Which Tablet/ipad for the P3P?
2187 20 2015-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Hi.Maybe somebody can help me?
I have read and read but have not come up to which tablet to have for the Phantom 3 P. I would preferred an iPad because I have Mac. But some say that the ipad 2 mini works great and others not, and dosent have a real GPS.. What I wonder is what I should have? To get the image to the screen it requires wifi? To the follow me mode it needs a GPS ?, is it the iPad Mini 2 wifi + celluar I need then? How does it is work out on the field when shooting? Do I need Internet on the ipad/tablet for follow me mode should work? or if you want to lay out a programmed flight route? to get the maps out on the field?
Or what do you suggest?
I have tried to get some answers from Dji and forums but i get so mixed answers.
I don’t want to buy the p3p and a ipad/tablet and to find out that i can’t use the follow me mode or can’t programe flight routes out on the field..
Hope that you can give me some answers.
//Daniel, Sweden.

2015-11-16
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,Daniel
iOS Version v2.4.1. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Android Version v2.4.0. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
2015-11-16
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-17 04:28
Hi ,Daniel
iOS Version v2.4.1. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhon ...

Hi.
Thanks for the reply! If I buy an ipad 2 mini wifi + celluar but do not have the internet on it, then will not the follow me mode work? I must have internet access on to ipad for the gps to work?
2015-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi Daniel
Welcome to the forum, and Phantom family. ;-)
I have an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular. They are the only ones that also contain the GPS module.
No, You don't need a cell plan, to use the Follow Me feature.
GPS does not need an Internet connection. GPS connects solely to the Satalites above.
You do a cold IMU calibration, Gimabal calibration.
Before you fly go to an open area away from any electrical or metal interference and do the drone dance, calibrate the Compass.
You can also cache your flight area maps through the Go App, when at home, or a wifi hotspot.
Enjoy your new bird, and time well spent, while on the forum.
Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

2015-11-17
Use props
Noodle
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-18 04:46
Hi Daniel
Welcome to the forum, and Phantom family. ;-)
I have an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular. They are ...

Hi RedHotPoker,
Can you explain what is the purpose of caching the flight area maps? And how do you do it on Go apps? Cheers.

P.S. Also if I think my video is not showing the horizon as horizontal as it should be, will gimbal calibration correct it?
2015-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you didn't have a Cellular network, you wouldn't have any maps at the flight areas you attend. So you cache them at home first.
When you have time, turn on your radio, drone and open the app. In the Go App, make sure Cache Maps In The Background is checked/on.
Now you are ready to cache:
Click the map in the corner that shows  you your home point. now drag or slide the map to the area you are to be flying.
When you find that location, expand the map, get as close up to the ground as possible. Now slide the map around so you are seeing the big picture,
That's pretty much it. When you get to your location, the map should be available. Sometimes you will only get a grey screen, so you just fly, in camera view, and record video, or pics as usual. When you play back the record of the flight, the terrain will be there. Thanks to the GPS unit & Google Maps.
Yes a tilted horizon, is most likely due to your IMU. Definately, but do your IMU and gimbal cal. on a kitchen counter or someplace you know to be flat.

I like to do all of my calibrations in one "go". ;-) so first a COLD IMU calibration. Chill the bird down good, and have your radio on, with app on the calibration page.
As soon as you turn on the Phantom, after initial start up, begin the IMU cal.
You know, a Phantom 3 will always have a much faster warm up period, if you do the cold IMU calibration.
Avoiding much of that PREVIOUS warming up time.

That's about it bud, all I can relate to you.
Hopefully I wrote these instructions clear enough, I was certainly wanting it to be understandably so. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2015-11-18 01:03
Hi.
Thanks for the reply! If I buy an ipad 2 mini wifi + celluar but do not have the internet on i ...

You don't the Internet when using the Follow Me . All you need are a compatible device and a Phantom 3 .
2015-11-17
Use props
Noodle
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-18 12:50
If you didn't have a Cellular network, you wouldn't have any maps at the flight areas you attend. So ...

Thank you very much for your explanation. I don't think you can be any clearer than that.
2015-11-17
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Thanks guys for the help, i hope that i can sell my p2 v.2 so i can get the p3p. Im tired of the interference I get with it.
//Daniel
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I use the iPad 2 mini, you can find them for as low as $200 now.
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2015-11-18 08:34
Thanks guys for the help, i hope that i can sell my p2 v.2 so i can get the p3p. Im tired of the int ...

You're going to love the P3P. It's like a whole new ballgame.
2015-11-18
Use props
sasoto1
lvl.1

United States

I use the mini 3 with cellular and the air 2 with cellular.  Both work great  
2015-11-18
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-18 02:50
If you didn't have a Cellular network, you wouldn't have any maps at the flight areas you attend. So ...

Thanks that was the answer i wanted!
2015-11-20
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-18 17:43
You're going to love the P3P. It's like a whole new ballgame.

I think so too! maybe i just buy one and try to sell my p2 later.
2015-11-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2015-11-20 10:55
I think so too! maybe i just buy one and try to sell my p2 later.

Yeah you could do that. But you could also end up like a lot of us with a  collection of  drones in your garage. LOL

Dave
2015-11-20
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-20 20:35
Yeah you could do that. But you could also end up like a lot of us with a  collection of  drones i ...

Haha thats right, but i sold it today. I did loose a lot of money but now i can buy a new
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2015-11-22 09:57
Haha thats right, but i sold it today. I did loose a lot of money but now i can buy a new

Good to hear.
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2015-11-22 09:57

Good to hear.
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Good to hear it
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Form software messing up again. Not posting my reply and then posting it multiple times. Sorry
2015-11-23
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-23 19:02
Form software messing up again. Not posting my reply and then posting it multiple times. Sorry

Haha, Its cool
2015-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules