Best Device for Pro 3 Control/Usage?
807 5 2015-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Digiatl256
New

United States

I bought an Android Note 4 to run the DJI software/interface when I bought my drone (Pro 3).  Works great, picture is ok, range is as deigned.  Just a private WiFi network, no cell integration at this time.

However, as I talk to people (out there) I am hearing that Apple devices (and perhaps even those with cell service integrated) have much better connection, range, video quality (ported back to the pilot) etc.  However, I have not found any hard evidence or proof that this is the case.  

Curious if anyone has a hard/official recommendation on how to maximize the video quality/range/usage of the drone just in terms of which device/handheld is paired with its use.

Would like to upgrade my experience, especially with instant vid quality back to me.  Lots of distortion/lag when running my sessions.

Thoughts?
2015-12-2
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
Please check the compatible devices list .
iOS Version v2.4.2. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Android Version v2.4.2. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.
2015-12-2
Use props
Saulsa33
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for bringing this up I was wondering this too
2015-12-2
Use props
Digiatl256
New

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-2 19:42
Hi ,
Please check the compatible devices list .
iOS Version v2.4.2. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Co ...

So the question was more around 'best results while using' than (compatibility).

For example, A can be compatible with B and C, but can leave a UIX that is lacking or just terrible.

Thus looking for opinions on the best device to fly with the drone, unless I should take the iPhone 5s/6/6 Plus as the DJI answer.

Anyone in the community have an opinion?
2015-12-2
Use props
Sinisalo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1066804 ft
  • >>>
United States

Digiatl256 Posted at 2015-12-2 23:28
So the question was more around 'best results while using' than (compatibility).

For example, A c ...

I have had excellent results with my iPhone 6 Plus. I tried a flight with my iPad mini 2 and the screen brightness was horrible. My iPhone 6 plus is easier to see with no sun shade than my iPad mini 2 is with a sun shade. Both run the app smoothly with or without hardware decode and local video cache.
2015-12-2
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Digiatl256 Posted at 2015-12-3 01:28

For example, A c ...

I hate surveys - generally just skip right by them. I tend to glance at virtually every post that shows up on the forum - don't always watch every video, just the ones that interest me.

In my "routine" it seems that there are less problems reported with iOS (Apple) devices. That's simply my perception. I'm not trying to imply that's a fact.

I flew for several months with a Samsung Galaxy S5 (smart phone). It worked more or less is about all I can say about it. Even when it did work properly, the screen on a smart phone is generally not very big.

Around Black Friday I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" size. It was relatively inexpensive (around $100 (reduced price - normally it's around $120). I bought that one because:
(a) the price was right
(b) it was bigger than my smart phone
(c) it wasn't so big as to have problems with the holder
(d) being a Samsung Galaxy it would work pretty much the same as my S5
(e) other users had reported successfully using it with their Phantom

Initially, my device did not like the software. I received a warning message that the GO app for my Phantom was not compatible with my device. After some minor frustration, I utilized some "security" settings and got the thing running.

Just about every time I fly, there's some kind of glitch. The most common is that I'll get a message that the GO app cannot be run. I end up restarting/rebooting the device and then all is well. Every once in a while I get an app crash (I'll hear the voice say "No Signal") but, generally, I double-check the orientation of my antennas on the controller, rearrange them and I'm back in business.

Fortunately, all of my app crashes/closing have occurred out in the open and not during a critical, close-in photo shoot.

I suspect the sequence of events has something to do with my problem. I typically turn on the remote controller, then the Phantom, then turn on the tablet. I think I tried turning on the tablet before turning on the RC, but it doesn't seem to matter. I end up having to restart my Tab 4 anyway.

I just look at it as a minor inconvenience. Haven't yet figured out the perfect sequence of starting up - if there is one!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg
da-di-dah
2015-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules