MP4 format
4845 22 2015-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenzo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94964 ft
Italy

I noticed that the videos saved on the SD card of my P3P have a problem with the MP4 format, it does not seem to be a universal standard

All the app video editing  I installed on my Tablet, do not read MP4 of SD.

I initially thought that the problem was on the resolution, but after several tests, I can say that is not so.

MP4 video is not saved in standard format or universal mode.

Any MP4 video, made with other devices, action camera sony, smatphone,go-pro, ecc.., is played by my app without problems.

Also the copy that P3P saves on my device is played without problems.....why ??? I not understand

The P3P saves in SD video to MP4 that is not compatible with many app video editing.

Some idea ?
Thanks

2015-11-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

First, one little point, the version saved to your device is not the same as saved on the SD card. It is sent via Lightbridge in 720p format, so is significantly lower resolution.

On the main point, if you are shooting in 4K, then it is very likely that your tablet cannot handle it, in fact very few computers will these days. I would suggest that the problem is the devices you are playing the file on, not the file format itself, otherwise there would be a thousand screaming customers on here complaining about it.

I have a fairly high spec computer dedicated to editing video material, and even that computer has some difficulty playing 4K material. But it will do it with a good editing program.
2015-11-4
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha kenzo,

What Geebax says above is probably your problem.  But, do be aware that there is also a codec issue.  The h.264 codec is the one that allows SD cards, tablets and computers to record and play 4K, 2K and other HD videos.  This codec is used in MP4 and .mov recordings.  Sometimes it has to be specified. Even some SMART phones and tablets use the h.264 codec but modified for the small screens.

BTW, the PowerDVD movie software plays 2K & 4K flawlessly and if you have enough processor and RAM (for good video editing) it will allow you to zoom in on a 2K or 4K video while it is playing on a computer screen.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

kenzo, you would of try to use .MOV format as well, i'm pretty sure it can solve the issue
2015-11-4
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

Hello Geebax and Cetaman,
thanks for your answer, probably (due to my bad english) I not have  expressed well :-(  I'm sorry
I try to explain better
My tablet plays well all the MP4 video (4K, HD, etc. Etc.)
Is not problem of player !!
I refer to all the app video editing required to make small video editing (trim and add music) normally run any MP4 of any resolution, but not MP4 DJI
When you use a video MP4 any work done by other video recorders, can run smoothly (regardless of the resolution)
I think this is a different codec that uses only the P3P
Example:
-Video 4k MP4 Go-Pro, I can do with my editing app, without problems
-Video 4k MP4 S6 , Also editing without problems
-Video 4K my sony cam, Also editing without problems
As I said it is not a problem for a resolution, in fact (on my P3P) even when I select a lower resolution, the SD video is not read from my editing app.
So it is obvious that the MP4 codec DJI is unlike any other
I hope I have explained well
I included wrong photo :-(  
however, I hope I have explained well

mp4.jpg
2015-11-4
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

Hello Tim
I tried both format MOV and MP4
but the problem remains
2015-11-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'The P3P saves in SD video to MP4 that is not compatible with many app video editing.'

The MP4 file is a standard H264 file, and the evidence is against you, because the vast majority of people here can play the file and can edit it. While MOV is another option, it is really only a different wrapper for the file. Try playing the file on a real computer, not a tablet. In you above example, MediaInfo is correctly identifying the files, I don't see a problem.
2015-11-5
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

the photo I posted before is not related MP4 but MOV, as I said I was wrong.

MP4 shown in "other" refers  smartphone

Sending pictures correct, If you look MP4 DJI has a different codec (JVT)

I know that editing should be done with the PC, but on my tablet I can play any MP4, MP4 dji just does not play,
so different from standard
Screenshot.jpg.png
2015-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha kenzo,

You may be on to something.  The DJI MP4 is not a H.264 codec.  I never noticed it before because I use other programs to edit my videos.

Geebax, the MP4 can be a H.264 codec or a JVT codec and others.  There are a couple dozen in Davinci Resolve 12 for Quicktime (.mov) alone.  I think I got to Google this.  But Quicktime offers the H.264 codec;  .avi does not.  I should run one of my GoPro videos through Davinci Resolve 12 to see what codec it uses.  (My phone appears to use its own modified codec, so that is useless.)

I do not use the DJI Go app to edit my videos because it takes forever to charge my tablet.  (That is another reason why I would like DJI to come out with a Windows version of DJI Go.)  On the other hand, it exposes me to a broader experience with editing videos.  Hopefully, that helps this discussion.

As I like to say kenzo - persevere!  You are learning plenty every day; as are all of us.  I know I am!  I think that is why we enjoy this so much!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-5
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

Hi Cetaman
thanks for your support, you understood... what I meant :-)
Yes...I like to explore topics and understand, and I think the forum used to share experience, this is certainly useful for software developers
This morning I did some tests, the photo clearly shows that DJI uses a non-standard format MPG4.

It would be helpful and much appreciated that DJI you change and solve this problem :-)
MPG4.dji.jpg
2015-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kenzo Posted at 2015-11-5 03:28
Hi Cetaman
thanks for your support, you understood... what I meant :-)
Yes...I like to explore topic ...

Aloha kenzo,

Do you have another means to edit your videos or do you depend on DJI?  I have three or four video editing programs and one or two were free.  Until this gets resolved, you could download the free version of Davinci Resolve 12.  (Plus it sounds Italian!)  It even comes with superb colorization.  It has the H.264 codec (and a couple dozen others) and is straight-forward to use.  Remember to download the free version.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-6
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

hello Cetaman,
I  appreciate always your comments :-) sure, I have opportunity to do editing on my PC, but is not this the problem and mine is not a whim :-)
For this I want to clarify the meaning of my request,

Having the ability to make video editing easy and fast with a tablet, is very useful when you are out and you want to publish a short video, when you consider that our videos are often made outside  of our location, mountain, sea etc. . I think it is useful to make short and simple video editing.
As shown, MP4 dji is different from the standard, I think it useful to correct this characteristic, and do not see any difficulty for this.
It should also be noted that it is not consistent for the software developer, use two different formats

-MP4 Saved in device is an MP4 (Base media)
-MP4 Saved on SD is a MP4 (JVT)

This is no logic !!  
Otherwise it would be appropriate for the software developer, explains the reasons for this choice, do not you think ??
2015-11-6
Use props
RozBujnik
lvl.2

Canada

Kenzo, I sympathize with you, as the same happens to me: DJI MP4 4K files saved to SD card on the bird play beautifully on my laptop, tablet, and smartphone, but won't play on any of my brand new media players and blue ray players. I have to convert them to MP4 h.264 codec (yep, seemingly the same, but apparently not) in order to play on the latter devices. It's frustrating, and I have found no other solution.
2015-11-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I hesitated to post again on this subject, but it is driving me nuts. MediaInfo has identified the stream as an MPEG-4 stream, the JVT name after it is simply the name of the author of the codec embedded in the stream. You label it as 'Non Standard', but why? What evidence do you have that it is not standard? None...

The DJI file is very highly compressed in order to be able to record 4K material on a fairly standard SD card, and it is inevitable that some players will not handle it. But that does NOT mean there is anything non-standard about the file, nor does it mean that DJI has to do anything about it. If it was non-standard then there would be a thousand people on this forum screaming about it.
2015-11-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-6 15:22
I hesitated to post again on this subject, but it is driving me nuts. MediaInfo has identified the s ...

Aloha Geebax,

You may be right and to the effect that the compatible devices listed by DJI are those that can run the JVT MPEG 4.  My own Android device is not specifically listed in the DJI list and that may be why I have the problem.  Kenzo, is your device listed as compatible with the DJi Go app at the DJI download site?  RozBujnik, is yours?  

If they are not listed, this may be why and Geebax makes an interesting point.  If they are listed as compatible, then Kenzo may have a point. and DJI might want to look at the problem.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-6
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

Hi Geebax, Cetaman
well ... I'm not an expert in video formats .... but my last picture I think is clear,
all video MP4 from each device (sony,canon,nikon,gopro,jvc ,samusing,apple,ecc.ecc. are reproduced from my app video editing without problems !!
if the video MP4 DJI behaves differently from ALL other device  I think we can say that the MP4 DJI is not standard
would be  sufficient an response from DJI .. :-)
in the meantime placed a video of my city :-)

2015-11-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kenzo Posted at 2015-11-7 00:01
Hi Geebax, Cetaman
well ... I'm not an expert in video formats .... but my last picture I think is  ...

Aloha kenzo,

The new P3 User Manual came out on the third this month and in the Specifications for the Camera in the Appendix it says:

Supported File Formats     FAT32/exFAT     Photo: JPEG, DNG     Video: MP4/MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264

This is the same spec as the older manual.

I wonder if there is a setting we are missing for the video options selection in the DJI Go app?

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-8
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

Aloha Cetaman
probably , but I think  that ......(maybe I'm wrong I'm not sure)
which the format about storage on SD depend from firmware in main board inside P3P
and app DJI Go about the format saved on the device

you what think ?? :-)
2015-11-9
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kenzo Posted at 2015-11-9 01:21
Aloha Cetaman
probably , but I think  that ......(maybe I'm wrong I'm not sure)
which the format abo ...

Aloha kenzo,

There are three computers in the P3 network.  The P3 computer is the second slave after the first slave - the RC.  The controlling computer is inside the device (tablet, phone) that has the DJI Go app on it.  The RC and device are cabled.  The P3 is obviously radio connected to the network.

When a P3 SD card is formatted, the device computer sends formatting commands directly to the RC via the cable and radioed to the P3 to format the card.  But the formatting done in this case is to detect the existing format on the card and use the existing format program (software) on the SD card to reformat the SD card.  If you want to format the SD card in exFAT (the primary iOS format) you have to use a computer that gives you the choice of using FAT32 or exFAT.  Most default formats are FAT32, so you have to specify the exFAT format in the computer when you format the SD card.  The exFAT format allows larger files than FAT32 so your video is not interrupted when recording.

We are having strong trade winds right now with some unpredictable rain, so flying is not so good.  I plan to look for the codec (video format) selection when I fly again.  They say it should get better this weekend.

May I say, that you live in a beautiful and photogenic city.  But IMHO, posting 720p videos do not do justice to Turin.  I know it takes way longer to upload, but recording video in 1080p starts to do justice.  Maybe if you do the uploads at night, it will not be such a bother.  My videos take 1 to 4 hours and completely tie up the bandwidth of my Internet.  No one uses it at night and I am sleeping most of the time.  Just a suggestion, cuz the details in your high resolution videos really show off Turin.  I love looking at the details.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-11
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

Ciao Cetaman
thanks for the info, all very clear
sure...., movies at 720p is very poor, but no I had much time to video editing, as soon as possible insert more videos in 4K,
I am pleased that you like turin.
good Sunday

ciao Kenzo
2015-11-15
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I know this sounds a little dumb... but do you press stop before shutting down the Phantom 3?
If you don't press stop and shut down the Phantom 3, then the video on the Phantom will not finalise and show up as corrupt and will NOT play back.

Try recording a short video while the phantom is grounded. Make sure you press stop and then power down the P3. Take the SD card out and try playing that video back on the PC. if successful, try your editing software...

2015-11-15
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

i believe Italy uses the PAL video format. mAke sure your Phantom video format is set PAL. And try that . 25 fps.
2015-11-15
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Italy

we are discussing another issue,
please read the whole discussion :-)
2015-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now