Tablet Question
914 6 2015-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timan24
New

United States

I am new to drones. From what I have been reading to be able to utilize the Follow Me and Dynamic Home feature I must have a tablet with cellular. I know I've read I actually do not have to have a data plan but it uses the gps from the device. My question is does it matter on the carrier? I've been looking online at buying one and can get a better deal on a sprint or t-mobile or unlocked. I looked on th e forums and tried scouring the Internet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2015-12-5
Use props
gklugie
New

United States

I am new also, however, I do not think you need to have a carrier.  The P3 connects to your tablet via WiFi.  Proof?  ..... I use a wifi only tablet.
2015-12-5
Use props
timan24
New

United States

gklugie@gmail.c Posted at 2015-12-6 08:34
I am new also, however, I do not think you need to have a carrier.  The P3 connects to your tablet v ...

Can you still use the follow me feature or the return to home?
2015-12-5
Use props
gklugie
New

United States

timan24 Posted at 2015-12-5 18:39
Can you still use the follow me feature or the return to home?

Dunno

Have not tried them yet.    I am a bit of an "old school" rc airplane pilot.... my eyes are on the Phantom 90% of the time rather than jinking around with the go app.
2015-12-5
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

You need a tablet/device with GPS to use Follow-Me.  Follow me uses the GPS in the device as the reference.  You do not need cellular connectivity.
2015-12-5
Use props
timan24
New

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-6 10:03
You need a tablet/device with GPS to use Follow-Me.  Follow me uses the GPS in the device as the ref ...

Awesome thanks!

Now does it matter if the device is unlocked? I know where I am I get good AT&T and Verizon. Not so sure on coverage for Sprint or T-mobile.

I wouldn't have cellular conneticivity. Just using it for gps / follow me function.
2015-12-5
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

If the GPS works, that is all that is required.  Cellular - unlocked or not should have nothing to do with it.  I have used follow-me and I fly with a Wi-Fi only tablet.
2015-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules