Gimbal not working - First day
2306 7 2014-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eric
lvl.1

United States

I just got my Phantom 2 V+ and during my first day I crashed it.  Everything seemed to still work, but now after messing around with the software the camera gimbal doesn't seem to work.  When everything is connected, the camera software reads "Remove Gimbal Clamp".  

If I start the rotors the message goes away but I do not have any control of the camera any more.

Is this a software or a hardware issue?  Does it need to go back to DJI?
2014-12-20
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

Sorry to hear about you problem, but you most likely have broken the gimbal cable during your crash. This is a very common issue with the Vision +. I am surprised you did not break the camera off the gimbal, which seems to happen all the time. You can purchase just the gimbal cable on line if you feel comfortable doing the change out. A new camera/gimbal unit is around $700.00   
2014-12-21
Use props
jamesjeley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello, Have you plugged it into a PC? You can run the calibration software. Mine did that and i Calibrated it. It works but has a few strange movements.
2014-12-21
Use props
eric
lvl.1

United States

jamesjeley@me.c Posted at 2014-12-21 22:50
Hello, Have you plugged it into a PC? You can run the calibration software. Mine did that and i Cali ...

Which calibration software?  The controller from the RC software, then the Quad itself?  Or the IMU? (Whatever that is..)
2014-12-21
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Hard to say if it's a hardware or software issue given the limited information.  When you power on the Phantom does the camera go through it's self test, i.e. any movement up/down, roll, left/right?  With the power on, does the camera maintain a level position when you pick up the Phantom and move it around?
HARDWARE: the shaft holding the camera is on held on by friction and when you crashed it may have twisted the shaft to the point where the sensor is misaligned and it thinks the clamp is still on.
SOFTWARE:  "after messing around with the software..." There have been many reports of camera gimbal problems after running updates or calibrations (myself included).  If you're lucky this may be corrected by following the procedure below:
TRANSMITTER CALIBRATION WITHOUT SOFTWARE
(stand alone, does not use RC System Assistant or Phantom 2 Vision Assistant)
( credit goes to "w-nils" for initially posting this gem to the DJI forum! )

1)  Set switch S2 at the OFF position; Switch S2 at the GPS position

2) Push both the THROTTLE and PITCH stick to the top position and hold them there.

3) Turn on the POWER switch.  You should hear the indicator sound of "Di--Di Di" from the transmitter repeatedly.
    -> Toggle switch S2 into the CL position, you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter, in this case the transmitter has entered the calibration mode.
         (THROTTLE and PITCH stick must have been kept in the top position all during this time)

4)  Release the THROTTLE and PITCH sticks and make sure they return to the center position.
    -> Toggle switch S1 to the bottom ATTI position; you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter.  
    -> Move all of the sticks throughout their complete range several times.
        (for those remotes equipped with a throttle lock this means complete movement through the throttle lock position)
    -> Don't forget to move the GIMBAL CONTROL DIAL through it's complete range of movement as well.
    -> After this, put the THROTTLE stick to the bottom position and toggle switch S2 to the HL position, you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter.  
        In this case the transmitter has been calibrated successfully

5)  Turn transmitter off.

(after this stand alone calibration procedure is completed, you can use the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant software to make any additional adjustments (i.e., the vertical and horizontal limits of a Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal)

GimbalShaftMisligned.gif
TransmitterCalibration - switches.gif
2014-12-21
Use props
eric
lvl.1

United States

I tried the "TRANSMITTER CALIBRATION WITHOUT SOFTWARE" and nothing changed.

When everything is turned on, the camera gimbal just sits there making a repetitive motor buzz noise (not sure how to describe it)

I guess I need to send it in somewhere?  I bought it at the LA Drone show from Aerial Media, I live in Northern California.  Should I send it to Aerial Media, some other shop?
2014-12-21
Use props
rubenmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Norway

It sounds like the gimbal might be broken as you get noise. Then again it might be only the cable as said above and this noise is lack of connection. I have no experience with the V+ Gimbal. It might be its looking for info and not finding it and then making this noise.

Its usually best to ship to where you got it as long as its not a special issue that DJI want to take care of.
2014-12-21
Use props
jamesjeley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-22 03:12
Hard to say if it's a hardware or software issue given the limited information.  When you power on t ...

OH MY WORD! YOU GOT MY DODGY GIMBAL WORKINGS SMOOTH!

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!
2014-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules