Better quality pictures?
2113 18 2015-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arvidlj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111388 ft
Sweden

I shot a few pics with my Phantom 3 Advanced today. The quality wasn't great, but I didn't play around much with the settings. I want to take really sharp and good looking pictures. I probably will film too but photos is what I wanna get better at now. What would you guys say is most important to adjust in the camera settings here in the flying app?

I've been looking on some ND filters as well. Could that be a good purchase? I haven't taken much pictures so I'm not quite sure on how I should maximize the quality on my photos.

Would love to hear how you get those awesome looking pictures!
2015-10-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy the Phantom 3 Pro.
2015-10-25
Use props
arvidlj
lvl.1
Sweden

rodger Posted at 2015-10-25 18:58
Buy the Phantom 3 Pro.

Is it a big difference with Pro vs Advanced in still photos? I thought the biggest difference was the 4k when filming.
2015-10-25
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

No. There is no difference between Pro vs Advanced. Same sensor, same lens...
2015-10-25
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Finland

I take usually RAW picts and postprocess them by using Photoshop Elements 13.
It is true, the JPEG picts are not so great. You can try to increase sharpnes +2 in camera settings...
Also try use manual mode.
2015-10-25
Use props
arvidlj
lvl.1
Sweden

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-10-25 19:40
I take usually RAW picts and postprocess them by using Photoshop Elements 13.
It is true, the JPEG  ...

Okay! I will try to increase the sharpness. I have access to photoshop as well so I can try to give my pics a quick finish in there.

Have you ever tried any filter on the lense?
2015-10-25
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Finland

arvidlj Posted at 2015-10-25 20:45
Okay! I will try to increase the sharpness. I have access to photoshop as well so I can try to giv ...

Yes. I have use 0.6 neutral density filter for video, to get lower shutter speed in bright day.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-0-6- ... hash=item25a213a4b8

Here is a two sample picts, RAW straight from camera and same after postprocess, saved in JPEG format.
https://drive.google.com/folderv ... R0E&usp=sharing
2015-10-25
Use props
Arvid
lvl.1
Sweden

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-10-25 20:32
Yes. I have use 0.6 neutral density filter for video, to get lower shutter speed in bright day.
ht ...

Nice pic

What exactly did you do with it in photoshop? It looks really good!
2015-10-25
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Finland

I open the RAW image on the editor and by using layers, I make following adjustment.
-(new layer) Levels. Auto levels works fine...
-(new layer) Brightnes/contrast
-(new layer) Hue/saturation
-Merge layers (make sure, you have select all layers)
-Dublicate background layer
-Select background copy layer
-Enhance=>Adjust sharpness (you can also use Auto sharpness)
-Flatten image
Finaly save your image in JPEG format. I am not expert or pro user. This is a procedur, I usually do....

I still think, the still picts are not as good I expect, before I bought my P3A. Gopro produce more sharp images.

What kind of image quality (JPEG) you have got in your P3A? Could you share sample?
2015-10-25
Use props
Arvid
lvl.1
Sweden

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-10-25 21:15
I open the RAW image on the editor and by using layers, I make following adjustment.
-(new layer) Le ...

Thanks for writting these steps! I'm gonna fly again tomorrow and take some more pics, I just started flying today so I don't have much to show yet. Gonna post  some samples here tomorrow.
2015-10-25
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Don't forget, you're only dealing with a 12MP camera.  Process the DNG in LR as well as you can and print or display.
2015-10-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

arvidlj Posted at 2015-10-25 14:17
Is it a big difference with Pro vs Advanced in still photos? I thought the biggest difference was  ...

It is the 4k and the camera function and spec are the same for the Pro and Advanced. I thought you posted that you had a Standard. If you have the Advanced and are only doing Photography you are Good. Grab a set of the Polar Pro Filters and one of the DJI UV Filters.
2015-10-26
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft

rodger Posted at 2015-10-26 21:35
It is the 4k and the camera function and spec are the same for the Pro and Advanced. I thought you ...

To my knowledge, the standard lens protection is a UV filter. So, no need to by another UV filter. Also, I don't see a reason to by ND filters for photography. It just lengthens the shutter time which is useful in video but not at all in aerial photography with a Phantom.
2015-10-26
Use props
tnarwid
lvl.1

United States

If you are using filters be sure your shutter speed is fast enough. There will likely be some subtle drone movement even on calm days so shoot at at least 1/250 th or faster
2015-10-26
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

I have a P3P and I really love being able to edit my photos in RAW .dng format.  I've played alot with the camera settings for photos and videos and found that it's really a trial and error kind of thing. I've always been able to really pull things out in photoshop when working with the raw images.

Here's one of my latest photos.. If you like it - feel free to vote and Like or Fav it, Cheers!
https://www.skypixel.com/photos/ ... ola-orlando-florida
2015-10-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroPro Posted at 2015-10-26 09:49
To my knowledge, the standard lens protection is a UV filter. So, no need to by another UV filter.  ...

True on the ND's, no need in Aerial Photography, to slow. The standard lens cover is just glass for protection. It is not a UV Filter. I wish someone would make a 1A Filter for the camera. I have a 1A on my Phantom 2 Vision and it makes all the difference in the world. Blue is brighter and a bit warmer.
2015-10-27
Use props
Arvid
lvl.1
Sweden

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-10-25 21:15
-(new layer) Le ...

Here's a picture I took today. I edited the second one a bit and I think it looks a bit better than the original.

http://imgur.com/a/m2hOW
2015-10-27
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Thailand

A lot depends on the camera unit you got with your Phantom, the first one I had was bad, blurry, out of focus, just bad.  After replacing it one of the first shots I took was published in National Geographic, so the camera can produce good enough images if you use the Phantom and the camera correctly.  When shooting stills you don't want to use ND filters, they reduce light and that reduces your shutter speed, you don't want this.  You want the highest shutter speed you can get because your camera is mounted on a shaky, vibrating mechanism.  Camera shake is the number one cause of blurry photos so you need to get as high a shutter speed as you can on your phantom.

Next is processing, my feeling is you need pro tools to get pro images, I use Light Room 6 and process the DNG files very little.  My typical setting for a shot...

Contrast +30
Highlights - pulled all the way down -100
Shadows - pulled allthe way up +100
Adjust white point until just before clipping(alt+slider until clipping appears then back off 10% or so, same with black point
I never add saturation or vibrance
Clarity +30

Noise reduction +26/27 never more than that
No adjusting colors or hues
Lens profile for Phantom selected, remove CA selected

Here is a sample shot...
http://forum.dji.com/thread-34194-1-1.html

2015-10-27
Use props
Arvid
lvl.1
Sweden

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-27 19:15
A lot depends on the camera unit you got with your Phantom, the first one I had was bad, blurry, out ...

Thank you!

Couldn't see your picture though but im gonna look when im on my computer!
2015-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules