Need Better Explanation about Maps
1107 11 2015-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

When I first got my Phantom 3 Pro (May 2015), I used my Samsung Galaxy S5 smart-phone, so there's cellular service (at least there's service where I normally fly). But I've seen questions now and then about what device to buy and does one need GPS, does one need cellular, etc.

A few weeks ago I purchased a Samsung Tab 4 7" tablet. it was inexpensive, but I've quickly come to the conclusion that it isn't relaly too much bigger than my phone. I've also re-analyzed and figured my budget can support one of the iOS devices. The one I've actually got my eye on is an iPad Mini 2 with WiFi, but not cellular. The device will be a little bit bigger, slightly different detail available with the GO app - maybe even slightly better resolution.

My knowledge of computers, networks, WiFi - you name it - is sufficient to make me dangerous. I see comments here that "...you don't need cellular to use the maps. Just browse at home with WiFi...." blah, blah, blah.

Could someone hold my hand and talk me through the specific steps? I know what a cache is, but what do you physically do with the map (at home) so it's "useable" when you go out into the field and the WiFi is not available?

Many thanks.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

2015-12-7
Use props
JonE5
lvl.2

United States

I tried this last night by using rubberbands and the case for my ipad mini 2 to clamp it on to the P3S control.  I noticed that when i first downloaded the DJI go app the maps were there, but gray with no data.

I then disconnected from the Phantom wifi and back to my home wifi, and opened up the Maps App.  I scrolled around and zoomed out a little to get maps for the surrounding few miles.  I then connected back to the Phantom's wifi, and when i opened up the DjiGo app the map data was there!

Not sure how this would work if you had to drive to a far location, but worked for me flying down the street.

Can anyone else give feedback on this will always work or not? What the limitations are?

2015-12-7
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

JonE5 Posted at 2015-12-7 10:04
I tried this last night by using rubberbands and the case for my ipad mini 2 to clamp it on to the P ...

Thanks Jon. That pretty much describes what I did, except that I haven't yet hooked my tablet back up to see if the maps are actually there.

Thanks for your feedback.

Art - N4PJ
\Leesburg, FL
2015-12-7
Use props
Fieldstone
lvl.2

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-7 17:45
Thanks Jon. That pretty much describes what I did, except that I haven't yet hooked my tablet back ...

All you need to do is go to google maps or whatever (using wifi) at home or wherever. Just let the map load wherever youre going to fly. Thats it.It will then be cached.
2015-12-7
Use props
Fieldstone
lvl.2

United States

JonE5 Posted at 2015-12-7 10:04
I tried this last night by using rubberbands and the case for my ipad mini 2 to clamp it on to the P ...

Its worked for me up to about 20 miles away. The only limit i can think of is maybe the amount of space allocated on your device to caching
2015-12-7
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Fieldstone Posted at 2015-12-7 18:07
Its worked for me up to about 20 miles away. The only limit i can think of is maybe the amount of  ...

I hadn't thought about that. Might be prudent to order a device with 23GB instead of simply 16GB. I have no idea how much space a map(s) might take up!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-7
Use props
Fieldstone
lvl.2

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-7 18:28
I hadn't thought about that. Might be prudent to order a device with 23GB instead of simply 16GB.  ...

I have 16gb ipad and i dont have any issues with storage.Every now and then ill delete the cached flight videos...mainly because i dont need them. The cached maps dont use much storage at all. I have a few flights worth of cached videos,the go app, the apps the come one the ipad, the operating system of course and all my cached maps and still have 10gb free.Im good for alot more flights without deleting anything.
2015-12-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-8 10:28
I hadn't thought about that. Might be prudent to order a device with 23GB instead of simply 16GB.  ...

The map caching size is set somewhere in the  software.  
Buying a tablet with more storage won't allow you to store more maps.
16GB is plenty for flying.  
You'd only need more if you wanted to do a lot of other things with the tablet.
2015-12-7
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

There is a way to make your cell phone a wifi hot spot.  You can then connect your tablet to it and download maps.  You could take your phone to your service provider and they should be able to show you how to set it up as a hot spot.
2015-12-7
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-7 20:04
The map caching size is set somewhere in the  software.  
Buying a tablet with more storage won't  ...

Well, I probably went the overkill route. I think I ultimately ordered one with 32GB RAM. I don't normally cache videos when I'm flying. Maybe with the extra memory it will allow me to do quite a few. I'll have to play with that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-8
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2015-12-7 23:11
There is a way to make your cell phone a wifi hot spot.  You can then connect your tablet to it and  ...

Thanks. Yes, done the hot-spot thing a number of times. In late spring last year, my wife and I took a 10,000+ mile trip around the country. (Mostly out west and to the northwest - my daughter lives in Seattle.) We used one of our phones to provide a hot spot and had internet coverage in some surprising places.

We've had Sprint cellular for years and you can turn on/off the hot spot function on a daily basis, i.e., turn it on for a day or two when you need it, then turn it off on demand

Thanks for the feedback/info.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-8
Use props
egilbert300
New
Flight distance : 291568 ft
United States

Fieldstone Posted at 2015-12-7 17:59
All you need to do is go to google maps or whatever (using wifi) at home or wherever. Just let the  ...

Fieldstone, thank you for your assistance, however I tried this and it did not work for me.  I went to google maps and it located me.  I then went to the app and there was still nothing in my maps.  Any idea on what I could be doing wrong?  Is there a setting in the app that would prevent me for seeing the map?  Thank you for your assistance.

E. Gilbert KJ4CZE
2016-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules