Fly Away In Follow-Me
2133 19 2015-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pbusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Excited to get the new software and firmware.

I've been able to successfully circle in POI mode, however, in Follow-Me mode it either doesn't move, or takes off in an odd direction, IE... away from me.
Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

2015-10-6
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

are you sure its not moving away to the distance youve set it too? does it stop after a few moments? you need to provide more info
2015-10-8
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

As Kari said it may be making a straight line to the first waypoint.
2015-10-8
Use props
pbusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-10-8 20:15
As Kari said it may be making a straight line to the first waypoint.

First waypoint?  I'm trying follow-me, not waypoint.  

Kairkyo, I'll try again and provide some additional information.

Thanks to both for responding.
2015-10-8
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

pbusardo Posted at 2015-10-8 23:15

Kairkyo, I'll try again and provide some a ...

the way it seems to work is follow mode places a waypoint every few moments. what i think is happening is the copter is flying away from you to the distance you told it to stay away from you. next time you go out to try, go up high enough to where you wont hit anything in the immediate area and set the mode and watch what it does, if it keeps on going then you may have issues.

please be aware we are in the middle of a solar storm at the moment so testing today might not be a good idea
2015-10-8
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I  think yr tablet must have s gps on it?
2015-10-8
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

pbusardo Posted at 2015-10-8 11:15

Kairkyo, I'll try again and provide some a ...

I guess we were not following you (no pun intended) My thought was that you had set the waypoints from a previous flight and were using this points to make a return flight.
2015-10-9
Use props
pbusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-10-9 19:48
I guess we were not following you (no pun intended) My thought was that you had set the waypoints  ...

LOL, no it's the Follow-Me feature that I can't get to work.  I've flown POI without issue.  Still haven't tried Waypoint flying.
2015-10-9
Use props
pbusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Is it true that the device I'm using for DJI GO requires GPS?
2015-10-9
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

pbusardo Posted at 2015-10-9 23:45

YES. along with several other basic functions, the follow mode is using your devices GPS. but seeing as youre having no other problems im going to assume the divce has GPS
2015-10-9
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

pbusardo Posted at 2015-10-9 08:45

The Follow Me requires the device to have GPS. If your device doesn't have GPS you can buy something like the Garmin GLO to add it.
2015-10-9
Use props
nabesarawak
lvl.2

Malaysia

First trial for Follow me, I dont know that Device must turn on GPS, so DJI Go app said that no GPS Signal on your device....
so turn on GPS on my device for next trial, and no problem.  Need to turn on GPS of your device...
2015-10-10
Use props
JK JK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652552 ft
Czechia

nabesarawak Posted at 2015-10-10 11:57
First trial for Follow me, I dont know that Device must turn on GPS, so DJI Go app said that no GPS  ...

It is clear, your bird has to know where you are, it can know it only via the GPS in your mobile phone/tablet :-)

Have a good time with your bird
2015-10-10
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

pbusardo Posted at 2015-10-9 11:45

No. The GP S is in the Phantom. Location data for your device is supplied by either W-Fi or Cellular Data Triangulation. Every Wi-Fi Router has the Lat and Long of its location. Go into a store and use maps on your device. It will work and you are not receiving any Satellite Signal. Once your Phantom is connected to your device and you have the number of Satellites displayed on the Go App put the Phantom behind a tree so that it is completely covered and you will see all of the Satellites disappear from your Go App. You can do the same thing by shielding the Phantom completely.
2015-10-10
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

pbusardo Posted at 2015-10-9 11:45

Oh, my. YES. The device itself must have GPS positioning turned on.
Perhaps the poster above misunderstood your Follow Me question... "Every Wi-Fi Router has the Lat and Long of its location".  Really? That is ....inaccurate. NOT trying to pick a fight here.

Here is a very good video explaining things: https://goo.gl/5b9AeR
2015-10-10
Use props
andrewjustinp
New

United States

Hello, to the OP it is true that a gps on your tablet/phone is required. I had my phantom 3 pro fly into a tree because I was using a wifi only ipad air. Once I switched to my iphone (which has gps) my follow me feature worked flawlessly. The only features 100% gps is needed is the waypoint and follow me. Hope this helps.
2015-10-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no way the usual wifi based location can work for the Follow-me.
As others have mentioned, you need to have fully GPS enabled device (most of the phones are - some of the Android tablets are - and only Apple cellular tablets have it).

It cannot use other positioning as that is not accurate enough.

Also, don't try follow me in canyons, urban areas or between a lot of trees, light poles, etc. - or you will be crashing your bird.
2015-10-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-10-10 12:14
Oh, my. YES. The device itself must have GPS positioning turned on.
Perhaps the poster above misun ...

That was a good tutorial. I will have to bookmark that one to show other users that have questions.
2015-10-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

And yeah, the device itself must have GPS positioning turned on.
2015-10-10
Use props
Daemon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105955 ft
United States

And device must have a good GPS position.   If the device's idea of your location is poor, or coming and going, the aircraft is going to be chasing bad coordinates.
2015-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules