H3-3D Bricks again with firmware update 1.12
3146 13 2014-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Man I've just about had it with this product.

My H3-3D goes bad so, like a genius, I Purchase another one. I receive and install it. Powers up fine then PT2 tells be there's an update. Do the update and...boom. Brand new out of the box gimbal..bricked. It's not even been flown. (This is the second firmware update that's bricked two of my gimbals)

Yes, I've "re-flashed" the gimbal and re-updated the firmware. A total of 11 times. Nothing. I've followed the "don't click 0k" when it says to power cycle trick. Nothing. I'm done with the gimbal "tricks". You know like, "try it on a pc instead of a mac." OR "Don't click the OK after it tell you to power cycle." OR "take a paperclip, touch the two points to reset the gimbal..." Maybe chanting while dancing in a circle and waving a crow's foot. What an absolute joke.

DJI what is going on?!  Fed up.
2014-12-22
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56585 ft
Latvia

Maybe it is possible to downgrade firmware? I think this all isuess is new firmware fault...  I realli dont now what to do, because i already have this problem with glitching and twitching gimbal... i have lot of projects and i need my drone to film
DJI SHAME ON YOU !!!! I SPEND LOT OF MONEY FOR THIS DRONE AND GIMBAL...
2014-12-24
Use props
jrbob2
lvl.1

United States

Hopefully GoPro's drone will be out shortly and we can give them our money.:@
2014-12-24
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

jrbob2 Posted at 2014-12-25 01:27
Hopefully GoPro's drone will be out shortly and we can give them our money.

Something needs to happen.

I think a little competition would promote better testing, product performance and easier fixes to inherent issues with sophisticated electronics. That said, my iPhone has never bricked when updating firmware. Both my DSLR cameras never bricked when updating firmware. Nothing I own bricks when updating firmware other than the DJI H3-3D gimbal. I mean heck, even some Phantom 2 smart batteries bricked with it's latest firmware update.

After purchasing my second Phantom I've realize that as sophisticated as it is...amazingly it's not yet an exact science. Any serious Phantom owner and aerial shooter knows about all the little After Market tweaks, tricks and DYI methods we go through to get "perfect results." I'm good with that and actually enjoy the tweaking in the garage stuff.. But when I have to use scissors to zap my gimbal when it goes limp from a firmware update, or borrow a pc instead of using my mac for firmware updates, OR don't hit OK when it tells you to power cycle - it feels like I'm constantly dealing with beta version hacks from someones garage shop. For gods sake these are 101 testing errors that should have been ironed out WAY before releasing to the public.

So yeah. Competition tends to make folks get off their butts and "Fix" things before they start loosing their once loyal market share.

DJI if you're listening please take an initiative. I was happy.... no.... thrilled with my first Phantom 2/H3-3D set up. So thrilled I purchased a complete other set up with another Phantom 2, H3-3D, FPV Monitor, AVL58 systems (Regular and Lite). Now I've got a brand new dead gimbal on its way back for an exchange.  I'm no longer happy. When I get the other new gimbal I'll need to update the firmware as I have the upgraded controller with the tilt wheel. So, what happens when this second new gimbal bricks after the update? I start looking for alternatives to DJI Innovations for my aerial video needs. Please don't misunderstand me. This is in no way a threat. It's simple marketing. People buy what works, works well and keeps working.
2014-12-25
Use props
christopherbje
New

Norway

Me to, baffled by djis lack of respect for their customers, seems they nailed a couple of things, in the beginning, then grew too big and all quality assurance went out the window. Me too on the second bricked zen muze, got the new one, tried it but it produced weird wobbly artifacts in the image, so noting else to try but running the update,, and voila! another brick.
2014-12-25
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

christopherbje@ Posted at 2014-12-26 03:59
Me to, baffled by djis lack of respect for their customers, seems they nailed a couple of things, in ...

Were you able to factory reset the gimbal, successfully load the firmware and everything back to normal? Or is you gimbal still bricked? I have a 2nd new gimbal on the way soon and I'm not sure what I should do.
2014-12-26
Use props
christopherbje
New

Norway

No, it never came back to life, it does feed power through to the gopro, and makes a very faint hum,, thats all, reset does nothing, but there are no leds anywhere to begin with.
2014-12-26
Use props
andreasm.1985
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36831 ft
Germany

I had the same problem with firmware update 1.12.

Here is a recovery tutorial to reset the firmware gimbal.
Have you already tried?

PM provided the following way to reset firmware:
1. jumper the 2 dots in the picture below using tweezers.
2. power on phantom3. remove tweezers when you see red and yellow LED on together.
4. connect to assistant software to re-upgrade.
5. recalibrate the compass
2014-12-27
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56585 ft
Latvia

I send back my gimbal to dealer today...  
2014-12-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

andreasm.1985@g Posted at 2014-12-27 16:13

Here is a recovery tutorial to reset the firmwar ...

Yep, great video tutorial.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I used this exact reset method for a total of eleven (11)  times. The gimbal worked when I first powered up after the install. But when I upgraded the firmware it was dead. The gimbal never showed up after 11 resets, updates and power cycles. I've had to do this before with another gimbal. Took three times but the third time it finally came up in the assistant sorfware. Not the case with the latest gimbal. Brand new and dead.

Still... this a pathetic way to get your equipment to work right. Technically this kind of tinkering voids your DJI warranty. And here it is as a solution on the DJI forum! I guess the DJI warranty doesn't really come to play. From what I've been able to see, DJI C.S. is so bad most of us try to deal directly with the Dealers. Everyone seems to bypass DJI all together if possible as returning/fixing any thing with them takes weeks or months to get resolved. (I've still not received response from 2 inquiries I sent to DJI. One of which was almost a month ago.)

Thanks for posting the info though. Some may have better luck as DJI equipment is faulty enough that sometimes, by pure luck, the reset trick just works! Unforutunately the reset trick isn't ever a 100% fix to this problem. It was never meant to be I suspect. I believe it was something leaked or accidentally found. And then tried by consumers like us out of pure desperation as JDI isn't in any hurry to help or resolve problems once the product has been paid for.
2014-12-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

kaselsk@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-27 22:41
I send back my gimbal to dealer today...

Good. Hopefully you'll get a new one that works. These returns will start stacking up.

What would DJI do if say the Dealers told them, "Uhhh... We don't want to carry this product of yours any more. It costs us too much in returned merchandise, return postage and man power to to process and resolve all the defective returns."

I'll bet that gimbal and firmware would start working together better...... real quick.
2014-12-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

andreasm.1985@g Posted at 2014-12-27 16:13

Here is a recovery tutorial to reset the firmwar ...

In your steps 4 to 5 what exactly did you do? At step 4 are you uploading the new firmware and then immediately going to step 5 by recalibrating the compass? Or are you just connecting to the assistant software (step 4) meaning to upload the firmware BUT choosing to recalibrate the compass (step 5) instead or before uploading firmware? Please be more specific about exactly what you did along each of you 5 steps. This could help some of us.
2014-12-27
Use props
andreasm.1985
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36831 ft
Germany

From my memory, my way was this:

1. Connect Phantom 2 with dead Gimbal to computer
2. Power off Phantom 2
3. Use a paperclip, jumper the 2 dots
4. My Brother switch on the Phantom 2
5. I see the red and yellow LED together, removed the paperclip
6. Open DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant 3.6 on the computer
7. The Gimbal Update 1.12 appears
8. I click Update
9. The Messages with "Power off" appears, i turn the Phantom 2 off
10. Turn the Phantom 2 on again
11. The Gimbal make now the start calibrating and in the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant 3.6 App the Gimbal is showing again

2014-12-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

andreasm.1985@g Posted at 2014-12-28 08:58
From my memory, my way was this:

1. Connect Phantom 2 with dead Gimbal to computer

Thanks much
2014-12-28
Use props