Firmware Update
1996 11 2015-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carsenault.apm
lvl.1

Canada

My DJI go APP is warning me to update my firmware is this necessary or can I just leave the firmware I have?  My Phantom 3 has been working fine all along and I am reading rumors that the new firmware won't allow you to fly within 5 miles of an Airport?  Is that true?
2015-11-12
Use props
carsenault.apm
lvl.1

Canada

So I decided to go on the DJI website anyway and check it out and there was no new firmware updates to download?  Anyone know why my APP is telling me to update when there are no new firmware to download?
2015-11-12
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-12
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you will find that it is an update that is applied from your tablet. Be sure to have an Internet connection when you go ahead with the update. I have done mine and have had no issues whatsoever. Rumors are usually just that. If there is an issue you will see it posted here from one of the DJI Guys.
2015-11-12
Use props
carsenault.apm
lvl.1

Canada

I guess it is an update for the RC direct from the tablet but I'm still curious if it's going to limit were I can fly...(i.e. 5 miles from any aerodrome)
2015-11-12
Use props
IMI193 (RI,USA)
lvl.3

United States

carsenault.apm Posted at 2015-11-12 10:29
I guess it is an update for the RC direct from the tablet but I'm still curious if it's going to lim ...

I have never seen it, but I think limitations like that are already included when you fly in GPS mode, I think if you switch to Atti mode they are not active. I'm sure someone else will come along explain it better.
2015-11-12
Use props
RozBujnik
lvl.2

Canada

I rooted my Android devices to stop dji from connecting to the internet to bug me about updates. Don't tempt your luck. On the other hand most folks have no complaints
2015-11-12
Use props
Chuck1906
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3574003 ft
United States

I have not updated mine to the version that does the new features like follow me and orbit. That was September when that update came out and I am still using the update that came before that one. Now I do have a question, if I don't upgrade the Phantom or RC, does it make any sense to upgrade the DJI Go App because I do have one ready to be downloaded? The main reason I have not updated the firmware is because I keep hearing people having problems after they updated like loss of video signal for monitoring on your device and I also just read some people claim the flight distances are shortened after ever update. Not sure if that one is true or not.
2015-11-12
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

If you like it the way it is, then leave it alone.

Mine fly's just fine so Im not updating it - ever !!!!  It does everything I need.
2015-11-12
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

The update is for the RC...and there have always been "no fly zones" programmed into the DJI firmware.  It is not 5 miles though.  It depends on what "class" the airport is.  SFO international has a 5 mile no fly zone, but its 5 miles when you are over 900 to 1000 feet up, it's only 2.5 miles if you're under 400 feet.  There is an explanation of this somewhere on the DJI website...
2015-11-12
Use props
tdrussell1
lvl.1

United States

I'm fascinated by this paranoia about updating firmware.  Firmware updates contain great feature and safety enhancements, improved control logic, failsafe monitoring...why in the world wouldn't you want to update?  Flight zone restrictions have always been included, so that's moot.
2015-11-12
Use props
m4schler
New

United States

tdrussell1 Posted at 2015-11-12 11:31
I'm fascinated by this paranoia about updating firmware.  Firmware updates contain great feature and ...

They can also cause a totally functioning new, never flown P3 to become virtually unusable.. Trust me.  I know.
2015-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules