652 4 2015-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
asadikhan
New

Canada

Hi,

I just took my P3 out for its first flight today. I wanted to know two things:

1) I am currently using an iPad mini with no data (wifi only). Is this ok? Is there an advantage/recommendation to use a device with cellular data on it? I could use my phone but like the form factor of the iPad mini? Could I use the data off my cell phone in that case, if it makes a difference in the first place?

2) When storing the P3, do you guys plug in the clear plastic holder that came with it when shipping? Or do you just let the camera be? Is one approach better than the other? Anything causes the damage to camera?

Thanks in advance.

2015-12-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I use the gimbal clamp that came with the aircraft to hold the gimbal in place when it is in my hard case, and I would recommend you use at least some form of clamp to hold the gimbal still while it is being moved around.

You do not have to have an iPad with cellular service, nothing in the Phantom system uses the cellular service at all. However iPads without Cellular capability also do not have GPS receivers in them, so you would not be able to use the 'Follow Me' function. But that's about the only disadvantage. Apparently you can use an iPhone to link the GPS function, others may advise on this.
2015-12-14
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

With GPS, you can also reset the home point to your current location. That's a good idea if you're going to be moving to a different location after you take off.

FYI, if you decide to upgrade to a cellular iPad Mini model, you can use GPS even if the cellular service has not been activated.
2015-12-14
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Like Geebox said, you can use ipad perfectly except for the follow me funtion since it requires the GPS module of the mobile device (ipad mini 2 at least).DJI GO app:
iOS Version v2.4.2. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Android Version v2.4.3. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

Also, please make sure the device is in the supporting list of DJI GO app. About the gimbal clamp, it's used to protect the vibration damage which might be caused during tranportation. It's highly suggested that you use that clamp to fix the gimbal axis.
2015-12-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A device with Celluar network activated, can stream live video by the drone, in flight, directly to YouTube, from the boonies.
I like to roam around some when I fly, so having the ability to transfer my Home Point to my radio location is awesome, and a handy feature.

RedHotPoker

2015-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules