Gimbal and camera got wet
9728 10 2015-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drones De Venez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 82638 ft
Venezuela

Now I 'm using an incandescent lamp with care and put near silica gel . Somebody had a  experience about?
Thank you

WetCam2.JPG
WetCam1.JPG
2015-11-7
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

It appears you had a major crash and damaged the gimbal. Let it dry for several days if not a week and try to see if it works.
2015-11-7
Use props
jag01usn
lvl.3
United States

You may have water marks also after it dries. Might want to take the back off to let air in to help dry faster, same with the main gimbal board housing.
2015-11-8
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is a great fix for your issue. Use a container that the Gimbal and Camera will fit in and fill it with dry uncooked Rice. Let it sit for a couple of days in the sealed container. The Rice will absorb any moisture. I do this to repair Radios that have been soaked with water.
2015-11-8
Use props
tomd62
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16952 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-11-8 06:45
Here is a great fix for your issue. Use a container that the Gimbal and Camera will fit in and fill  ...

Take it all apart if you trust yourself with tiny screws. I use an ice cube tray as an organizer.
Blow out all the boards with a can of 'aero duster' and then put them in ziplocs with dry silica gel packs.
(you can bake the packs at 250 for an hour or two to dry them out, store in a sealed bag)
Don't try to remove the ribbon cable completely at the gimbal , it's glued, but you can open up the camera
and carefully clean the optics with 'thin film cleaner' (available at camera stores)
Remember how it all came apart, take pictures with your cellphone if you have poor mechanical memory.
Get some DeOxIt gold lubricant for the connectors when you re-assemble, put it on with a toothpick to all contact surfaces.
2015-11-8
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tomd62 Posted at 2015-11-9 00:26
Take it all apart if you trust yourself with tiny screws. I use an ice cube tray as an organizer.

I'll stick with the Rice. I am not going to take any Camera apart. If it were that bad the Phantom would be taking a journey to DJI.
2015-11-9
Use props
RozBujnik
lvl.2

Canada

My bird went swimming, and here's how I rescued her: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... id=27834&page=1
2015-11-9
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

If you want to take it apart...
2015-11-9
Use props
dronesdevenezue
lvl.1

Venezuela

rodger Posted at 2015-11-9 08:44
I'll stick with the Rice. I am not going to take any Camera apart. If it were that bad the Phantom ...

Fixed and dry . Maybe another day I gone a  clean the lens
CamDry.jpg
2015-11-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-11-8 02:45
Here is a great fix for your issue. Use a container that the Gimbal and Camera will fit in and fill  ...

Aloha Roger,

We do that a lot here in Hawai'i.  In this case, it would be useful if Venezuela took off the lens cap.  It is just a filter cap and comes off easy.  Just make sure it is tight when you put it back on.

Also, unless it fell in distilled water, jag's comment about water spots will probably require that the lens cap come off anyway to remove the spots.  The longer the spots are allowed to dry, the harder they will be to remove, so doing it at the beginning allows water drops to be removed (speeding up the drying process) and clean-up is easier.  

There is no need to get rice inside the camera since that will make clean-up harder.  So place the camera and gimgal carefully so rice and small debris do not get inside.  That dry, uncooked rice does a great job and it is real cheap.

roger, should we tell them to use Calrose or Hinode rice?  The kine for rice cooker?

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-12
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-11-13 02:40
Aloha Roger,

We do that a lot here in Hawai'i.  In this case, it would be useful if Venezuel ...

Guess we just did? True on the Lens Cap. Remove that also and a nice cleaning. The cap, if on when it took the dive most likely will need a cleaning. True that it is just glass and not a filter. I use Nikon Lens Spray and Lens Tissue.
2015-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules