Can't calibrate compass after crash
6501 7 2014-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gary
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

My Phantom2 fell out of the sky the other day, was 10mins into a flight, battery was fully charged before I started, calibrated the compass and got GPS lock before I started .It was about 10m away horizontal and about 15m high when the engines just stopped and it fell to the ground. Bent one of the legs slightly and the compass cover poped off. I have removed the Phantoms top cover and checked everything even the GPS modual and all seems ok with no visable cracks anywhere. However it now won't calibrate the compass, it will go into calibration mode and I can do the first turn and get a green light, but when I do the second turn the lights rapidly flash red. The only way this flashing lights will stop is to turn the unit off. Have conected it to my laptop and the Phantom2 assistant software displays an error 27. Going into tools and the IMU calibration all looks fine except for the compass(raw) MOD value is only 273. Have tried running a magnet around the compass heaps of times and then recalibrating but this does nothing. Any ideas what needs replacing ? Could the compass module be broken?

Thanks for any help yopu can give

Gary

2014-12-26
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Check the magnetic declination in your area  here.  Areas with a magnetic declination of more than +/- 10 degrees have reported GPS and compass problems.

- Do the compass calibration outside away from any possible magnet interference (cars, power lines, UFOs, etc)
- Place the remote control about 10 ft away from the Phantom while you're doing the calibration
- The second step is nose DOWN (camera facing down)

If you're still having issues do an advanced IMU calibration in the Vision Assistant software.

Still having issues after that take a screen capture of any error messages and post them back here.
2014-12-26
Use props
gary
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Gil,
The magnetic declination is 2 degrees west of north, have tried doing the calibration at several locations all parks well away from any power lines or structures of any sort. Still no good following all your point (which is how  I was already doing it)

The advanced IMU calibration didn't fix it either.

Have attached screen shots of the error and the IMU calibration data.

Appreciate your help

Gary
error27.jpg
compass.jpg
2014-12-27
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

I would recommend replacing the compass. I your post, you said the cover popped off. I would suspect the compass is damaged. The compass is cheap. Around $15.00. Better to be safe than wondering. Good luck. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
2014-12-27
Use props
gary
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Already got a compass on order   Hopefully that's all it is.
2014-12-27
Use props
gary
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

The new compass fixed the problem   thanks for the advice guys
2015-1-8
Use props
Jo2014
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

I posted in the forum on June 5th with the same issue with my Phantom 2 Gary (compass not calibrating), though I didn't have any crash.  I've since emailed my query to DJI Support.  Just discovered your post on the forum tonight.  I just have the magnet left to try but am not optimistic and thought the only thing I could do was try to send it back to DJI.  I'm glad to learn that replacing the compass is a possible solution.  Will order 1 too if the magnet doesn't work.
2015-6-25
Use props
garpt
New

United States

Same exact issue as OP (Gary) after a crash landing. Compass cover popped off, only physical damage was a small compression type crimp on the compass housing- the module (board) looks fine, but at this stage I hope it's not OK. That would be the easiest fix. Ordered the new module complete with the new landing skid and cable, entire assembly around $18.00 on Amazon. Hoping this solves it as this was actually my very first flight with my new P2V!
2015-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules