Slate mines in the English Lake District
2175 29 2015-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

My first planned video from The Old Man of Coniston in the English Lake District.  Any comments welcome, good or bad.  I've been a stills photographer for many years, which is what I bought my P3P for, but I'm finding aerial video too irresistable to ignore...

2015-10-13
Use props
Wenney
New

United Kingdom

Hi Nigel great video how lucky are we to have so much to film in our great country watching it has made we want to get my phantom 3 as soon as possible. Have you had any problems with any updates I no a few people have and are you running apple or android .
2015-10-13
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

It amazes me on the  huge variety of the videos here,   A cheap way to travel without a passport, LOL    Nice job! Very interesting site,  do you  have any historical information regarding  you subject?
2015-10-13
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-13
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Wenney Posted at 2015-10-13 23:32
Hi Nigel great video how lucky are we to have so much to film in our great country watching it has m ...

Thanks, no problems with any updates at all.  I'm using an iPad mini 2
2015-10-13
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-10-13 23:43
It amazes me on the  huge variety of the videos here,   A cheap way to travel without a passport, LO ...

I've a fair bit of info on it from a forum, a book & my own explorations.  Where to start?  The mines were last worked in the 1950's but are literally centuries old.  Here're some selfies I took last year inside the ones in the video...

I'm currently thinking of ways to light the mines enough to fly & film inside, but it would need a massive amount of light  to work well & it's not exactly accessible being halfway up a mountain!
2015-10-13
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Wow, Massive!  The selfies were a great idea, otherwise there wouldn't any point of reference to which a viewer could get a sense of scale.  The slate looks somewhat unstable,  scary...   What was slate used for?  I get that Pool tables, flooring perhaps,  but for centuries.  Please excuse my ignorance,  I am from the "New World" LOL
2015-10-14
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-10-14 12:07
Wow, Massive!  The selfies were a great idea, otherwise there wouldn't any point of reference to whi ...

Slate was mostly used for roofing in Europe.  These days most houses in the Europe use manufactured tiles, but almost all houses used to have slate tiles up until around the first world war.  Many older houses still have slate though because it's so durable, but also because planning regulations mean many older slate roofs have to be replaced with original materials.
2015-10-14
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Very nice. The P3Ps do work good.
2015-10-14
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Nigel

What a co-incidence. I was there with some friends doing some 4 wheeling, 2-9th October. We visited Honister slate mine and did some climbing. Some of them also scaled the Old Man.

Here's a very quickly edited video I shot overlooking Coniston...

2015-10-14
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Is that Grizedale?  I've never been there but looks like where it is looking at the background.  I wish I could get up the mountains in a 4x4 rather than having to walk up every time.  No doubt the "Friends of the Lake District" would have something to say about it though!
2015-10-14
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

The fog shots are REALLY great.  Thanks
2015-10-15
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks...they're actually low-flying clouds
2015-10-16
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nigelwilkins Posted at 2015-10-14 21:54
Is that Grizedale?  I've never been there but looks like where it is looking at the background.  I w ...

Yes, just South West of Grizedale. There's some brilliant tracks in the Lake District that you can legally drive, such as the one in my vid.. You can get to some great places for flying.
2015-10-18
Use props
Shaun_au
lvl.1

Australia

nigelwilkins Posted at 2015-10-14 08:31
I've a fair bit of info on it from a forum, a book & my own explorations.  Where to start?  The min ...

Wow amazing place to film and photograph,

I am interested to see the images or film from a flight inside the mines if you get the guts to do it as it will definitely take some to fly inside a mine partially lit and all manual controls as i doubt there is any GPS signal down there.

Please post if you do or have already flown inside the mine
2016-5-11
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218337 ft
United Kingdom

Rather evocative old boy! Great mix of sound and imagery.
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Speedbird1 Posted at 2016-5-11 14:52
Rather evocative old boy! Great mix of sound and imagery.

Thanks! I appreciate it.
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Shaun_au Posted at 2016-5-11 14:21
Wow amazing place to film and photograph,

I am interested to see the images or film from a flight ...

Not done inside the mine yet, although it keeps entering my head.

I've managed to fly my P3 carrying a 412g camera underneath, so it shouldn't be difficult to carry a good sized lamp under there.  That chamber is the darkest place on Earth & swallows light extremely efficiently!

Here's a GoPro video of my first trip into the mine using a reasonably powerful bike light.  This is into the top of the chamber, where it breaks through the tunnel above that I'm standing in.  Fast forward to 9:18

2016-5-11
Use props
GM01
lvl.2

Belgium

Nice one Nigel - You really captured the feel of the place !
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GM01 Posted at 2016-5-11 18:20
Nice one Nigel - You really captured the feel of the place !

Thanks.  It took several visits to get to know the place.
2016-5-11
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice, and great drone control, very smooth!!
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2016-5-11 19:33
Very nice, and great drone control, very smooth!!

The secret was waypoints & lots & lots of editing.  It's very frustrating trying to get smooth control!
2016-5-11
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely Nigel, really nice work. Particularly like the climbing shot halfway through and the wider view from further away. The clouds add an eerie, forgotten landscape feeling to the video. Hard editing cloud though, what kind of post production did you have to do? Much colour correction?

Btw, I've recently started using Autopilot for use with the P3. Takes a while to learn but is really effective for getting smooth shots with a constant focal point.
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-5-11 21:07
Lovely Nigel, really nice work. Particularly like the climbing shot halfway through and the wider vi ...

Thanks.

No post processing at all!  All done on auto settings.  I was concentrating on smooth flying more than anything & also keeping sight of the aircraft through the moving cloud.  It wasn't long after I'd bought the P3, so I was still on a very steep part of the learning curve.  I've only recently learned the downside of using auto white balance with video (I'm used to shooting RAW stills where white balance is irrelevant).

I might start using 3rd party apps now I've got the hang of it, although to be honest, I'm more interested in stills than video.  The problem is video's so addictive it's hard to put down.
2016-5-11
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Lol, I've just clocked the date of your first post! Thought it was a recent one - doh!
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-5-11 22:06
Lol, I've just clocked the date of your first post! Thought it was a recent one - doh!

Haha...can't get too much publicity!
2016-5-11
Use props
Homestead72
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Good job Nigel. Very 'moody'. I loved it.
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Homestead72 Posted at 2016-5-11 23:07
Good job Nigel. Very 'moody'. I loved it.

Cool, thanks.
2016-5-11
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-12 02:55
The secret was waypoints & lots & lots of editing.  It's very frustrating trying to get smooth con ...

But you've done well. I thought the controls were great. And you did a good job (this is where others so quickly fail) of editing out any jerky motions you may have experienced. We all have them, but leaving them in the video ruins them, in my opinion.

Someone said above that the P3Ps do a good job. I have to say that in this case, it was the photographer that did the good job: great eye, knowledge of the material, practiced controls, and skillful editing!

Chris
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-5-11 23:43
But you've done well. I thought the controls were great. And you did a good job (this is where oth ...

Thanks!  If I can get my head through the door I'll make some more soon!
2016-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules