1325 9 2015-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wingedwraith
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192215 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

As a CAA registered pilot in the UK (living close to the second busiest UK airport) I sometimes get asked to take on jobs that border on or are within CAA restricted zones. Currently I have to investigate and if necessary turn down these jobs as my work Inspire will not 'let me' fly in these zones even though I am allowed to with my certification and appropriate ATC/Z approvals.

Someone previously told me that if you can prove your official qualification to DJI that they will issue an override for this 'feature' in your area of permission, for me the UK and Crown Protectorates.

Is this true? Can I get this from DJI?

At the moment this barrier is anti-competitive for me and I'm losing potential work because of it, to sort it I'd have to move away from using DJI equipment.

Any comments appreciated.

Neil

2015-12-8
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There's supposed to be knew firmware coming in December at some point to allow you to overrule certain no fly zones by tying your drone into your DJI account. Exactly how this will work I don't know. I'm not quite sure if the idea is to allow everyone to be traceable with a drone or to allow pilots such as yourself & me to do our jobs. We will see.
2015-12-8
Use props
Wingedwraith
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192215 ft
United Kingdom

dopeytree Posted at 2015-12-8 15:13
There's supposed to be knew firmware coming in December at some point to allow you to overrule certa ...

Thanks for the feedback, let's see if someone from DJI comments on this thread as I have had various hints from other pilots on how to get this override from DJI. I'll give a couple a go and share the results with you.

Just frustrating that there is not a basic route to do this especially as I am flying what they consider to be a 'professional' aircraft.

Cheers

Neil
2015-12-9
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wingedwraith Posted at 2015-12-9 13:40
Thanks for the feedback, let's see if someone from DJI comments on this thread as I have had vario ...

Neil, you need to contact DJI here flysafe@dji.com. Tell them your requirements and you'll need to send in your PFAW etc.
2015-12-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Neil,

You can also go to the DJI dealer Heliguy who can help with completing a standard DJI form.  However you will need to demonstrate that you have permission from the CAA and local ATC for work in proximity it the respective airfield and controlled airspace.  Once you can provide all the necessary paperwork this is submitted to DJI who are able to give access.  Not sure if this is a temporary measure or once you have it it overrides no-fly zones permanently.

If you have any problems give Heliguy a call they are good guys and will help.  They used to have the DJI form with the list of required information that you will need to provide on their website.

Hope this helps
2015-12-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-12-9 21:54
Neil,

You can also go to the DJI dealer Heliguy who can help with completing a standard DJI form.   ...

No you cant - I have had long discussions with Joel and Justin over at Heliguy and basically it was a useless 'service' that never worked.
They have catagorically confirmed that not one single application has been approved and most go completely unanswered by DJI. These are all from PFAW holders with all the correct permissions and identification etc.

The (non) service is useless.
2015-12-10
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-12-9 21:54
Neil,

You can also go to the DJI dealer Heliguy who can help with completing a standard DJI form.   ...

No you cant - I have had long discussions with Joel and Justin over at Heliguy and basically it was a useless 'service' that never worked.
They have catagorically confirmed that not one single application has been approved and most go completely unanswered by DJI. These are all from PFAW holders with all the correct permissions and identification etc.

The (non) service is useless.
2015-12-10
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2015-12-10 09:04
No you cant - I have had long discussions with Joel and Justin over at Heliguy and basically it wa ...

Not sure abou the unanswered part. I know at least 15 PFAW holders who applied to DJI and all emails were answered very quickly. My application was sorted out in two days with several email between myself and DJI. They do ask you to sign an NDA so I can't say more than that about how it's done.
2015-12-10
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2015-12-10 11:42
Not sure abou the unanswered part. I know at least 15 PFAW holders who applied to DJI and all emai ...

So are you actually saying you have had NFZ's lifted either temporarily or permanently direct from DJI?
2015-12-10
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is the info about the new system it should be out very soon! https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-fly-safe-system

Q:  I am authorized to fly closer than five miles from an airport.  How will this work?

In Authorization zones such as the one you mention, an operator simply needs a verified DJI account and uses the DJI GO application to unlock the area. Making sure that you are authorized is your responsibility.

Q:  How do I verify my DJI account?

By providing a credit card, debit card, or mobile phone number. DJI will not collect or store this information.  We may add other verification methods in the future.

Q:  I’m a commercial operator.  Does this apply to me?

The GEO system will provide the same information to every operator. We understand that regulations may vary depending on whether your operation is commercial, recreational, educational, humanitarian, or governmental. DJI drones are, by far, the most popular brand in all categories, which is why our system will allow for flexible unlocking based on operator judgment. Also, a drone used on Sunday for recreation might be used on Wednesday for business. Because the main functionality of geofencing is to provide information and assist in preventing unintended operations in areas that raise concerns, the system generally has been designed with newcomer recreational operators in mind. Commercial operators are generally expected to research and know about restrictions and conditions that may apply to their operations. The unlocking mechanism allows each user to make an appropriate individual operational decision independent of the guidance that is provided by DJI.

Q:  Will GEO prevent me from flying in places where I can fly today?

We are expanding the number and types of areas that are included, but also providing a self-authorizing unlock feature. That means, by simply using a verified account, you will actually be able to fly in more locations than you can today under our current system, including indoor locations that happen to be near airports. You may need to complete a few additional steps, but we think that extra work helps increase awareness of safety concerns. If you aren’t able to unlock an area, it may be because your location is particularly sensitive (such as the area near Washington, D.C.), or because the regulations have changed.

2015-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules