FAT32 / ExFAT for SD card
10343 18 2015-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonesuki
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1395669 ft
Hong Kong

Recordings are automatically splitted into another file when the file size reaches 4GB (recording time reaches 9mins 20secs).
From the P3P user manual, P3P is supposed to support ExFAT which no longer have the 4GB per file limit.

May I know how can I format the SD card into ExFAT instead of FAT32?

I tried to format the card using DJI GO and it always formatted as FAT32. I also tried to format it on my Mac to ExFAT and create the DCIM folder mannually, but the card is no longer recognized.

Thanks
2015-11-6
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

You cannot change the way it works. The Phantom does not support exfat. It is only FAT32. It is what it is, there is no problem with the split files. I rarely use clips that long anyways. They may change that with a future upgrade but current system is Fat32.

Alan
2015-11-6
Use props
jag01usn
lvl.3
United States

Sorry Alan, the Phantom 3  and A/P does support exfat file system. I'm using it and it tell that in the manual in Appendix under Storage.
2015-11-6
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-6
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P3 supports both FAT32 and FAT64 (exFAT). The P3 expects SD Cards 16GB and smaller to be formatted as FAT32. SD Cards 32GB and larger are expected to be formatted as exFAT (FAT64). This is how the P3 formats SD Cards when you use the quad to format them. When you format the SD Card on you PC/MAC as anything other than what is expected by the P3, the quad will warn you of the format error. Many recommend that you format SD Cards using the P3 instead of your MAC/PC... Formatting on the P3 will automatically create the DCIM and hidden MISC folders for you...

2015-11-6
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-6
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

I have a 32gb card. I formatted that in exfat on my pic. When I put it back in the phantom, while the phantom is able to write to it I.e store vide and stuff, the dji app does display a small warning on the screen that sad card format is suggested.
If I format the card in the p3, will it or should it format it in exfat ?
2015-11-6
Use props
quikdom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I formatted a SanDisk class 4 32gb card in the P3P and its killed it.
2015-11-7
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

quikdom Posted at 2015-11-7 19:12
I formatted a SanDisk class 4 32gb card in the P3P and its killed it.

Class 10 is the minimum requirement for the SD card you use in your P3.
2015-11-7
Use props
jennings93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

Even if you use exfat the camera will create a new file at the 4gb limit. In most digital still/video cameras this will only happen at 29min.This is a design feature to avoid a EEC tax on video cameras.
DJI need to improve their software to allow at least 25 minutes of continuous video,equal to the maximum flight time. In my use of the Phantom 3 I need maximum continuous recording time.
2015-11-7
Use props
jennings93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

Even if you use exfat the camera will create a new file at the 4gb limit. In most digital still/video cameras this will only happen at 29min.This is a design feature to avoid a EEC tax on video cameras.
DJI need to improve their software to allow at least 25 minutes of continuous video,equal to the maximum flight time. In my use of the Phantom 3 I need maximum continuous recording time.
2015-11-7
Use props
jonesuki
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Thanks for all the reply.
I just tested with my 64GB micro SD card and P3P format it as ExFAT.
Further testing is required to see if the file will automatically split at 4GB.
Update will be posted later...
2015-11-8
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

jonesuki Posted at 2015-11-8 11:52
I just tested with my 64GB micro SD card and P3P format it as ExFAT. :vict ...

Just remember that the 4gb file size is a limitation of a 32 bit architecture from the Windows 95 days.

The problem with ExFat is that sector sizes are increased. If you take a photo and even write a text file, any data in that cluster/sector counts as that cluster being full of data. Might not sound like much, but think about sending a text message that 's only 1 or 2 kb in size. All those little files add up.

FAT32 cluster/sector sizes are 16kb for volumes up to 32 gb. Larger volumes aren't supported. ExFAT cluster/sector sizes are 128kb on volumes of 32 gb or larger.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/140365   
2015-11-8
Use props
jonesuki
lvl.4
Hong Kong

gregg1r Posted at 2015-11-9 01:13
Just remember that the 4gb file size is a limitation of a 32 bit architecture from the Windows 95  ...

Thanks gregg1r for the reminder. Given the micro SD card is mainly for relatively large files (photos and videos), I think the effect of wasting space due to larger cluster size is negligible.
2015-11-16
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

jonesuki Posted at 2015-11-8 06:52

Aloha jonesuki,

When jag mentioned the exFAT format protocol in another thread a while ago, I immediately (well as immediate as we do anything in Hawai'i) used my computer to format my 64GB SD cards as exFAT.  Then, I formatted them again in the P3 before the flight.  Everything has worked so far, but I have not been recording 4K where the broken files was a problem, so my problem has not been tested.  When I flew tonight after dark, I did not record, even though the camera was finally set to 4K (I mean it was dark after all).  If the weather holds tomorrow I will finally have a chance to test my file system.  I sure hope it works!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-19
Use props
jonesuki
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Cetaman Posted at 2015-11-19 17:03
Aloha jonesuki,

When jag mentioned the exFAT format protocol in another thread a while ago,  ...

Thanks Cetaman, looking forward to your test result and beautiful scenery in Hawaii!
2015-11-19
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jonesuki Posted at 2015-11-18 23:16
Thanks Cetaman, looking forward to your test result and beautiful scenery in Hawaii!

Aloha jonesuki,

The weather is junk over here right now, so no flying.  Bummer!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-20
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jonesuki Posted at 2015-11-18 23:16

Aloha jonesuki,

The weather is still junk over here right now, so no flying.  Bummer!  I am getting withdrawals!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-20
Use props
jonesuki
lvl.4
Hong Kong

jonesuki Posted at 2015-11-9 00:52

Unfortunately, I can now confirm that video recorded is automatically split after 9 mins 21 secs, even the micro SD is in ExFAT format.

Would DJI please fix this problem (or at least provide an option of whether files are split automatically at 4GB)? It is easier to manage, view and edit the video. Thanks.
2015-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules