RAW images required for mapping
2234 3 2015-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ianellerby
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi guys
Am needing a solution where I can use mapping software to take RAW images from the Inspire 1.   MapsMadeEasy's MapPilot app only allows you to take jpegs, it works very well,  but only lets you shoot jpegs, which is not high enough quality for my project,  and it looks from specs that Pix4D software does the same.   
Does anyone know a solution for the Inspire 1?  I'm requiring high res images for high end work.  I can do it manually but for the area I need to cover it's not pratical.
Thanks Ian

2015-11-30
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

hope mapmakers of DJI forum could help you with that...
2015-11-30
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-12-1 03:43
hope mapmakers of DJI forum could help you with that...

Do you really need all those photos in raw? I'm a pro photographer who's been shooting raw for 10 years but only so I can tweak each odd photo especially weddings. For sports or something I would shoot jpeg for the speed. Most photos are perfect out the camera.

But my point is the idea behind mapping is for it to all be automated so raw would = a silly amount of post processing. Plus it takes much longer to record each photo.

Best bet is set up a custom jpeg setting. If any of the third party apps let you do that?
2015-12-2
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've not looked into detail at the inspire x5 or phantom 3 stills to be honest as I mainly fiddle with the video but.. Raw pictures are digital film negatives: IE they are raw data that you have to process & output them into something else normally jpegs or occasionally tiff files. Jpegs have a slider & its very easy to output a artifact free photo. Much like all iTunes music is mp4 not lossless & they manage to shrink 30gb blue ray films down to 3GB files.
I think even if you shot raw to start with you would batch edit & output them into jpegs & then feed that into your 3D mapping software. Im sure it'll come in the future but to me at present it will just take away our limited flight times as it takes much longer to save each raw file in the air.

But anyway try reaching out the the 3rd party dev teams and ask for it in a future upgrade. Raw processing could be usefull for dodgey exposure shots or blown highlights etc

2015-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules