Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New helipad installed for my p3 standard
1107 5 2015-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wmw1490
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40269 ft
United States

Instead of landing on the grass/weeds I had a local sign company make me a helipad.  First landing was a success and many more to come.  I ran it up 30', let it hover and then enabled the auto land to see if it would make it inside the circle.  Very windy day, and it landed on the circle each time during about 5 test landings.  A couple of times towards the edge, but that's better than landing on a rough surface.  

2015-12-10
Use props
leenanj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice landing pad
That's what Amazon will be sending out to customers that want drone delivery.
2015-12-10
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.2
United States

Yes, mine lacks the intelligence to tell the p3 to land here.  When I get brave enough I'll do a longer flight and a return to home to see if it lands within the circle.  
2015-12-10
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.2
United States

Here's another attempt from higher, around 50' above ground level--the wind was causing some drift so I took over from the auto land.  The view is near Monroe, GA pointing north.  We have a farm and the view is the north section of the land--in the distance is a Walmart distribution center.  (meaning big trucks 24x7)

2015-12-10
Use props
leenanj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does your auto land actually hit the pad?

Mine is almost always several feet off so I take over manually.

I think the closest the auto ever got was about two feet.
2015-12-10
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.2
United States

leenanj Posted at 2015-12-10 22:18
Does your auto land actually hit the pad?

Mine is almost always several feet off so I take over man ...

Yes, the first video is completely auto takeoff, manual up to 30' then an auto land.  I did 5 more and it always made it to the helipad.  Keep in mind, the helipad is 48" across and that seems to be plenty of room for the auto land.  When I went higher, second video, I had to take over during the auto land as I could tell it would be off the mark.  

The auto land is a nice feature, but after a while you'll find most landings are manual.  It's an easy quad to settle gently down.  One thing you'll notice about the auto land (see the first video) is the bird will come in close to the ground, stop, go up a few inches and settle back to the ground.  Makes it easy to recognize an auto land as they all seem to look the same with that "air bounce" before final touchdown.  
2015-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules