After 35 hours of flying with my P3 ... CRASH today..I'm sad. CRASH CLEARED!!
2854 33 2015-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

First of all sorry for my english..I'm from Switzerland and speak french.
I made several flights that day in the mountains with a beautiful weather. On the last flight, I was to return the drone which was about 1,000 feet altitude. At one point, he went into a spin and fell like a stone. I can not tell if a motor or more stopped. The different flights before have passed without problems. The winds were quite low. Unfortunately I have not managed to find the last record. The battery has been ejected from the drone upon impact with the ground. No alarm. Attached is a link log on Healthy Drones. I'm not an expert but I see something strange in the "Sensors - Compass"
Please can you help me?
Thank you in advance
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=NDQ4OA

P3-4

P3-4

P3-3

P3-3

P3-2

P3-2

P3-1

P3-1

P3

P3
2015-10-13
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry for the crash dude..

Did you find the missing propeller? Very little damage to the motors but the prop seems to have come off..

Other than that, the logs shows it going into Atti then seemingly crashing..
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

sploodge Posted at 2015-10-13 11:07
Sorry for the crash dude..

Did you find the missing propeller? Very little damage to the motors but ...

Hello sploodge.
thank you for your answer. Yes the 4. Prop go away when i walk back. Yes you right, i no change on atti, i stay all Flight on GPS mode.
2015-10-13
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Sorry for your lose at first glance it looks like prop came causing the  bird then to auto switch to ati due to losing sat signals with it being sideways .
2015-10-13
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

My sympathies.
Can I ask are they DJI props?  or a 3rd party vendor?
2015-10-13
Use props
wrs heli
lvl.3
Flight distance : 464741 ft
Switzerland

Hi flyingwaco, if I compare the planetary solar K index in UTC time between 10:30AM to 01:30 PM (K-index 5) on the 12th Oct with your flight, where you have the compass fault (local time 1:47 PM), this could be your compass problem. Sorry for your crash
Gruss, Rolf - schöne Gegend um Meiringen

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/planetary-k-index

K-Index.jpg
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

wrs heli Posted at 2015-10-13 13:44
Hi flyingwaco, if I compare the planetary solar K index in UTC time between 10:30AM to 01:30 PM (K-i ...

Hallo wrs heli,

danke für deine Antwort, aber da bin ich komplete überfordet...Niemals gehört von K-index. Was heisst das genau? Hab ich eine Fehler gemacht?
Danke
Auch Sorry für mein deutsch...
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

liningiv Posted at 2015-10-13 13:12
My sympathies.
Can I ask are they DJI props?  or a 3rd party vendor?

Hello liningiv,
no, this was DJI carbon prop black 9450.
2015-10-13
Use props
wrs heli
lvl.3
Flight distance : 464741 ft
Switzerland

flyingwaco@gmai Posted at 2015-10-13 14:09
Hallo wrs heli,

danke für deine Antwort, aber da bin ich komplete überfordet...Niemals gehört  ...

Hallo flyingwaco, (sorry for english speaking people, but for better help the following text is in german)
Es handelt sich dabei um Sonnenstürme die sehr starke Magnetfelder/Teilchen (siehe auch zBsp Nordlichter) Richtung Erde aussenden. Auf der Erde werden durch diese Stürme die relativ stabilen Magnetfelder gestört und können elektronische Geräte sehr stark beeinflussen, in diesem Falle den Kompass (GPS, WiFi usw.) In der Regel sollte nicht über einen Wert von grösser K4 mit Störungsempfindlichen Geräten geflogen werden. Ich empfehle Dir bei einem iOS Gerät die App 'Solar Monitor' zu installieren und vor dem geplanten Flug den K-Index  abzufragen. Du kannst Dich auch in diese Thematik sehr schön im Internet einlesen.

Dass Du eventuell einen Propeller verloren hast, könnte auch aus diesem Grunde erfolgt sein, wenn der Kopter starke Richtungsänderungen (Rotorbremse) vorgenommen hätte und dabei sich ein von Hand aufgesetztes Rotorblatt gelöst haben könnte. Ich, meinerseits ziehe die Props immer mit dem Schlüssel fest und nicht nur ein bisschen von Hand.

Hope this information helps a little bit
Rolf
2015-10-13
Use props
nabesarawak
lvl.2

Malaysia

wrs heli Posted at 2015-10-13 19:44
Hi flyingwaco, if I compare the planetary solar K index in UTC time between 10:30AM to 01:30 PM (K-i ...

I heard solar wind interrupt GPS signal, but we can only know the expected time to effect satellite, such as a few days later after solar flare or so. And said effect a few minutes or sometimes hours.....
How to expect  ??
2015-10-13
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Yesterday, 2 big Royal Eagles were on their ways to attack my Phantom 3. I had the reflex to do a quick side way movement before the Eagle grab my P3. Otherwise I would have crash that is for sure.
Maybe you have been attack by a bird ?
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-13 16:09
Yesterday, 2 big Royal Eagles were on their ways to attack my Phantom 3. I had the reflex to do a qu ...

Hello GQ,
thanks for your comment. I just have new information and link for video. Will make post.
Thanks
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

I managed to save the movie the last seconds of flight. I was able to start quickly my p3 with SD card inside. I was very surprised to see what I did not see that day. A bird ... We do not see the bird directly attack the drone but I think the probability is very high. I would like your opinion. It is not the first time that Birds come near my drone but never attack him.
Thank you.
See link movie below

2015-10-13
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well looks like a prop coming off.. Or a bird strike..

The balck lines you see are images of a prop. Not sure what the exact terms is but it happens because the props get caught in the video frame so quck it is not fully recorded in the image.. You get the same type thing then the props are in view flying forwards..
2015-10-13
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

wrs heli Posted at 2015-10-13 22:44

What strength will affect the phantom? Will this same strength affect other devices? If so, would this be in the news, or would only one drone be affected?

I have flown quads without a compass or GPS, just wondering how these things can make the Phantom drop suddenly.
Here's what I've read so far.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... .35796/#post-331319
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

wrs heli Posted at 2015-10-13 15:17
Hallo flyingwaco, (sorry for english speaking people, but for better help the following text is in ...

Ich danke dir für solche Erklärungen. Es ist sehr interessant. Hab ich wieder etwas gelernt.
2015-10-13
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I change my mind.. Definetly a bird strike.. On a plus note, that is stunning scenery..

birkstrike.PNG
birdclaw.PNG
birdwing.PNG
2015-10-13
Use props
AssHatModerator
lvl.2

United States

Beautiful scenery!

Looking at your compass data the trouble started at 12:23 when it spun 129 degrees in 0.1 seconds (something knocked it for a loop!) and it continued the spin all the way to the ground.
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

sploodge Posted at 2015-10-13 16:54
I change my mind.. Definetly a bird strike.. On a plus note, that is stunning scenery..

Oh my God!!!! Great Job sploodge...
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

I did not need to go on its territory. its my fault. in Switzerland there is no more room, each corner is private. But it cost me 1500 Frs...
Thanks all for your post.

2015-10-13
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

flyingwaco@gmai Posted at 2015-10-13 12:00
I did not need to go on its territory. its my fault. in Switzerland there is no more room, each corn ...

So I was right. A bird did it.
2015-10-13
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

You can see in the blue sky the 2 Eagles turning around after the Phantom escape from them. I started the camera only on my last moments flying back home. What a rush.Hopefully I was not far and too high. Otherwise it was a crash that is for sure. This is another example to show how important it is to fly the Phantom in sight of view for security.
Je l'ai échappé belle.

2015-10-13
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft
Germany

Well, on the positive side - I know it doesn't help bring your Phantom back - at least it doesn't leave many of us with the weird feeling that it might be a technical issue. There are a lot of stories full of speculation about technical issues in this forum. So thanks for the post.

And one thing I would not recommend which one fellow pilot has mentioned: tightening the props with a wrench - that was maybe necessary with the Phantom 2 but not with the Phantom 3. Tightening the props with just two fingers should be enough as the Phantom 3 will tighten the props even more on startup. If you tighten the props too much you risk to damage the plastic threads of the props so that they lose grip and fall off.
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-13 19:14
You can see in the blue sky the 2 Eagles turning around after the Phantom escape from them. I starte ...

Merci pour la vidéo. J'ai aussi déjà eu quelques fois des oiseaux qui tournent autour mais jamais trop près. Hier, je n'ai même pas vu l'oiseau car je regardais sur mon écran ce que je filmais et le drone était à environ 400 mètres. Lorsque l'image c'est mise à tourner, j'ai seulement essayé de voir où tombe le P3.
2015-10-13
Use props
flyingwaco
lvl.1

Switzerland

DroPro Posted at 2015-10-13 19:24
Well, on the positive side - I know it doesn't help bring your Phantom back - at least it doesn't le ...

Yes, i Tightening the props with just two fingers too. Its important for all and me too that we know why this crash. It is also important not to fly over people becouse this can happen at any time. I not see this bird becouse i look my tab and the drone was about 400 meters away.
2015-10-13
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

flyingwaco@gmai Posted at 2015-10-13 13:29
Merci pour la vidéo. J'ai aussi déjà eu quelques fois des oiseaux qui tournent autour mais jama ...

Mon plaisir .Mon fils était avec moi et c'est lui qui a vu les 2 aigles. Moi aussi je regardais mon écran.
2015-10-13
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-10-13 15:54

wow some pictures that, not good but atlas you have the answers
2015-10-13
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-13
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-13 16:46
"I did not need to go on its territory. its my fault."   What a great attitude. Here in the states ...

Totally agree with your jjejfjf.
We must respect those birds and territory.
And this is another example to show how important it is to fly with the Phantom sight of view for security.

2015-10-14
Use props
patman561
lvl.1
Flight distance : 946204 ft
United States

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-13 06:09
Yesterday, 2 big Royal Eagles were on their ways to attack my Phantom 3. I had the reflex to do a qu ...

I really do love nature yet (jokingly) I'm beginning to kind of develop ill feelings towards the bigger flying predators, as I find myself cursing them when I see them flying near me. Oh well, we are invading their air space as they are the REAL drones of the sky.

Fly safe!
2015-11-2
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

patman561 Posted at 2015-11-2 14:18
I really do love nature yet (jokingly) I'm beginning to kind of develop ill feelings towards the b ...

I am sorry for you patman561.
They are so big and strong compare to our Phantom 3.
Did you recover your Phantom ?
2015-11-2
Use props
munnecke
lvl.1

United States

Here's a close call with a hawk I had this afternoon in the hills in San Diego
2015-11-2
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

munnecke@gmail. Posted at 2015-11-2 23:18
Here's a close call with a hawk I had this afternoon in the hills in San Diego https://youtu.be/nIfk ...

This was pretty closed.
2015-11-3
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

2015-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules