FAA to require registration of UAV's
1628 19 2015-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Starship
lvl.4

United States

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_re ... ry.cfm?newsId=19856

This will also affect RC pilots, as they are also considered UAV's.  Even the AMA couldn't stop it from happening.
2015-12-14
Use props
Richardrambone
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

How is the FAA going to prove that I new about this new law if I've owned my drones for a few years?
2015-12-14
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

They will just use "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".   They are the feds, they can do anything they want.
2015-12-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am afraid this is another way to control and generate revenue. The models over 55 lbs. don't have to register? So when Amazon starts using UAVs they can do it for free?

These is no way this can be monitored or enforced.

Rich
2015-12-14
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-14 21:48
I am afraid this is another way to control and generate revenue. The models over 55 lbs. don't have  ...

Over 55 pounds subjects the aircraft to much MORE stringent regulations, not less.
2015-12-15
Use props
pxfctry
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5059882 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good info here... https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/  , many questions are answered.
$5 is for 3 years, very reasonable in my opinion to help keep our NAS as safe as possible.
2015-12-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-15 10:48
I am afraid this is another way to control and generate revenue. The models over 55 lbs. don't have  ...

Rich you hit it right on the nail. This is unlawful in my opinion. Who passed the law? Is this an actual law or something that the FAA typed up over the past few months to place into action? The next thing will be tracking how much toilet paper you use and how you wipe your a#$ and paying a fine if you flush to much or use to much!
2015-12-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-12-15 05:49
Over 55 pounds subjects the aircraft to much MORE stringent regulations, not less.

Hey Pete,

Not trying to argue about this point... but I doubt  the rules will be more stringent. Ultralights (aircraft you ride in) are subject to the under 250 lbs. rule.... and this is totally unregulated by the gov. You can buy one of these aircraft kits (made by anyone in their little shop)  and then proceed to go out and kill yourself flying it.

I have been around aviation a long time. This move is all about more regulations that can not be enforced. The days that the USA was a free nation are over!

Rich
2015-12-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-15 19:04
Rich you hit it right on the nail. This is unlawful in my opinion. Who passed the law? Is this an  ...

Hey SS

I am afraid this is opening up a very narrow path for us to follow. It is a sad day in our nation to resort to regulations of all model aircraft (even the hobby models being flown in controlled areas).

If someone wants to break the rules and fly one of the aircraft badly..... they are not going to register the thing... Its just as bad as gun control...  All the good people follow the rules and the bad ones laugh behind our backs

As far as who voted.... nobody did and they ignored the AMA suggestions and guidelines completely that participated with the rules committee.
Rich
2015-12-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-16 11:52
Hey SS

I am afraid this is opening up a very narrow path for us to follow. It is a sad day in our ...

It's concerning to say the least how our government is sounding more and more communist as the years go by.

Are we really free?

You can't even say the pledge of allegiance in school, you can't even pray. I think DJI made a serious mistake talking with FAA. It's going to kick them right in the kisser! This is going to cost toy companies billions. Most parents are going to say "I'm not buying you that, you have to have a permit!" Then goes the drones / uav(s).
2015-12-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-15 21:59
It's concerning to say the least how our government is sounding more and more communist as the yea ...

Agree,

This is going to change the way parents look at certain toys and the drone makers are going to limit the weight just to hit the market for people like this...

Rich
2015-12-16
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

It is going to be a big setback for drones period! Watch and see! Drone makers are going to take the blunt trauma and lose millions to billions. Watch and see. It will change everything. R/C planes have to file too. Not just us. Total BS!
2015-12-16
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Right on and you are 100% right Flyin, and the fact is most sit back and do nothing. I've noticed the majority of the post are "oh just pay the fee" it will be alright. Yea right! No one is fighting the issue! And that is the problem my friends. Couldn't we start a petition, start from there and move forward. The pen is mightier than the sword!
2015-12-18
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-18 22:30
bureaucrats passed this law.  Not congress... It's illegal.

That's not true.  The FAA has the authority (given by Congress) to require registration of any aircraft.

This is from the FAA faq's   ....... read number 2.  If you choose not to register, it's up to you.

General
Q1. What is the definition of a UAS? Is it different from a drone?
A. A UAS is an unmanned aircraft system. A drone and a UAS are the same for registration purposes.
Q2. Does the FAA have the authority to require registration of UAS used by modelers and hobbyists?
A. Yes. By statute all aircraft are required to register. Congress has defined "aircraft" to include UAS, regardless of whether they are operated by modelers and hobbyists.
Q3. What is the penalty for failing to register?
A. Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
Q4. Will an operator be required to have proof of registration while operating the UAS?
A. Yes. You will be required to have your FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating your unmanned aircraft.
Q5. Why do I need to register?
A. Federal law requires aircraft registration. Registration helps us ensure safety – for you, others on the ground, and manned aircraft. UAS pose new security and privacy challenges and must be traceable in the event of an incident. It will also help enable the return of your UAS should it be lost.
Q6. Where can I find information about operating my UAS safely?
A. You can find safety and operating guidance on the internet at www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft. The unmanned aircraft systems website contains important safety guidance as well as other facts and information.
2015-12-20
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

I read today that all registrants full name, private address, age, and aircraft type will be made available to the general public through a search database. So essentially little 13 year old Timmy with a Phantom will have his home address posted for all the creeps to see.

Someone has got to put a stop to this. Typical knee jerk reaction from our modern PC Nanny State (we know whats best for you) Government. -- Less than 1% of the idiots with a Phantom fly where they shouldn't and they penalize the rest of us responsible pilots.
2015-12-20
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-12-21 01:25
I read today that all registrants full name, private address, age, and aircraft type will be made av ...

I checked on this, and unless it's changed in the last 24 hours, they can only search by tail number.  In other words, you need the exact tail number to put into the search field.  There will be no "wild card" type searches.  

You can search tail numbers for full size aircraft already, so I don't see a huge issue.
2015-12-21
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

So what happens if you sell your UAV, and the new owner doesn't register or change the registration? You may well be on the hook for his actions! I'm thinking resale value is plummeting. Not that I plan to sell mine, but inter-person sales, have always been a bugaboo for government regulators. Similar to firearms in the United States, and regardless of your personal views on such, it IS legal to sell between individuals with no records of sale (at least within state boundries), thus government regulations become nearly unenforcable. Bureaucratic despots can reek havoc on entire industries with the stroke of an UNELECTED pen, and unfortuantely the only solution is political pressure to reverse/subdue the previously issued or proposed regulation. It CAN work and there are recent examples of same. At the risk of invoking another 2nd amendment simile, last year's proposal by the  BATFE  to ban the sale of certain types of .223 Remington ammunition as "having no sporting purpose" , was met with such vociferous public outcry that the whole idea was dropped! BATFE HAS the authority to make such rules without congressional involvement, exactly as the FAA has. Only political pressure brought by outraged  VOTERS who implied threat of non-reelection to the political overseers of said agency, brought results. With that said, I realize the UAV/hobbyists organizations have far less political clout, but that does not preclude trying! Acquiescence to inane government regulations is a certain way to get MORE of them. I don't plan to register at this point, but I am a hobbyist, not a commercial user; they probably have no choice if they want to go on making a living. I DO plan to bombard my legislators with my viewpoint on this subject. Only if enough of us do this will there be a chance to reverse this traverse on the FAA's slippery slope.
2015-12-21
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-12-21 08:15
So what happens if you sell your UAV, and the new owner doesn't register or change the registration? ...

You are the one who is registered, not your quad.   They don't care what you fly.  You will be given a "tail number"..... ONE tail number.  Not one for every RC craft you have.  If you fly a quad, and an RC ariplane or heli, they will all be on the same tail number.  If you sell your quad, you just remove the tail number.

And as of 8:30 Dec 21, the registration site is not yet open.  Probably programmed by the same people who did the "affordable care act" website.
2015-12-21
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-21 07:13
You can search tail numbers for full size aircraft already, so I don't see a huge issue.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx

The UAV database is going to be the same, or similar.   The sky, contrary to Chicken Little, is not falling.
2015-12-21
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Interesting Article
2015-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules