So it finally happened
2717 24 2015-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

Took off with my P3P. battery was 98% and weather good with wind max gust at 25.4 km/h ( according to healthydrones analyzes) at hight 35m. I knew that i would not be able to see the craft as it was in a built up area so i followed the flight on the tablet screen. then it happenned, about 5 minutes into the flight, everything that could go red did and the lady started screaming connection lost, the Litchi lady, then she started screaming low battery and the battery voltaged also turned red. she screamed the craft is landing. My heart stopped beating! how is it possible? my battery was fully charged. where is it now landing? then i saw a message appearing on the screen "going home" i kept my eyes on the sky and yes there it is! connection was restored and the battery was now indicating 82% I could control the flight, but one thing was sure it came home and it intend to land by force. I steered it and allowed it to land. then i checked the Healthy drones website analyses and one thing i can now assure everybody if your craft is on higher altidute than the home altitude it does not go down to the home altitude, it stays on the last altitude it was on and return home. scary feeling it was.

2015-11-10
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.2

United States

hahahaha it started to "SCREAM"?! lol glad you recovered it without any issues or loss
2015-11-10
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

americanrawlins Posted at 2015-11-10 18:49
hahahaha it started to "SCREAM"?! lol glad you recovered it without any issues or loss

hahaha well i guess she was just talking as usual, but the situation was good for screaming ha ha. I have always wondered what would happen and am happy to say the craft's software is doing great. the APP is confusing the issue a little.
2015-11-10
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I knew that i would not be able to see the craft as it was in a built up area so" and wind max gust at "24.5 km/h"
I never fly unless there's a clear line of sight between me and the bird. RF signals need this.
Why tempt fate?
2015-11-10
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-11-10 22:30
"I knew that i would not be able to see the craft as it was in a built up area so" and wind max gust ...

Agree with you and also try to keep a line of sight, but sometimes one has to take a picture or 2 in an impossible place. and yes the wind was a little much up there.
2015-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Fly @higher altitude, if there are Any obstructions about the flight area.
But above all, when things take a turn, stay calm, and don't panic.
I know, been there and done that. Then you hear it above, look up, and
"Boom, there it is" hahaha
Love a happy ending. & You get to fly another day. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-11-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Good to hear the happy ending. Yes, if you are higher than your RTH altitude it will come back at the higher altitude.
2015-11-10
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Keep forcing yourself into bad situations, then when a real bad situation comes, you would be as cool as a cucumber to handle it.
2015-11-10
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-11-11 10:49
Keep forcing yourself into bad situations, then when a real bad situation comes, you would be as coo ...

Or...you'll buy a lot of Phantoms
2015-11-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Oh that's scary! !  I' glad you got out of this safe!{:3_45:}
2015-11-10
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-11 00:20
Fly @higher altitude, if there are Any obstructions about the flight area.
But above all, when thin ...

Good advice. I can see you have been there ha ha
2015-11-11
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-11 08:27
Oh that's scary! !  I' glad you got out of this safe!

Thank you Tim
2015-11-11
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-11-11 03:49
Keep forcing yourself into bad situations, then when a real bad situation comes, you would be as coo ...

very good advice. Staying cool is very important.
2015-11-11
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

draadkar Posted at 2015-11-11 04:55
very good advice. Staying cool is very important.

Yesterday I flew down sort of an alley - and back - safely. When I showed my wife the video she said she thought I was getting braver. Ironically, I told a guy who was watching me that it was perhaps the first time I flew my Phantom without my heart in my throat!

Fifty or sixty flights worth of experience goes a long way toward remaining cool when things even start to look dicey. And that experience also helps you to remember to scope things out before you even launch your bird!

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-11-11
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-11-11 23:14
Yesterday I flew down sort of an alley - and back - safely. When I showed my wife the video she sa ...

Thanks for sharing. I agree that scoping out the area is very important especially when it is a heavily built up area. However the big upset is the high interference in some areas and i do not know how to overcome that at this time.
2015-11-11
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

draadkar Posted at 2015-11-11 22:34
Thanks for sharing. I agree that scoping out the area is very important especially when it is a he ...

recon and emergency landing location possibilities. You can do a wifi analysis first during the same timeframe you'd be doing your flight at to see what typical noise floors are during that time for the frequencies you'll be using.
2015-11-12
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

draadkar Posted at 2015-11-12 01:34
Thanks for sharing. I agree that scoping out the area is very important especially when it is a he ...

The "alley" I mentioned was between two buildings (a former elementary school) that's no longer in use, so interference from other electronics was not an issue.

I live in a pretty small town and have virtually never flown in either the downtown or more densely populated areas. I have an amateur radio rig in my truck. Driving through the downtown area with the radio on provides proof positive of the existing interference there. Glad I live in a rather quiet residential neighborhood with buried utilities.

I'm less worried about RFI to my amateur station than to my quads, but interference is still a possibility. The great majority of my flying )both Phantom and Chroma) have been done mostly in a couple of local parks.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-11-12
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-11-13 02:49
The "alley" I mentioned was between two buildings (a former elementary school) that's no longer in ...

I have changed my strategy. It is better to do a way point flight first at a safe height (48m) and not farther than 1.8km around. then i watch the the video to identify obstacles. then the second way point flight i adjust the altitude where it is safe to go down and give it the points of interest i want and eventually take snapshots from the video. This way the craft is on its own and does not need the remote controller.
2015-11-12
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

draadkar Posted at 2015-11-13 00:33
I have changed my strategy. It is better to do a way point flight first at a safe height (48m) and ...

In the moderately small town where I live there's a "city park." The pond is a couple of hundred yards across and pretty much round. I took some videos one day. Wasn't really happy with them. Went back a few days later and more or less walked around the pond, following my quad. Happier, but not really satisfied.

Went back yet again and took about 25 minutes worth of video. Edited everything into about a 15-minute video, which I've now decided is far too long. Oh well. In the meantime, I've really learned a lot about how to control both the Phantom and the camera angle!

Art - N4PJ
Leesubrg, FL
2015-11-13
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

So now ask yourself... do you have more confidant flying yourself or allowing the craft to do it all for you. Learn to fly in Atti mode...this means you're in charge... and then if you get in trouble flip it into gps mode for a moment so it will settle down while you gather your thoughts and can take a breath and re gather your thoughts and orientation... Don't always rely on the automatic features... automatic takes away You're control. After all, you want to be in control, otherwise watch someone else fly.
2015-11-16
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

gustofusion Posted at 2015-11-16 16:47
So now ask yourself... do you have more confidant flying yourself or allowing the craft to do it all ...

I like the way you think, but let us look at my situation. I am in Nigeria and not only is it hard to get the P3P here, but it is costing about double what you guys pay. then if really I wanted to fly it i could have bought something a lot cheaper and then honed my skills in flying. However i see my P3P as a platform to get me the pictures i need and it is a lot safer to let the craft do what it does best. After all it was designed to be a robot rather than to be controlled and it is good at that.
2015-11-16
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

brycerichert good advice just wondering what specific device are you using to determine the noise floor? Spectrum analyzer model?
2015-11-16
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

jack1144 Posted at 2015-11-16 22:14
brycerichert good advice just wondering what specific device are you using to determine the noise fl ...

you should click the reply on his post else he will not know to answer
2015-11-16
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

draadkar Posted at 2015-11-16 16:51
you should click the reply on his post else he will not know to answer

draadkar  hey thanks for the tip
2015-11-16
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

brycerichert Posted at 2015-11-12 03:28
recon and emergency landing location possibilities. You can do a wifi analysis first during the sa ...

brycerichert good advice just wondering what specific device are you using to determine the noise floor? Spectrum analyzer model?
2015-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules