Waypoints hidden panel, reverse route, etc.
3974 22 2015-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
raptor30k
lvl.1

United States

I'm just now experimenting with Waypoints.
While running the recorded route I selected Hide on the Waypoints panel. It disappeared and a "Show this panel" button appeard for a few seconds, then it disappeared. How do I get the hidden Waypoints panel back?

Is there a way to Pause and then reverse the route?

Is there any way to set waypoints below 32 feet?

If in hilly terrain will the height of the quad copter automatically follow the contours (I suppose to GPS reported altitudes) ?  (In P-GPS or Waypoints modes)
2015-10-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

you can get your waypoints view back by pressing the intelligent flight modes button( on a left of aircraft status)
2015-10-11
Use props
raptor30k
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-11 19:10
you can get your waypoints view back by pressing the intelligent flight modes button( on a left of a ...

Now I see it. Looks obvious now. Thanks.   I recorded the screen to catch things like that, but still didn't spot it on my own.  
2015-10-11
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Raptor,

I'm not certain about the 32' waypoint minimum as I don't use DJI Go for waypoint flying, I use a 3rd party app. I can tell you that the altitude during your waypoint flight will not follow the contour of the terrain that you are flying, it will always be calculated from your Home Point elevation. I also do not believe that you can reverse the route but I can't say that with certainty.

Jerry
2015-10-11
Use props
raptor30k
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-10-11 19:48
Raptor,

I'm not certain about the 32' waypoint minimum as I don't use DJI Go for waypoint flying, I ...

Thanks Jerry for the reply. Too bad they can't use Google elevation data at the current GPS coordinates. Wonder if there are issues that prevent them from doing this?

I found out about reversing the route in Waypoint mode. Thanks to rayrokni, his post "Setup and test ZIP LINE mode using waypoints" pointed me in the right direction:     In Waypoints mode if you set Speed to zero you can then manually control the speed and direction of flight along the route. If you have some speed setting, say 5 mph, you can manually reverse the direction with the right stick, then when you let go of the stick the copter will return to the forward direction at the set speed.  It turns out that you can adjust the Speed setting anytime during the mission, from zero to max. But with automated speed setting the copter only goes in increasing order of waypoints. It would be nice if you could set a negative speed or perhaps have a button to reverse the direction of the route.
2015-10-12
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

raptor30k Posted at 2015-10-12 11:05
Thanks Jerry for the reply. Too bad they can't use Google elevation data at the current GPS coordi ...

Raptor,

No sweat, that's what we're supposed to do around here, help each other out. I'd be screwed if it wasn't for these forums. I don't use the DJI Go app much so I couldn't help you with your other questions. Glad Rayrok was able to help you out, from reading his posts he seems like a guys that really knows his stuff.

Regarding "Too bad they can't use Google elevation data at the current GPS coordinates", one of the 3rd party developers said something to the effect that it would require a live internet feed and would create too much live communication with Googles servers. At least that's the way I interpreted what he wrote. I have no clue whether that's truly the case or not, I'm just repeating what I thought I read.

It certainly would be nice to have that ability. I live where there is a lot of rolling farm land. It'd be really cool to be able to hug the ground at 10-15-20' while following the contour of the ground! Someday, maybe...

Jerry
2015-10-12
Use props
raptor30k
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-10-12 09:32
Raptor,

No sweat, that's what we're supposed to do around here, help each other out. I'd be screw ...

Yeah, following contours would be nice. Right now, the few times I've looked, it looks like the ultrasound and monocular camera only work to 10 ft (or so) off the ground. Wonder how much it would cost to add Lidar?  ... I see an $85 (qty 1) module that measures 40 M.  Don't know about weight or battery use costs. Although this particular ad says good for drone projects.
2015-10-12
Use props
46chief
lvl.1
Flight distance : 581519 ft
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-10-11 22:48
Raptor,

I'm not certain about the 32' waypoint minimum as I don't use DJI Go for waypoint flying, I ...

What app do you use for waypoint missions?
2015-10-13
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Regarding altitude when using waypoints...

I haven't used the waypoints feature yet, but there are some videos online which explain it very well.

You have to manually fly to each point to set it and in doing so you you will set the altitude for that waypoint.

Between waypoints, the videos seem to indicate that the Phantom will rise/fall based on the altitude of the next waypoint. So if Waypoint A is 100ft and Waypoint B is 200 ft, your Phantom should be at 150 when in the middle of these two waypoints.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong. I am just going by the several instructional videos I have viewed.

Note that the above behavior could be an issue if obstacles are between two waypoints. However, if you want to follow contours, it should be relatively easy to approximate that by adding waypoints along the route when creating it.

2015-10-13
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

46chief Posted at 2015-10-13 12:39
What app do you use for waypoint missions?

Litchi. I've been running Ground Station waypoint runs all day today! Weather and bird are both cooperating. Longest run so far today 5.7 miles, longest distance from home about 2.2 miles. What a great day so far!

Jerry

(BTW, If that's a motorcycle you've got. I've got an old military '47 741B.)
2015-10-13
Use props
46chief
lvl.1
United States

No, it's actually an Aeronca 11AC Chief
2015-10-13
Use props
alfredosuna
lvl.3
Mexico

jrm11 Posted at 2015-10-14 02:04
Regarding altitude when using waypoints...

I haven't used the waypoints feature yet, but there are  ...

Hi jrm11, by any chance do you still have the links to those videos??
2015-12-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-10-13 11:09

Litchi. I've been running Ground Station waypoint runs all day today! Weather and bird are bo ...

Jerry,

Just dipping in on the conversation. I don't have any that old,  but I do have a 56 Triumph T100 scrambler, 2 BSA B50mx 1974 variety,  a 78 Matchless 750 and more than a few others.  As well as some more modern bikes like a 97 Vmax 1200,  a 2005 CBR1000RR, a 93 CBR600r.  I have an original 85 Vmax is completely disassembled condition.  Gosh, I could go on and on.
2015-12-9
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-9 15:27
Jerry,

Just dipping in on the conversation. I don't have any that old,  but I do have a 56 Triump ...

Knee,

Straight up story. This was back in the mid 80's? I was living in Artesia, CA. Yamaha had a factory a few miles from my apartment. I had to pass by it on my way to work everyday. I'm heading to work one morning and I see this dude come out of the Yamaha parking lot on this long, low bike I'd never seen before. Dude was all blacked out. Nothing showing. Full leathers, boots and full face helmet. I pull up to this guy at the stop light on my old POS, Ape-Hangered, AMF Harley. He flips his lid and looks at me and says "You ever seen anything like this?", "I'm a test rider for Yamaha, this is the new VMax, watch this." Dude was super excited. Light changes, Dude is up on the rear wheel through 4th gear, a good F'ng mile. F'ng incredible! We pulled over a few lights up and had a chat. First VMax. I almost bought one just because of that Dude but the insurance was triple mine. That was a bad-assed scoot, better yet, it was a bad-assed rider!

Been on American V-Twins my whole life. I love seeing everything new and cool but I'll due with my Harley!

Jerry
2015-12-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-12-9 14:18
Knee,

Straight up story. This was back in the mid 80's? I was living in Artesia, CA. Yamaha had a ...

Yeah, I hear ya.  That was 85.  First year the Max came out.  They de-tuned it a bit after that, but it is still a bad ass.  The new models are 1800cc fuel injected as opposed to the original 1200 cc naturally aspirated  .Of all my bikes,  my V-Max is the most comfortable to ride and faster than all but the 2 Hondas.  The CBR1000rr is a rocketship.
2015-12-9
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Google altitude data

raptor30k Posted at 2015-10-12 17:05
Thanks Jerry for the reply. Too bad they can't use Google elevation data at the current GPS coordi ...

Google altitude data isnt accurate enough.
You can easily see this if you create a box in google earth and move it around.I noticed it when copy/paste flight plan boxes here,
some times the sunk far into the ground when I moved them:
01_The_Plan.jpg

2015-12-9
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-9 16:41
Yeah, I hear ya.  That was 85.  First year the Max came out.  They de-tuned it a bit after that, b ...

Knee,

2077cc with nitrous...

Jerry

The Ground Pounder

The Ground Pounder
2015-12-9
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-9 16:41
Yeah, I hear ya.  That was 85.  First year the Max came out.  They de-tuned it a bit after that, b ...

The old Trumpets were bad-ass in their day. How 'bout the old Vincent?
Jerry
2015-12-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-12-9 17:54
Knee,

2077cc with nitrous...

That's sick.  Nice and sick.
2015-12-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-12-9 18:05
The old Trumpets were bad-ass in their day. How 'bout the old Vincent?
Jerry

Always wanted to get one,  but the guys who got em aint letting em go.  My T100 Scrambler is set up for flat track.  I got it from a 76 year old guy who used to race it.  It's still just like it was then.  Rear sprocket almost big as the wheel.  No suspension,  just a couple of springs on the bicycle style seat.  Light as hell,  compared to todays bikes.
I have not used nitrous, but I have a power commander on the Cbr1000.  That thing is scary stock.  With the power commander,  well........
2015-12-9
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

alfredosuna Posted at 2015-12-9 12:48
Hi jrm11, by any chance do you still have the links to those videos??

Try this one... It is a DJI tutorial:

BTW, since I wrote my original response, i have set up and flown several different waypoint missions. Altittude is defnintely included in each individual waypoint.
2015-12-14
Use props
alfredosuna
lvl.3
Mexico

jrm11 Posted at 2015-12-15 06:01
Try this one... It is a DJI tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvvbMxQ9Hj0

Cool, thanks for your response!
2015-12-14
Use props
46chief
lvl.1
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-12-9 17:18
Knee,

Straight up story. This was back in the mid 80's? I was living in Artesia, CA. Yamaha had a ...

PLEASE STOP IT !!! ;) I cannot afford a bike right now due to my serious affliction with fly toys.

I've been dreaming of finding a V-MAX, A Triumph Tiger, an old knuckle or a panhead project, that I can restore ride, unfortunately.

Don't get me started on finding an old Ford 4x4 to restore.

Please wish me luck on my fledgling Aerial surveying business to flourish and leave me enough time to restore old machinery

Thread drift is perfectly acceptable when discussing classic bikes aircraft and cars right?
2016-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules