going to let you fly until you activate it and you need an Internet connection to your Tablet while performing the activation. The latest update is the one at the top of the download list I believe 1.4.10. But there is a bug in the program that DJI is in the process of repairing as we speak. Yo want to stay with the earlier version 1.3.20? I don't have it in front of me at the moment. In any event the Controller is going to stay at the version before the 1.3.20. I am guessing at the moment. What I do and did is to grab a clean Micro SD Card and a USB Flash Drive for the Controller. I'll check back later on today when I have two computers running in front of me so I can be exact in what I am telling you. Take your time and relax. Don't be in a rush and get frustrated. In the mean time charge the Battery  and the Controller Battery.
2015-10-3
Use props
DarthDrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-10-3 22:30
I went through this recently with a Phantom 3 Pro. I wish you were in the States, it would be easier ...

Thanks mate! I really appreciate this. I think that it was naive of me to think I was just unpack and hit the road flying
2015-10-3
Use props
tibx
lvl.1

Slovakia

rodger Posted at 2015-10-3 14:30
I went through this recently with a Phantom 3 Pro. I wish you were in the States, it would be easier ...

I have new Phantom 3 Adv. I turn on remote controller, turn on Phantom. Lights is green on RC and I can move the camera.

Then I connect Android device and launch DJI Go app. But DJI Go still stays in Connect your Aircraft screen with How to Connect button. There is no Camera View button.

I updated Phantom firmware to Phantom 3 Advanced Firmware v1.4.0010 with Result: Success. Then try to update RC firmware with Result: Abort
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the remote controller.

But still no Camera View in DJI Go app...
2015-10-3
Use props
Homer J
lvl.1

United States

I just went through the whole process, with a few issues but finally successful thanks to the members on this board
here is a link to the thread I posted last week - it should help you through the process

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D235%26typeid%3D235
2015-10-3
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tibx Posted at 2015-10-3 11:18
I have new Phantom 3 Adv. I turn on remote controller, turn on Phantom. Lights is green on RC and  ...

The controller use the previous version 1.3 and the Phantom uses the 1.4 version. That is why it aborted. As I said earlier there is an issue(s) with the 1.4 that DJI is addressing at the moment. You may not get any range and have Video issues. I guess you are having the Video issue. I tried to warn you about that. Try to go back to the1.3 Version and se what happens. Leave it there until you hear of a new version being available.
2015-10-3
Use props
DarthDrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Thank you all for your input. Your posts are greatly appreciated. I have finished charging but now I realised I need a micro SD card reader... I would have hope for what I have paid that DJI would have included one. SO off to the shops and then see what happens...
Shall there be any further suggestions please continue posting and thank you in advance. BTW  any suggestions about what micro SD card to get or what reader is more appropriate for this. I have a Mac and and iPad Air that is not cellular
2015-10-3
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

DarthDrone Posted at 2015-10-3 18:54
Thank you all for your input. Your posts are greatly appreciated. I have finished charging but now I ...

You don't need a SDCard reader.

Just connect the USB on the side of the Camera/Gimbal plate into a PC.

You can then use the PC to fully access the SDCard.

If you are going to do updates, just delete all the files in the root and move the firmware bin to it. Then just restart the drone.
2015-10-3
Use props
DarthDrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-10-4 09:05

Just connect the USB on the side of the Camera/Gimbal plate into  ...

Oh! I see. So I can use the white cable to connect the  Mac to the P3 in the gamble/ camera and then I can work the microSD card. Excellent idea and then I can to the same with the RC I gather.Thanks for the tip. I shall give it a go. I guess I better remove the props before trying this!
2015-10-3
Use props
DarthDrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Homer J Posted at 2015-10-4 01:54
I just went through the whole process, with a few issues but finally successful thanks to the member ...

Woo Hoo! Homer!
Thanks for the link mate.
2015-10-3
Use props
ernestliston
lvl.1
Canada

bought last week
2015-10-3
Use props
ernestliston
lvl.1
Canada

paid the upgrade process.
2015-10-3
Use props
DarthDrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-10-4 09:05

Just connect the USB on the side of the Camera/Gimbal plate into  ...

Hi mate, I just tied that but could not get access to the data base fro some reason. I got a Mac and can emulate windows. Tried it both ways but could not get into the data base... I must be doing something wrong or I should just get a micro SD reader... Any suggestions
2015-10-3
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

DarthDrone Posted at 2015-10-3 20:37
Hi mate, I just tied that but could not get access to the data base fro some reason. I got a Mac a ...

I don't have a SDCard reader. I always have done it that way.

It just shows up as a new drive on Windows. Don't know why it isn't for you.

Is the P3 turned on? Has to be powered to work.
2015-10-3
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

DarthDrone Posted at 2015-10-3 19:25
Oh! I see. So I can use the white cable to connect the  Mac to the P3 in the gamble/ camera and th ...

For upgrading the RC, you connect the RC to the P3 Camera/Gimbal using the USB and restart the RC (with the P3 powered on of course).

The RC will read the file just like the PC does.
2015-10-3
Use props
DarthDrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-10-4 11:09
For upgrading the RC, you connect the RC to the P3 Camera/Gimbal using the USB and restart the RC  ...

Thanks for your patience and explanation. I will give it another go latter on. Appreciate your advise
2015-10-3
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Homer J Posted at 2015-10-3 11:54
I just went through the whole process, with a few issues but finally successful thanks to the member ...

I nailed i the second time around taking a breather in between rounds. Yes, the forum is great. One can gain from a ton of experience that the user's have. It is a great resource for both new and experienced Pilots. I for one am thankful that DJI started the Forums. we would be lost without it.
2015-10-4
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarthDrone Posted at 2015-10-3 18:54
Thank you all for your input. Your posts are greatly appreciated. I have finished charging but now I ...

Some of the Micro's come with a USB reader. You want a card that writes at high speed. Check bhphoto.com > DJI Phantom 3 > recommended accessories. They are not expensive. You don't have to buy it from them. I buy my gear from them. In any event you will know what you need.
2015-10-4
Use props
DarthDrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Finally! Success!!!!
Thank you all for your help
2015-10-4
Use props
tibx
lvl.1

Slovakia

tibx Posted at 2015-10-3 16:18
I have new Phantom 3 Adv. I turn on remote controller, turn on Phantom. Lights is green on RC and  ...

In order to use DJI Go app on Android device, USB debugging must be enabled in Developer options menu in Settings.

Note for USB debugging requirement:
It is strange from DJI to require user to enable this option, because it is intended only to help developers with applications debugging and development on Android devices. Enabling this option for common user is certain security risk for device, because device connected through USB has higher privileges to make some operations with Android device without user consent (on background).
2015-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules